Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.
    I am completely impressed by the amount of underlying thought that went into this comment. It was also clearly written. 

1) Thank you for noticing.  Writing medical research manuscripts and textbooks forces one to be precise in language.

2) I merged what I have learned here with the Harvard brisket cooker project to come up with my thoughts on this.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/#:~:text=The Harvard BBQ team spent,he is of his students.

3) To my knowledge, not a single egghead has ever adopted this view or technique even though I have mentioned it dozens of times here.
    Does that include yourself?
    No. I do it.

I guess I still have some work to do on my writing clarity - especially for those who intend to intentionally misinterpret.
    Can one unintentionally intentionally misinterpret?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.
    I am completely impressed by the amount of underlying thought that went into this comment. It was also clearly written. 

1) Thank you for noticing.  Writing medical research manuscripts and textbooks forces one to be precise in language.

2) I merged what I have learned here with the Harvard brisket cooker project to come up with my thoughts on this.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/#:~:text=The Harvard BBQ team spent,he is of his students.

3) To my knowledge, not a single egghead has ever adopted this view or technique even though I have mentioned it dozens of times here.

fill a wok with sand and cook the brisket over it, i used a tankend for high temp broiling.  you can actually hover a blue ball of flame over the food at high temps.  have not tried it at low temps but see it working. the round bottom redirects the heat up and outward

Pizza Napoletana Update  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate  Cooking Experience

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'mn confused
    Um, I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  :tongue:   ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:

Does that include yourself?
    No. I do it.

I guess I still have some work to do on my writing clarity - especially for those who intend to intentionally misinterpret.
    LOL.  I think the lack of precision is what did you in on that one, not the clarity.

I am actually genuinely curious however as to what your setup looked like for this, and that's why I asked.  Well, in addition to wanting to poke the bear.  
    Here is the setup for when I am only cooking one brisket and I am maximally blocking heat.  Sometimes I just use one layer of foil.  Note that some of these pictures were taken after a cook so I apologize for the dirty foil.

Platesetter:

Then foil (on some foil balls to create an air gap):

Then the grate:

Then some more foil on the grate:

Then the grate where the brisket will actually be cooked:

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Foghorn - thanks.  Have you placed a probe on the top layer of foil to check about what kind of a delta in temp you're able to obtain between the air underneath the brisket vs the dome?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Steve Raichlen should be in the BBQ Hall of Fame!

Oh wait... he already is (inducted in 2015, as was Ed Fisher).

Nevermind.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @Foghorn - I remember when that article first appeared.  Hard to believe it has been 5 years.  Whatever process works for you is all that matters.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad lump, just bad cooks.
    Options
    @Foghorn - thanks.  Have you placed a probe on the top layer of foil to check about what kind of a delta in temp you're able to obtain between the air underneath the brisket vs the dome?
    I have not.  However, my son and I were talking about how I need to get a grate thermometer...

If I'm going to be this stubborn about this issue I should probably have that information.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I have not.  However, my son and I were talking about how I need to get a grate thermometer...

If I'm going to be this stubborn about this issue I should probably have that information.
    Would there be any method for comparing smoke quality high in the dome versus just above the first platesetter? That could be a contributing factor to flavor for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I agree.  I am a little skeptical that this arrangement is able to *maintain* all that large of a delta over a sustained period of time, but I'd put more stock in it if I saw some data that indicated otherwise.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    you forgot the best pickle:  Pickle Rick

Season 3 GIF by Rick and Morty - Find  Share on GIPHYGET THAT PARKOUR - PICKLE RICK  rickandmorty

you forgot the best pickle:  Pickle Rick

Season 3 GIF by Rick and Morty - Find  Share on GIPHYGET THAT PARKOUR - PICKLE RICK  rickandmorty

My kids just refer to him as “Prick” for short.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Nevermind.

And Congratulations
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I agree.  I am a little skeptical that this arrangement is able to *maintain* all that large of a delta over a sustained period of time, but I'd put more stock in it if I saw some data that indicated otherwise.  
    I'm not really looking to maintain a large - or any - real delta per se.  I'm really just trying to ensure that no heat is directly - or nearly directly - rising onto the bottom of the meat.  As long as I don't need to put the fat down to protect the meat from the heat then I'm going with the fat side up.  My guess is that there may be a 10 - 20 degree difference between what the center of the underside (cooler) of the brisket sees compared to what the top (warmer) of the brisket sees - but even if there is no difference I'm still going with the fat up.  I might even do it if the underside is 5 degrees warmer - as long as it's not going to burn.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:

Would there be any method for comparing smoke quality high in the dome versus just above the first platesetter? That could be a contributing factor to flavor for sure. 
    That's a good question that I wouldn't even know how to answer - except maybe by cooking 2 briskets simultaneously on the 2 different levels.  Hmmm...

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:

That's a good question that I wouldn't even know how to answer - except maybe by cooking 2 briskets simultaneously on the 2 different levels.  Hmmm...
    This might be @nolaegghead wheelhouse but here's a thought: I think liquid smoke is made by allowing water to absorb smoke and then reducing the water. What if you had two containers of water at each level and allow them to absorb smoke. Then maybe equal volumes could be compared for particle concentration? Would that give any linear comparison to flavor? Would less dense particles be more concentrated in the upper container causing a different flavor profile?
    Hmmmm. We need a mass spectrometer....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn Would you be willing to explain your preference for fat side up if the meat is exposed to a uniform heat source? You don't need the fat to insulate the meat in this situation. Is it a flavor preference? It seems the bark would suffer with fat side up.
    I love this place and what I'm able to learn here.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kamado cookers are never the best option for cooking anything
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Nevermind.

Who is Steve Raichlen? And I didn’t know there was an actual BBQ hall
    of fame......

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Interesting read. Thanks for that!

Even ordered the book.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Interesting read. Thanks for that!

Even ordered the book.
    It is fascinating for sure, and when I first learned the story I was very surprised.  I have not read the book the excerpt is from, but have read other articles and books that reference the studies.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I inject brisket.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @SciAggie, I just like fat side up.  I've never really done a comparison cook. 

I know this:

- there's no data to support fat side up when it has been studied
    - Aaron Franklin said he would cook fat side down on a kamado - but he cooks fat side up on his offset and he cooks the best brisket I've tasted.
    - After touring his pits with his manager and learning this I took it as a challenge to create an environment in the egg whereby the top of the brisket would see at least as much heat as the bottom.
    - This happened about the time that the Harvard project made the news which suggested I could incorporate some of their principles into my process.
    - Since that time my brisket game improved significantly such that on 75% of my brisket cooks I'd put my results up there with any brisket I've ever tasted.

I don't know if having the fat up is actually important in the process - but I don't want to mess with success.

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    - Since that time my brisket game improved significantly such that on 75% of my brisket cooks I'd put my results up there with any brisket I've ever tasted.

And that ^^^^^^ is the only thing that matters brother horn. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• AB1234
    AB1234 Posts: 28
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I cut the fat cap off of my pork butts before I cook them.  You don't need it to "melt" into the pork while it cooks.
    Orlando
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn Hard to argue with that. Thanks. I can fully appreciate the “don’t mess with what works” philosophy as well. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon