Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Foghorn said:
    When cooked properly, the meat of the flat of a brisket tastes better than the point.  If it doesn't, you didn't cook it right.

oof - I got punched in the gut on this one!  Good call, ouch, but good call.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @sumoconnell I know, right. Some of these comments make you want to argue and then you remember - that's the point - it's an unpopular opinion, lol.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ketchup sucks. So does mustard. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    the smoke doesnt add flavor once the meat reaches 140 degrees.  thats the one i see most often on this forum
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,332
    Smashburgers kinda suck.
    Las Vegas, NV

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,109
    U_tarded said:
    Rudy’s bbq chain in Texas is delicious.
    I wouldnt go as far as delicious but I would say its always at minimum an A- which is more than I can say for other famous places in the ATX.  Ive had awful Q at all the top names- generally brisket.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Instapot cooks better brisket than egg.
    canuckland
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,109
    Low and Slow is the way to cook...... PP, Brisket, Chicken.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    sobriety and the backyard barbecue
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FTC is not a necessary step and doesn't make anything better. It is a great option to have for holding meat when needed for timing (e.g. the butt/brisket finished at 1 PM and dinner is at 6 PM). If the butt/brisket is finished and you are ready to eat, then set it on the counter uncovered for 20 minutes and pull or slice it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,681
    Not nearly enough post their failed cooks 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Used Eggs make great bidets.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    lkapigian said:
    Not nearly enough post their failed cooks 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,315

KJ's are better than BGE's.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• To be clear the unpopular opinion here is supposed to be one that you actually hold.  Not one you think other people hold that you don’t like.

It’s your opinion, and you’re pretty sure most here would disagree with it, because you think it’s unpopular.  That’s the idea.

Most of the posts so far seem to get this.  But some of you... some of you maybe need to put the peace pipe away before you post.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    okay... Now I see the rubric...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2020
    Miracle Whip is better than Mayonnaise. 

For certain sex acts  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    To be clear the unpopular opinion here is supposed to be one that you actually hold.  
    I had it backwards.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Scales are overrated.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    "Chili" with beans isn't really chili.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chili is just glorified dip.  
  • SGH
    Chili without beans is just a turd colorant. 

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    caliking said:
    Scales are overrated.
    Yeah.  I thought about putting that in just to get on some people's nerves - but - from the beginning - I understood that we should only post opinions that we actually hold.  So, I left if for you to express the minority opinion on this topic...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I'mn confused
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Pellet poopers are cheating.
    I agree
  • Foghorn
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.
    I am completely impressed by the amount of underlying thought that went into this comment. It was also clearly written. 

1) Thank you for noticing.  Writing medical research manuscripts and textbooks forces one to be precise in language.

2) I merged what I have learned here with the Harvard brisket cooker project to come up with my thoughts on this.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/#:~:text=The Harvard BBQ team spent,he is of his students.

3) To my knowledge, not a single egghead has ever adopted this view or technique even though I have mentioned it dozens of times here.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.
    I am completely impressed by the amount of underlying thought that went into this comment. It was also clearly written. 

1) Thank you for noticing.  Writing medical research manuscripts and textbooks forces one to be precise in language.

2) I merged what I have learned here with the Harvard brisket cooker project to come up with my thoughts on this.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/#:~:text=The Harvard BBQ team spent,he is of his students.

3) To my knowledge, not a single egghead has ever adopted this view or technique even though I have mentioned it dozens of times here.
    Does that include yourself?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:

No. I do it.

I guess I still have some work to do on my writing clarity - especially for those who intend to intentionally misinterpret.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    SciAggie said:
    Foghorn said:

No. I do it.

I guess I still have some work to do on my writing clarity - especially for those who intend to intentionally misinterpret.
    LOL.  I think the lack of precision is what did you in on that one, not the clarity.

I am actually genuinely curious however as to what your setup looked like for this, and that's why I asked.  Well, in addition to wanting to poke the bear.