Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Comments

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 631
    All bbq is overrated. No bbq would make my “last meal top 10” list.  
    OK, so what would make your top ten?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,315
    Foghorn said:
    @SciAggie, I just like fat side up.  I've never really done a comparison cook. 

I know this:

- there's no data to support fat side up when it has been studied
    - Aaron Franklin said he would cook fat side down on a kamado - but he cooks fat side up on his offset and he cooks the best brisket I've tasted.
    - After touring his pits with his manager and learning this I took it as a challenge to create an environment in the egg whereby the top of the brisket would see at least as much heat as the bottom.
    - This happened about the time that the Harvard project made the news which suggested I could incorporate some of their principles into my process.
    - Since that time my brisket game improved significantly such that on 75% of my brisket cooks I'd put my results up there with any brisket I've ever tasted.

I don't know if having the fat up is actually important in the process - but I don't want to mess with success.
    Members of that Harvard team worked with KJ to develop their Slōroller - https://www.kamadojoe.com/collections/accessories/products/kamado-joe®-sloroller-w-stainless-steel-cooking-rack?variant=32532429701171

They sell it as a separate accessory and the Big Joe model might fit in an XL. Maybe.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    edited October 2020
    Dawgtired said:
    Sounds like a new thread. Or maybe a thread called "death row meal". :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    HeavyG said:
    Dawgtired said:

Not Big Herc, that's for damn sure.
    HeavyG said:
    Dawgtired said:
    Death Row Meal: How I'd do it?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Foghorn said:
    That's a good question that I wouldn't even know how to answer - except maybe by cooking 2 briskets simultaneously on the 2 different levels.  Hmmm...
    Those of us who have sliced a raw brisket in half, cross-wise, and set them cut side together into the smoker, but with one half inverted, know the answer.  And it's pretty damn clear-cut.

But we're not telling.  :tongue:  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• nolaegghead
    9.8m/s^2
    Cedar Plank anything taste just like .... cedar, yuck  :)

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Dawgtired said:
    Cen-Tex is a big fan of Arby's. Big time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Fascinating story, that I'd not seen before.  
    I had a bit of a background in reliability/statistics, AND in Air Force ejection systems/CAD-PAD (10 years).  Was involved in figuring out the differences that women presented in an ejection seat; basically a male pilot has broader shoulders and narrower hips (well, most of 'em) and a higher center of gravity, while female pilots had narrower shoulders and wider hips (again, most of 'em) hence a lower CG.  This had a pretty big effect on the ejection sequence, and required a lot of tweaking on later seats.
    The mainstay ejection seat was the ACES-II for several decades.  It had the coolest feature for keeping the ejecting seat traveling straight up (critical in a 0-0-0 ejection, where you have zero forward velocity, zero altitude, and zero xxx).  Just as the rocket engine that carries the seat upward is fired, another explosive device fires that pulls a straight bar, with teeth cut along it, across a heavy gear, spinning it up and making it a gyroscope.  If the seat starts to tip forward, the gyroscope pivots, pulling on a cable, which points the rocket engine (also on a pivot) backward, correcting the flight path.  Ingenious, and dead-simple/reliable.    

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,243
    If you aren't boiling your ribs first before you wrap them in foil and put in the oven, you're doing it wrong. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    "Suburban women - would you please like me?"
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • nolaegghead
    "Where is Harrison getting all this money?  PLEASE, PLEASE, I BEG YOU, SEND ME MONEY!!!"
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Augering in.....
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    BBQ and grilling isn’t the same thing. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • I like pilots who don’t find themselves is a situation where they need to eject.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I like pilots who don’t find themselves is a situation where they need to eject.
    I'm writing you in tomorrow
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Scales are overrated.
    Yeah.  I thought about putting that in just to get on some people's nerves - but - from the beginning - I understood that we should only post opinions that we actually hold.  So, I left if for you to express the minority opinion on this topic...
    'Tis often lonely being a genius...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Scales are overrated.
    Yeah.  I thought about putting that in just to get on some people's nerves - but - from the beginning - I understood that we should only post opinions that we actually hold.  So, I left if for you to express the minority opinion on this topic...

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited October 2020
    So the post in this thread that receives the most "disagrees" wins, right?
    I'm probably the best cook here.  😉
    Clearly, I am winning.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I prefer brisket that's not cooked in an instant pot.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Scales are overrated.
    A bell curve has outliers on both ends my friend...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,332
    I like pilots who don’t find themselves is a situation where they need to eject.
    Back in my younger days I ran the ordnance flight line for the (then) Naval Strike & Air Warfare Center (Top Gun). One day we were doing arm/dearm at the end of a runway and as I'm driving down the center runway a jet takes off of the outside runway. About 20 seconds later the tower is screaming in the radio to clear all runways. I pull the truck over and look in the rear view mirror and see a giant fireball. That jet that just passed by had crashed into a field. Damned thing I had seen to that point in my life. Luckily for that guy, the seat worked that day. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• I like pilots who don’t find themselves is a situation where they need to eject.
    Back in my younger days I ran the ordnance flight line for the (then) Naval Strike & Air Warfare Center (Top Gun). One day we were doing arm/dearm at the end of a runway and as I'm driving down the center runway a jet takes off of the outside runway. About 20 seconds later the tower is screaming in the radio to clear all runways. I pull the truck over and look in the rear view mirror and see a giant fireball. That jet that just passed by had crashed into a field. Damned thing I had seen to that point in my life. Luckily for that guy, the seat worked that day. 
    Ha ha. I’m sure that seems like child’s play to you now. Can’t even imagine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Stickburns aren't worth the trouble. sear marks are overrated. Pretty much charcoal is charcoal. No brisket is worth standing in line for 4 hours. And.... if Weber ever decides to bring down the price of the summit insulated kettle cookers Bge is gonna be in trouble. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Sugar Gliders make fabulous appetizers.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,681
    dmchicago said:
    HeavyG said:
    Dawgtired said:
    Never Ending Buffet for me 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    lkapigian said:
    dmchicago said:
    HeavyG said:
    Dawgtired said:
    Never Ending Buffet for me 
    Yep. "Sorry Warden, still not done yet."

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Sides are only needed if your main is weak. 

Smoked turkey is nasty and only the menu at BBQ paces for people that don't like BBQ

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.