Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks again @lousubcap and @Great_EGGspectations for the pointers on the brisket. Even with the wealth of knowledge Frank sent over via DM i failed the brisket miserably. Put it on last night toward the end of the bama game. 10ish? It wouldn’t fit in the egg so I put a brick under it. After about 2 hours I removed the brick and shoehorned it in. Protected the edges with foil. Egg was stable at 270°. Went to bed, got up at 9. Temp had climbed to 320° Suddenly at around 515am. Brisket was probing like melted butter. Zero resistance. Let it sit and cool down to about 175° or so. Then wrapped in foil and put in a 155° oven for about 5-6 hours. When I cut it I could tell it was way wrong. The fat on top was way too thick. The meat was tender, dry and stringy. So tender I couldn’t even cut it. It just turned to mush. The bottom 1/2” of the brisket was like the hardest jerky you could imagine. It had no smoke flavor and the bark was terrible. This was what the butcher called a CAB prime brisket. I don’t think it was the meat. I’ll have to give it another shot when I can keep a closer eye on the temp and maybe a 14lb instead of 17lb. I had hopes that even if I screwed it up I could use it for chili but it wasn’t even good enough for that. 

I think I severely overcooked it, not enough smoke, not enough seasoning, def not wrapping in foil next time and maybe I shouldn’t hold it in the over for 5 hours. I’ll need to get redemption soon. Next time I will take a more thought out approach with the notes given.

Here are a few pics. They may not show how bad it turned out but you will get the idea. 

This pic below is deceiving. Looks decent but you could not cut it without it just shredding/separating all the strands of meat and those strands were similar to chewing on shoelaces. Tough and tasteless. 

Not giving up.
    Keep at it. You are closer than you think. This one is definitely over but that’s an easy fix. You are in good hands with those guys. I’m always glad to help out as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wife, & son are both somewhat still sick with the flu. It's about 55 degrees out and rainy so figured I'd make some elevated chicken noodle soup. I Smoked some chicken breast on the egg at around 250-275 with apple wood chips, pulled it off to rest and then chopped it up and added it to the soup. Damn tasty for a dreary evening and made the soup a bit more complex in flavor profile.

Ima call you butter because you are on a roll this week. Great looking pie and great idea on the chicken for the soup.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Wife, & son are both somewhat still sick with the flu. It's about 55 degrees out and rainy so figured I'd make some elevated chicken noodle soup. I Smoked some chicken breast on the egg at around 250-275 with apple wood chips, pulled it off to rest and then chopped it up and added it to the soup. Damn tasty for a dreary evening and made the soup a bit more complex in flavor profile.

Ima call you butter because you are on a roll this week. Great looking pie and great idea on the chicken for the soup.  
    Got a smoked turkey breast cooking on the egg now for dinner. Doing a "welcome fall" kinda cook. Pumpkin pie for dessert. Will post later.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Legume said:
    Not a straight line in that post @caliking 😂
    disagree, I see infinite number of straight lines  =)
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2022
    Options
    caliking said:
    Finishing up with Diwali festivities this weekend. It was on 10/24, so why not party on both weekends =)

caliqueen made rangoli (decorative, made with sand. Not edible).

Made a bunch of things this past week,  finished up with jalebi. Sort of like a crispy funnel cake, doused in syrup flavored with saffron, cardamom, fennel. 

Wow. So fun to watch when you really decide to get after something. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    Finishing up with Diwali festivities this weekend. It was on 10/24, so why not party on both weekends =)

Made a bunch of things this past week,  finished up with jalebi. Sort of like a crispy funnel cake, doused in syrup flavored with saffron, cardamom, fennel. 

Happy Diwali, Ashish! Your cook looks incredible. 

Years ago, my wife and I were invited to an incredibly posh Diwali party unlike anything else we’ve ever attended. Your cook brings back great memories of that!
    Thanks!

Diwali parties are serious bidness for some folks. Attended 2 last weekend - the first was a high society, catered garden party kind of affair with open bar/bartender, professional photographer, etc. The second was a smaller do, mostly home cooked food, fun folks. That's the one we crawled home from at 3am =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @shtgunal3 - perfect color and bark on those ribs.  What did you use for a rub?
    For whatever reason, pork ribs have always been my kryptonite no matter the grill I use. These were great. Here’s the rub I used.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Another one of those things that I just had to get mad enough at. It's taken a few years, but jalebi is dialled in now. I'll put mine up against just about any joint's in Houston. Maybe elsewhere, too. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Another one of those things that I just had to get mad enough at. It's taken a few years, but jalebi is dialled in now. I'll put mine up against just about any joint's in Houston. Maybe elsewhere, too. 
    Jones is sitting right next to me. We both fully approve. 
  • caliking
    Options
    picanha

This is  beautiful. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Eggpharmer - as above, nailed that cook. Sweet.
    Cook details when you can?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    @lousubcap

5.99/lb from Costco. Super good, one of the best things I've cooked recently and hard to beat the price.

Trimmed fat cap to about 1/4 inch. Heavy kosher salt and left on counter about 90 minutes prior to cooking. 250ish with cherry until 120 then hard sear. Be careful, the fat cap can become a flame ball. Finished with a pat of butter and cracked pepper.

Austin, TX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Looks better than a well manicured lawn!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @fishlessman - whoa
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options

dont know if you remember the higher end butchers up here with the marinated kebobs but fights would break out on whos were better. 5 pieces on these firehouse kebobs was over 2 pounds.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    dry rubbed ribs over happy pappy

new england tip kebobs with sous vide glazed carrots. i think these were flank but the local butches here have gone crazy with marinated tips

Ribs as they should be !! Awesome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

dont know if you remember the higher end butchers up here with the marinated kebobs but fights would break out on whos were better. 5 pieces on these firehouse kebobs was over 2 pounds.
    I remember, and I am drooling…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @SonVolt - that is an impressive cook right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @SonVolt. Fantastic and all of my absolute favorites 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, just damn.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Sunday Gravy (Oxtail, Veal Neck Bones, Country Style pork ribs & Italian Sausage) w/Rigatoni. Of of my favorite recipes. 

Damn dude. That all looks incredible. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month