Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,582
    @GrateEggspectations - Beautiful cook right there.  Congrats and bonus points for the fork placement.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Looks great @Buckwoody Egger.  Different ABT cook method then I use.  I run indirect with drip pan to catch the rendered bacon fat.  However you get there is all that matters.  
    Great colour (nod) on those butts.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks— have debated going indirect on the abt’s often and definitely will when time allows (sometimes with just a piece of foil) but this was a quick one. And pulled them as cheese was falling and smoking as well. More noteworthy may have been echoing brisket advice in my head as I navigated time and temp to the end result…. “probes like buttah” and “cow drives the cook”.  Solid advice for the pig in a pinch. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,052
    Brunch for the boss and I. 

Approve!
    Not a felon
  • Botch said:
    Spaghetti all Assassina
    Saw this in Cook's Illustrated, sounded kind've interesting  Dry spaghetti is sautéed in lots of olive oil, w/chopped garlic, oregano and pepperoncini, until the noodles are toasted on the bottom.  Flip the noodles (kinda messy).

Then, add two ladles of a tomato broth.  I used 32 oz of beef bone broth and 12 oz of puréed tomatoes, heated in a pot until simmering.  Some recipes used broth and tomato paste, some just pureed cherry tomatoes, etc.  I was standing by with the splatter screen, but damn this sputtered and made a mess.  You're basically cooking the spaghetti "risotto style".  

Once the water is mostly gone (you can hear it, it goes from boiling to frying again), flip the noodles, add two more ladles of broth, and keep cooking.  I repeated this 4 or 5 times in total.  
    Once the pasta is cooked, stop ladling in broth and raise the temp a bit until you hear the noodles frying again, to darken the bottom layer.  

That's how it looked in the article too, so I think I mostly did it right.

Very interesting flavor, but way too oily.  I could only eat about 3/4ths of it.  I'll file this one under "Glad I tried it once".  It does have me thinking about ways to toast dry spaghetti on the Egg, with some smoke, and then move it to the stove to finish more conventionally, hmm.  

Thanks for looking.  
    Had those same plates growing up! Brings back memories as soon as I saw the plate.
  • lousubcap
    @Battleborn - Great egg cook on that banquet.  I routinely am challenged with achieving that quality visual.  But always forward.  Looks delicious.  
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    those are some good looking legumes...@Legume haha 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @caliking I'll still find that whole photo stealing thing Hilarious. The worst part is there's not another outdoor cooking personality that I know of that has more money behind them. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Put it in the wrong thread. Cooking this tonight. Wagyu Cheesesteaks.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    Put it in the wrong thread. Cooking this tonight. Wagyu Cheesesteaks.

NOOOOO!!! Why would you do this!?!?  For real though, was it noticably better or just super greasy? I imagine it being way too greasy.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735

Mouthwatering!!!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2022
    Put it in the wrong thread. Cooking this tonight. Wagyu Cheesesteaks.

NOOOOO!!! Why would you do this!?!?  For real though, was it noticably better or just super greasy? I imagine it being way too greasy.
    I always use Wagyu for cheesesteaks. I've never found it too greasy. The onions probably help a bit with that. We aren't talking a SRF gold here. This is a Heartbrand American Wagyu ribeye from Kroger. It's on par with a good prime.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    I'd hit that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    copied out sonvolts rigatoni recipe and went to the store. oxtails yes, porknecks no. subbed out for added babybacks, lamb shank steaks and fennel italians. what could go wrong.....nothing. well except for lousy pics

Nice! So what did you think?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    edited November 2022
    SonVolt said:
    Lamb Chops on my ghetto GrillWorks setup. 

Dude...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,230
    SonVolt said:
    copied out sonvolts rigatoni recipe and went to the store. oxtails yes, porknecks no. subbed out for added babybacks, lamb shank steaks and fennel italians. what could go wrong.....nothing. well except for lousy pics

Nice! So what did you think?

very good, after reading the recipe i cut back on some of the salt, everything gets salted.  next time ill do a bunch of lamb shanks. i have been using this recipe from the scary lady but will like to see how the gravy braise recipe works

the scary lady recipe

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,617
    SonVolt said:
    Lamb Chops on my ghetto GrillWorks setup. 

That's not ghetto. That's genius. Awesome!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI