Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    Sausages

I love when they rip just a bit like that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    SonVolt said:
    Sunday Gravy (Oxtail, Veal Neck Bones, Country Style pork ribs & Italian Sausage) w/Rigatoni. Of of my favorite recipes. 

Beautiful!

Now that we're heading into fall weather, I've been thinking of oxtail stews and braised stuff, and this looks like it fits the bill. Could you share some deets?
    What is oxtail like? Is there much meat to each cut? My Asian place has it but it doesn't look like much meat for each cut
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:
    Sunday Gravy (Oxtail, Veal Neck Bones, Country Style pork ribs & Italian Sausage) w/Rigatoni. Of of my favorite recipes. 

Beautiful!

Now that we're heading into fall weather, I've been thinking of oxtail stews and braised stuff, and this looks like it fits the bill. Could you share some deets?

Absolutely. It's from Tony's last book before he passed. 

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation/sunday-gravy-sausage-rigatoni-recipe-anthony-bourdain-appetites-a-cookbook
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    Thanks @SonVolt !

• SonVolt
    edited November 2022
    I do like the Momofuku Chili Crunch better than the Lo Gan Ma. Lo Gan Ma has almost too much MSG in it, where its overpowering. Momofuku's seems to integrate into food better. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    SonVolt said:

Beautiful!

What is oxtail like? Is there much meat to each cut? My Asian place has it but it doesn't look like much meat for each cut
    It's delicious. The sections closer to the animal are quite meaty, less meat as you get to what would be the top of the tail. Lots of collagen, which renders into the braise, and gives it a wonderful silky texture. Definitely worth trying. 

• SonVolt
    Imagine a small round chuck roast with a bone in the middle that's very gelatinous, but in a good way. They're expensive now (used to be dirt cheap) so I only used 3. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,230
    SonVolt said:
    Imagine a small round chuck roast with a bone in the middle that's very gelatinous, but in a good way. They're expensive now (used to be dirt cheap) so I only used 3. 

its getting hard to find up here, it puts burria tacos over the top mixed in with chuck and or brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt said:

its getting hard to find up here, it puts burria tacos over the top mixed in with chuck and or brisket
    Has Wegman’s made its way up near you yet?  The one we have here (relatively new) seems to have ox tail in spades.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,230
    SonVolt said:

Has Wegman’s made its way up near you yet?  The one we have here (relatively new) seems to have ox tail in spades.

demoulas/now market basket is so thickly populated in the area that wegmans, cosco, trader joes are all a two hour round trip for me when the traffic is good. when i say thick, theres three marketbaskets within a quarter mile stretch of road, i can see all three of them at the same time, theres a dozen or so within a 5 to 15 minute drive. other supermarkets have pretty much pulled out of the area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Trying out raised grid, which I think is too gentle for thighs. But the sliding extender is great. 

• MasterC said:
    Fired up the xl for roasted ham with coke-cola and honey dijon mustard glaze, au gratin potatoes.

Enjoy
    Nailed it! That ham looks amazing
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444

Molletes and salad

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    edited November 2022
    Anyone ever roasted a whole Sirloin WITHOUT the cap (picahna)? Looking for ideas. I cut the cap into steaks already, now need to figure out what I want to do with this big ball of beef leftover. I know I could cut it into your typical sirloin steaks, but I was looking for other ideas.  Rotisserie? BGE? Oven roast? Something else?
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @SonVolt sous vide and sear. Or maybe something like a reverseer?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,052
    Smoked a Butterball turkey breast on the small.  Then made grilled cheeses with aforementioned  turkey, Brie and cranberry chutney.  Delicious!

Sourdough?

Some posts speak to me, this one sings to me.
    Not a felon
  • caliking
    Sous-vided and torched canard confit with a homemade raspberry coulis of sorts, buttered and roasted baby potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts with candied walnuts and freshly-grated Parmesan. 

(Edit: Fork prominence set at a solid 6/10.)
    Kids are with grandma this weekend? :)

That's a well executed cook/meal. Nicely done, sir.

• @Legume Thanks!  Good eye—sourdough. We will definitely be making more of these.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • caliking said:
    Sous-vided and torched canard confit with a homemade raspberry coulis of sorts, buttered and roasted baby potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts with candied walnuts and freshly-grated Parmesan. 

(Edit: Fork prominence set at a solid 6/10.)
    Kids are with grandma this weekend? :)

That's a well executed cook/meal. Nicely done, sir.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately not. Maybe one of these days. 🙂
  • Smoked a Butterball turkey breast on the small.  Then made grilled cheeses with aforementioned  turkey, Brie and cranberry chutney.  Delicious!

I love smoked turkey breasts on the BGE, and that's a beauty! Sandwich is a power move with that, sir!
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry