Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I'm In....Do I need whey or can I use a brine from my pepper ferment 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I think brine from peppers is okay. I use brine from sauerkraut.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited July 2020
    I underestimated the head space, had to move it to a bigger container ....used brine from some peppers for a starter I had going, used dextrose instead of syrup ...3.5 % brine ....lets see what happens ....how long @Sciaggie ? I hear a few days, seems short

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian I let mine sit at room temp for 5 days. Then I put it in the refrigerator for a full two weeks. Mustard is very sharp and raw in the beginning. It will mellow and start to taste right after 2-3 weeks in the fridge. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I let mine sit at room temp for 5 days. Then I put it in the refrigerator for a full two weeks. Mustard is very sharp and raw in the beginning. It will mellow and start to taste right after 2-3 weeks in the fridge. 
    Did you blend yours, if you did at what point 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian I pounded the seeds in my granite mortar. That was in the beginning.  I like whole grain mustard, so I didn’t try to break the mustard seeds down too much. I probably cracked 25% of the seeds. 
    On the headspace - yeah mustard will absorb a lot of liquid and expands a good bit. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Pepper Mash ferment, these are quick and potent, blend peppers garlic and onion to a mash, 3% salt to the weight of the mash, add No Water....thesecare very active , ready in a few days but I still let them go 3 weeks ...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    I started another 5 Liter ferment of peppers this morning. Homemade hot sauce is addicting. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I’m in the game! Bought a mini fridge for $25 and rigged it up with temp controller. First batch is pineapple habanero and a tomatillo serrano. Both have a little onion and carrot. 

2% brine, 64 degrees, 3 week nap. 

And as a bonus I found out my sweet duke mini fridge is back lit! 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

• Salsa verde in for the nap now as well. Can’t wait! 

In case anyone is wondering, I have new air locks arriving tomorrow for the salsa verde
  • SciAggie
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Really cool you have a fermentation station. Toot toot!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    And cheese cave! This has been a long time coming. 
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    Wow!! Thats next level stuff right there. I did they same thing with a chest freezer but turned into a kegerator. A keezer some would call it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SciAggie said:
    I can’t wait for Cheesescapades!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    I can’t wait for Cheesescapades!
    As well I ! Been wanting to try cheese, way more technical than anything I’ve tried 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Pepper Mash ferment, these are quick and potent, blend peppers garlic and onion to a mash, 3% salt to the weight of the mash, add No Water....these are very active , ready in a few days but I still let them go 3 weeks ...

Cam out amazing was a blend of Fresnos and Green Jalapeno---what I did different.............I left the mash in and just pureed ......I added some Olive Oil from my Calabrian Pepper Stash to the mix,made a huge difference more emulsified, If you have not tried Calabrian, I highly recommend you can get dried and packed in oil,i use the ones packed in oil for salami but drain the oil off. Was going to toss, but this was sitting on the counter and ready to go 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Friend brought by some peppers and 1 random Okra from the garden ....blended to a mash , added some brine for a starter from an active ferment, 3 % salt and a few garlic 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Made a mash for a sriracha style today. Fresno, jalapeno, multi-colored serrano, habanero, and a metric shi!t ton of garlic (yes Ashish, I doubled the garlic). Can’t wait for this one. 3% salt to weight of peppers. 

Into the Duke mini-fridge for a little nap. 

• SciAggie
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Looking good! I’m envious of you. I cannot find fresnos around here. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Looking good! I’m envious of you. I cannot find fresnos around here. 

They aren't easy to find here either. Central Market usually has them but it's not a guarantee. Whole foods has them at certain stores and you can search amazon to find out where they are. CM lets you order online now too so I can at least know before I go. The festive serranos were a bonus!
  • lkapigian
    Made a mash for a sriracha style today. Fresno, jalapeno, multi-colored serrano, habanero, and a metric shi!t ton of garlic (yes Ashish, I doubled the garlic). Can’t wait for this one. 3% salt to weight of peppers. 

That's Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    I got my son into it now. This is his first batch of sauerkraut. 

Very cool @sciaggie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Sauerkraut is the gateway drug of fermentation 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian said:
    Made a mash for a sriracha style today. Fresno, jalapeno, multi-colored serrano, habanero, and a metric shi!t ton of garlic (yes Ashish, I doubled the garlic). Can’t wait for this one. 3% salt to weight of peppers. 

That's Beautiful!
    We actually got the Fresno’s and Habs for curbside pickup but I ran in to the store for a Berkshire belly for bacon and 2 Berkshire shoulders for brats. I saw those serranos and couldn’t resist throwing them in. I’ve never seen so many colors of serrano! 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961

Salsa verde in for the nap now as well. Can’t wait! 

In case anyone is wondering, I have new air locks arriving tomorrow for the salsa verde

Stoked about the new project. It is also nice that the fridge is salami tall
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    20stone said:

Salsa verde in for the nap now as well. Can’t wait! 

Stoked about the new project. It is also nice that the fridge is salami tall
    Plenty of room for Salami 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Do y’all find that you get deeper flavor if you start your ferment with a mash?
    XL BGE, Vermont Castings gasser

Texan that lives in Winston Salem, NC

God, Family, Texas Football         We Don’t Rent Pigs
  • lkapigian
    Do y’all find that you get deeper flavor if you start your ferment with a mash?
    IMO, it really just ferment faster, either way the flavor is solid .....but some may taste a difference 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian