Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    According to Amazon tracking my crock will be here Monday! Can't wait. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Awesome.....Tip on the Crocs, the weights are very porous and when stored not in use they will get moldy, they clean up easy but dont be surprised if you pull the weights out of the croc and they look funky

Post pictures, you will enjoy it!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome.....Tip on the Crocs, the weights are very porous and when stored not in use they will get moldy, they clean up easy but dont be surprised if you pull the weights out of the croc and they look funky

Post pictures, you will enjoy it!!
    Thanks for the heads up. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Threw this first attempt together this afternoon. Combo of jalapeno, serrano, cayenne and chipotle peppers with garlic and onion. I normally do refrigerator type hot sauces, so fermenting is entirely new to me. We shall see!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• lkapigian
    edited August 2020
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Threw this first attempt together this afternoon. Combo of jalapeno, serrano, cayenne and chipotle peppers with garlic and onion. I normally do refrigerator type hot sauces, so fermenting is entirely new to me. We shall see!

It will be tasty, give that lid a burp everyday if there is no vent on it 

Just bottled a batch of green, letting my red go a little longer , mainly because I'm to lazy today

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fence0407
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

It will be tasty, give that lid a burp everyday if there is no vent on it 

Just bottled a batch of green, letting my red go a little longer , mainly because I'm to lazy today

Nice! I do plan on burping it daily. All peppers came from my garden except for the one chipotle. 
    Cumming, GA  

• lkapigian
    Options
    Pepper Mash ready for the dehydrator ....dont toss this stuff 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Pepper Mash ready for the dehydrator ....dont toss this stuff 

I don't remember if I posted it or not, but I kept the tomato skins after I canned 30lbs of tomatoes and put them in the dehydrator and then the food processor and made tomato dust.  Came out really good.

I also took your advice to do granulated garlic and that is amazing.  I won't go back now.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @buzd504   I'm sure the tomato skins were great, I just did my first tomato Powder and boy is that concentrated, a great addition for sure

Glad you liked the garlic , much better than store bought , onion as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Another batch of hot sauce done. The large jar is 1/2 gallon. Maybe this will last a while. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Another batch of hot sauce done. The large jar is 1/2 gallon. Maybe this will last a while. 

Woot Woot......no, it won't last.....love the color !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Crock came today! Let the fun begin. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Question for the group- it’s my understanding that the ferment will continue in the bottle (slower in the fridge but faster if left out). If you were going to bottle some of these up to hold as a shelf stable sauce would you need to cook it to kill the ferment before sealing up in a glass bottle? Is that how commercial sauces are able to bottle these fermented sauces?

or does the ferment eventually run its course (use up all the food in that batch and stop producing co2)?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Question for the group- it’s my understanding that the ferment will continue in the bottle (slower in the fridge but faster if left out). If you were going to bottle some of these up to hold as a shelf stable sauce would you need to cook it to kill the ferment before sealing up in a glass bottle? Is that how commercial sauces are able to bottle these fermented sauces?

or does the ferment eventually run its course (use up all the food in that batch and stop producing co2)?
    "The Cen-Tex Smoker" no need to cook it, your PH will be very low, last batch this weekend was 3.5, I just go straight into squeeze bottles , sterilization is good, but not like canning for sure

as far as the fridge, it will keep fermenting just slower , I don’t want to kill the bacteria at all, you really want to watch your blender temp for this reason

this stuff does not last long, and is very shelf stable
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

lkapigian said:

"The Cen-Tex Smoker" no need to cook it, your PH will be very low, last batch this weekend was 3.5, I just go straight into squeeze bottles , sterilization is good, but not like canning for sure

as far as the fridge, it will keep fermenting just slower , I don’t want to kill the bacteria at all, you really want to watch your blender temp for this reason

Also, I could be wrong, but I think many (most?) commercial sauces are not actually fermented.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2020
    Options
    buzd504 said:

lkapigian said:

Also, I could be wrong, but I think many (most?) commercial sauces are not actually fermented.
    Very few, Tabasco is ...red rooster sriracha is ( I think )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I don’t want to kill the ferment for me but was just wondering if I bottled some of this up and sent to friends and family, will the active ferment make a grenade out of the bottle? 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Upgraded my cap to an airlock. When should I expect to see action?

Cumming, GA  

• lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I don’t want to kill the ferment for me but was just wondering if I bottled some of this up and sent to friends and family, will the active ferment make a grenade out of the bottle? 
    Well, I sent some to a couple people here and Leaked out the bottle....but I had them vacuumed sealed , but in winter had no issues .....the ferment will slow no matter, so if it’s a one ferment that you bottle it would be fine , I’ve had none grenade ( yet ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Well, I sent some to a couple people here and Leaked out the bottle....but I had them vacuumed sealed , but in winter had no issues .....the ferment will slow no matter, so if it’s a one ferment that you bottle it would be fine , I’ve had none grenade ( yet ) 
    Got it. Thanks! 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Variables  , sometimes right away, some after a few days ...id you add a little dextrose on veggies with low sugar it speeds it up....sometimes it's hardly noticeable sometimes crazy rapid 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fence0407
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

Variables  , sometimes right away, some after a few days ...id you add a little dextrose on veggies with low sugar it speeds it up....sometimes it's hardly noticeable sometimes crazy rapid 
    Awesome, thanks! I hope I got the salt to water ratio correct. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lkapigian said:

i only fridge the open bottle to get it off the table. i have a few unopened bottles left out that may be 3 years old, only problem i see is that it darkens. it will not explode
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    But what if I wanted to grenade one?  Asking for a friend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    But what if I wanted to grenade one?  Asking for a friend.

add a little dextrose and seal her up tight.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

@fence0407 so long as you are 2% on the low end you are good, I go a little higher on Pickles but usually 2% 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fence0407
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

@fence0407 so long as you are 2% on the low end you are good, I go a little higher on Pickles but usually 2% 
    This jar has 2 cups filtered water with 2 tablespoons of kosher salt 🤔
    Cumming, GA  

• lkapigian
    edited August 2020
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

That's about 7.5 %, a little heavy but should be fine....Scales are cheap but really help ....your salt may vary but you have roughly 479 grams water so you need around 10 grams salt, you have roughly 36 grams 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fence0407
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

That's about 7.5 %, a little heavy but should be fine....Scales are cheap but really help ....your salt may vary but you have roughly 479 grams water so you need around 10 grams salt, you have roughly 36 grams 
    Thank you! I first started with 1 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water. Read somewhere else I needed one tablespoon per cup of water so I upped it. I will keep your measurements on hand. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:
    lkapigian said:
    fence0407 said:

Thank you! I first started with 1 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water. Read somewhere else I needed one tablespoon per cup of water so I upped it. I will keep your measurements on hand. 
    Will I need to dilute my brine when blending the final product? Obviously I don't want it to be too salty and since I added 26 more grams than is needed I'm afraid it will be too salty. Thoughts?

On a good note, I did start to see some bubbling in the airlock!
    Cumming, GA