Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    Anyone ferment tomatoes?  I have more than I know what to do with, and wondered if you could.
    Never done it, but you certainly could..Cherry? .....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    lkapigian said:
    Anyone ferment tomatoes?  I have more than I know what to do with, and wondered if you could.
    I have an assortment of options.  Cherry, Sungold (lots of sugar), roma, and a few heirloom varieties.  I am think a mixture of cherry and sungold.  Just not sure what to expect.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    I have an assortment of options.  Cherry, Sungold (lots of sugar), roma, and a few heirloom varieties.  I am think a mixture of cherry and sungold.  Just not sure what to expect.
    Found this 

https://youtu.be/t1fgBF2MuX8
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    I'm diggin' that mustard @Sciaggie!

@Ozzie_Isaac i'm jealous. I could eat my body weight in fresh tomatoes. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking The mustard is easy. I let it sit at room temp about 5 days. Then I think it needs to sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks. The mustard is very sharp and harsh at first, then it mellows and (I think) is really good. I use Brad Leone’s recipe from “It’s Alive!”
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2020
    caliking said:
    I'm diggin' that mustard @Sciaggie!

@Ozzie_Isaac i'm jealous. I could eat my body weight in fresh tomatoes. 
    My garden is out of control right now.

Here is what was ready today, birds probably got 2x this.

• lkapigian
    Was running low, store still had Fresnos so a batch of each...usual blend per 5 litres 1 large onion 2-3 heads garlic 1/2 bag baby carrots 2% salt to water weight 3 week ferment 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    edited July 2020
    @lkapigian That looks great. I wish I could get Fresnos around here. Can you guess how many peppers you are using in a 5L batch? 2 1/2 - 3 pounds maybe?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian That looks great. I wish I could get Fresnos around here. Can you guess how many peppers you are using in a 5L batch? 2 1/2 - 3 pounds maybe?
    @sciaggie a little under 5 pounds ,I do but the peppers into thirds VS leaving whole ...we have had more than usual this year, going back to get some more to make more Chipotle 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    This is my favorite thread, and the most intimidating too.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191

only thing thats intimidating is the first time you use xanthan gum. other than that its just clean water salt, peppers and something sugary like onion or pineapple etc. you really dont even need the gum, i never used it until a year ago. most recipes on line dont even weigh the salt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2020

only thing thats intimidating is the first time you use xanthan gum. other than that its just clean water salt, peppers and something sugary like onion or pineapple etc. you really dont even need the gum, i never used it until a year ago. most recipes on line dont even weigh the salt
    That is true in concept, and I have made some very good ferments, but it is still black magic to me.  I know when meat is cooked and safe.  These recipes are all process and pray.  I was raised in the 80s where they promised botulism was around every corner waiting to kill you.  That is hard for me to shake, but I am working on it.

• fishlessman

That is true in concept, and I have made some very good ferments, but it is still black magic to me.  I know when meat is cooked and safe.  These recipes are all process and pray.  I was raised in the 80s where they promised botulism was around every corner waiting to kill you.  That is hard for me to shake, but I am working on it.

this reminds me, i need to check on that fish sauce i have fermenting on the top of the fridge. will be 8 weeks, i was only going to go 4
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    @Ozzie_Isaac I understand the “process and pray” concern. A pH meter can help remove some of those fears. Ferments are considered shelf stable with a pH below 4.6. That particular pH refers to the threshold that botulism can survive. Nearly everything I have lacto-fermented from hot sauce to sauerkraut, to kombucha has had a pH below 3.5. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian

PH is typically below 4 in my ferments C. botulinum will not grow in acidic conditions (pH less than 4.6) .....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,850

The pineapple in my last batch was overpowering.  I don't think I am going to try that again.

Is guar gum interchangeable with xanthan gum?
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    buzd504 said:

The pineapple in my last batch was overpowering.  I don't think I am going to try that again.

Had to look that up @buzd504 never heard of it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    buzd504 said:

i didnt taste any pineapple at all but the fermentation was fierce
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    lkapigian said:

PH is typically below 4 in my ferments C. botulinum will not grow in acidic conditions (pH less than 4.6) .....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just added a ph tester to the cart
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Thank you all for the suggestions.  I am totally new to pH testing in food, but I did find this article informative (I have no reference knowledge in this area, so not guaranteeing info in article)

https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-test-the-ph-of-food-and-drink/

• lkapigian
    Thank you all for the suggestions.  I am totally new to pH testing in food, but I did find this article informative (I have no reference knowledge in this area, so not guaranteeing info in article)

https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-test-the-ph-of-food-and-drink/
    Good read....i use ph testing for my fermented meats , veggies and sourdough ....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    I do not own a PH meter and I'm not dead yet or even had the runs. I did my first batch of hot sauce with pineapple and should be ready this weekend. Cant wait to see what it adds. The ferment was definitely very active with the added sugar. I also have not used x-gum yet. I own it now but have not used it. Shoot, i didn't even strain the last batch...
  • Alright, I’m going to be completely upfront with y’all. I’ve been stalking this thread for a while now and have become silently obsessed with fermenting. I just got back from a farmers market with a host of peppers and some pineapple and a bit of lemongrass. What is the appropriate brine percentage for peppers and the like? And would citrus mess up the process?
    XL BGE, Vermont Castings gasser

Texan that lives in Winston Salem, NC

God, Family, Texas Football         We Don’t Rent Pigs
  • SciAggie
    @11Longhorns11 I’m glad you are taking first steps. The standard brine percentage is 3%. I have no experience with something like pineapple in a hot sauce ferment. I will say items like onions and carrots serve as a carbohydrate source for the bacteria in the ferment. It follows then that some pineapple in small amounts wouldn’t hurt. Don’t take action on my opinion though. I’d wait for some further discussion from others. Google could be your friend if you are comfortable with that. 
    The 3% brine is standard practice so you can plan on that. Pineapple - I dunno...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    Got some mustard into the queue... Ferment one week, refrigerate for two before eating. 

Ordered seeds today!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    with no scale ive been using 1/2 tablespoon fine seasalt per cup water, not city water with chlorine
    fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,850
    edited July 2020
    Alright, I’m going to be completely upfront with y’all. I’ve been stalking this thread for a while now and have become silently obsessed with fermenting. I just got back from a farmers market with a host of peppers and some pineapple and a bit of lemongrass. What is the appropriate brine percentage for peppers and the like? And would citrus mess up the process?

My last batch, I used a good bit of pineapple (with onions, carrots and habeneros).  I thought it was too much and didn't balance well.  I would start very conservative with pineapple.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    buzd504 said:
    Alright, I’m going to be completely upfront with y’all. I’ve been stalking this thread for a while now and have become silently obsessed with fermenting. I just got back from a farmers market with a host of peppers and some pineapple and a bit of lemongrass. What is the appropriate brine percentage for peppers and the like? And would citrus mess up the process?

My last batch, I used a good bit of pineapple (with onions, carrots and habeneros).  I thought it was too much and didn't balance well.  I would start very conservative with pineapple.

i didnt get the odd flavor with the pineapple but ive been using scotch bonnets, maybe the hotter pepper has something to do with the scotch bonnets and pineapple. this batch i mostly mix 50/50 with butter for buffalo wings, was going thru it pretty fast til they stopped selling wings in my store
    fukahwee maine

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    edited July 2020

Just bottled these yesterday. The color is a little misrepresented. Its not actually that yellow. This is jalapenos, serranos, carrots, onion, garlic and pineapple. It was a very active ferment undoubtedly due to the extra sugar the pineapple brought. Not much yeast either. The taste is real good. I dont pickup on any pineapple flavor at all. I would say that if anything the pineapple addition over the last batch cut the heat pretty significantly. This was a 3% for 3 weeks. I even actually strained this batch and x-gum addition to thicken a bit. Overall I am pleased with it.

• lkapigian

Just bottled these yesterday. The color is a little misrepresented. Its not actually that yellow. This is jalapenos, serranos, carrots, onion, garlic and pineapple. It was a very active ferment undoubtedly due to the extra sugar the pineapple brought. Not much yeast either. The taste is real good. I dont pickup on any pineapple flavor at all. I would say that if anything the pineapple addition over the last batch cut the heat pretty significantly. This was a 3% for 3 weeks. I even actually strained this batch and x-gum addition to thicken a bit. Overall I am pleased with it.

Winner all the way....it will.mature a lot in the next couple days 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian