Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2020
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian It hurt sooooo bad today. When I was in Sam’s there were prime ribeye primals for 10.50 a pound. I mean $100 and I walk away with a beautiful rice of meat.  I just DO NOT have any room to dry age meat. Everything is full. This could be $30 per pound beef in 35 days. 
    @SciAggie. Just loaded up again
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @lkapigian That’s really cool. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking I’m ordering a full size freezer for a curing chamber. Delivery is July/August...
    Doh! I forgot about that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    found the tamarindo pods at the local grocery today, looks like fermented worcestershire sauce starts this weekend. cant believe they had the pods. bloody marys in 4 weeks =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    found the tamarindo pods at the local grocery today, looks like fermented worcestershire sauce starts this weekend. cant believe they had the pods. bloody marys in 4 weeks =)
    That is something I would like to try,please post process @fishlessman
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    lkapigian said:

found this for the pods

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

found this for the pods

I always see those at the Swap meet and wondered what they were
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525

First batch of hot sauce in the jar. Not knowing exactly what to finish it with. I went with some ACV, some of the ferment juice, a dash of lime juice, and very small amount of sugar. Its dam sure hot. Hopefully it mellows a bit..
  • lkapigian

First batch of hot sauce in the jar. Not knowing exactly what to finish it with. I went with some ACV, some of the ferment juice, a dash of lime juice, and very small amount of sugar. Its dam sure hot. Hopefully it mellows a bit..
    Looks awesome @JethroBodeen and it will mellow...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    I pulled my 5L ferment this morning. I bought a food mill to process the sauce through after I blended the peppers. It produced a really nice consistence. I added just a touch of Xanthum gum to keep (hopefully) the sauce emulsified and stable. 
    It’s odd - I upped the number of Habenero and Serrano peppers by a good bit but this batch has less heat than the last one. I suppose every batch will be a bit unique. I actually like a bit milder sauce because I tend to put it on everything. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Just chiming in to let you know again how much fun this thread is
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    edited May 2020
    That moment when you realize you did not cool the scalded milk before adding the yogurt culture - thus ruining the batch. Oh, and of course I had already thrown out the remaining yogurt...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    That moment when you realize you did not cool the scalded milk before adding the yogurt culture - thus ruining the batch. Oh, and of course I had already thrown out the remaining yogurt...
    @SciAggie If you are feeling adventurous, this a a Yogurt Soup ( we call yogurt Madzoon) , can be served hot or cold ( may want to omit the butter if cold , but is amazing 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian Thanks! That sounds interesting. We’ll give it a try. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    started the worcestershire sauce

simmered the pods and screened it out into a paste and caramelized some shallots

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian

simmered the pods and screened it out into a paste and caramelized some shallots

Watching this @fishlessman,
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    lkapigian said:

Watching this @fishlessman,

im not sure what happens next, i put an airlock on one jar and loose lid on the other as suggested by the article on it. not sure if its supposed to bubble or not, we shall see next weekend. its on the fridge for 4 weeks anyways. actually tasted good as is
    fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,850

im not sure what happens next, i put an airlock on one jar and loose lid on the other as suggested by the article on it. not sure if its supposed to bubble or not, we shall see next weekend. its on the fridge for 4 weeks anyways. actually tasted good as is
    I might have missed it, but are you using a recipe?

NOLA
  • fishlessman
    this is the recipe used, i may have added more anchovies and that ghost pepper as well

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited May 2020
    need to start thinking bigger, she gets 27 bucks for 3.4 ounces of sauce =)

fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    I may have asked this way earlier in the thread, but now I don't remember.  My habeneros are starting to come in.  Can I make a brine and just drop them in as I pick them? 

I realize they will all end up fermenting a slightly different amount, but if I wait until I have enough to fill up the jar, they will start going bad.  Seems to me that it might make for a more interesting sauce with a blend of fermentations (although likely not exactly repeatable).

NOLA
  • lkapigian
    buzd504 said:
    I may have asked this way earlier in the thread, but now I don't remember.  My habeneros are starting to come in.  Can I make a brine and just drop them in as I pick them? 

I realize they will all end up fermenting a slightly different amount, but if I wait until I have enough to fill up the jar, they will start going bad.  Seems to me that it might make for a more interesting sauce with a blend of fermentations (although likely not exactly repeatable).

@buzd504 I would freeze and wait until you have enough, If you use "some" fresh with the frozen there will be enough good bacteria bacteria on the fresh to get things going, you could also add a starter culture for safety.....yes you can add in batches , i never have , but I have done the frozen fresh mix
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    buzd504 said:

Hmm, that actually sounds like an interesting way to get more flavor depth?  I know my peppers have different tastes depending on when I pull the batch.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• buzd504
    Thanks to both of you.  @Ozzie_Isaac @lkapigian
    NOLA
  • SciAggie
    Question for y’all. I was excited about bottling this last 5L batch of hot sauce - I figured I’d have enough to last a while. 
    I have three 8 oz Bottles in a small drink refrigerator. I pulled one out today and noticed it had a pretty good growth of Kahm yeast on top. I checked and all three bottles had some amount of Kahm yeast growing on top. 
    The hot sauce in my refrigerator in the house has none. 
    So two questions. 
    Do you think it’s due to some fluctuations in temp as drinks are added and removed from the small refrigerator? Is it still ok or would you toss it? My pH meter is acting up at the moment so cannot check pH - but it was well below 4.0 when I bottled it. 
    Makes me wonder why the yeast is growing on it. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    If it's below 4 I would not worry, I've never seen Kahm Yeast once blended into a sauce, only on top of the brine...that being said I don't worry about Kahn Yeast at all....Pictures. @sciaggie ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    I wonder what the temp is on the small fridge? I guess if you are drinking what is coming out of it you would have noticed a warmer than normal fridge. I wouldn't be afraid to skim the yeast if its thick and eat on!
  • SciAggie

I used a food mill on this batch. The sauce still contains a significant amount of pureed solids. Maybe that made a difference?
    i stuck a thermapop in there and left it about a minute. Temp is about 47-50 degrees. 
    My guess it is still warm enough to continue significant fermentation due to remaining food solids and higher temps than my house refrigerator. 
    When I get my pH meter working again I’ll check that. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2020
    It’s always something...
    https://youtu.be/CkFpiKAuWlA
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:

I used a food mill on this batch. The sauce still contains a significant amount of pureed solids. Maybe that made a difference?
    i stuck a thermapop in there and left it about a minute. Temp is about 47-50 degrees. 
    My guess it is still warm enough to continue significant fermentation due to remaining food solids and higher temps than my house refrigerator. 
    When I get my pH meter working again I’ll check that. 
    I'd say it's the temp and it's still just fine ..., looks really good !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian