Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    SciAggie said:

They taste great. 
    Looks Great @SciAggie , the brine makes for a Great Pickle Back
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    Just read the 17 pages... Something else that I want to try now 🤦‍♂️.  What books are you recommending?

paqman said:
    Just read the 17 pages... Something else that I want to try now 🤦‍♂️.  What books are you recommending?
    Sandor Katz is the Ferment Guru, but YouTube was my best source...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    lkapigian said:
    paqman said:
    a channel in particular?

edited January 2020
    paqman said:
    lkapigian said:
    paqman said:
    a channel in particular?
    @paqman lots of videos ..all you really need is filtered water, non iodized salt,  scale and a container

Keep your brine 2- 5%+- hot sauces I keep the brine on the lower end pickles a bit higher, bay leaves or anything with tannin will keep things crunchy, good fermentation temp range 68-78 but higher or lower will be fine

That white stuff floating on the top of your ferment is kahm yeast and is normal, cloudy ferment is normal

Lacto bacillli ( sp) eat sugar so if you are fermenting veggies low in sugar add some or put an onion or something high in sugar to help the good bacteria get going and overcome the bad

Hot Sauce ( for me ) is a 3 week minimum ferment, where pickles a week

Have fun

https://youtu.be/ZghX4Mrg7kw
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2020
    I like the fermented sweet peppers I made. Now I’m going for my first batch of hot sauce. 1 1/2 lbs jalapeño, 2 habaneros, 3 Serrano peppers in a 3% salt solution. Should I add anything else for flavor?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2020
    SciAggie said:
    I like the fermented sweet peppers I made. Now I’m going for my first batch of hot sauce. 1 1/2 lbs jalapeño, 2 habaneros, 3 Serrano peppers in a 3% salt solution. Should I add anything else for flavor?
    Awesome @SciAggie , you'll never look back on the hot sauce.....i always add onion and garlic to my sauce ferment, even baby carrots occasionally but always garlic and onion 

Also plan on saving and drying out the mash ( if you strain the sauce )...great spice to have 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Thanks
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2020
    @SciAggie if you don't have yet, time to buy/order Xanthan Gum
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian Thanks for the tip, but I already have some. How much onion and carrot do you add?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    @SciAggie I totally eyeball it....looking @ the amount of peppers you have...maybe 1/4 onion a few baby carrots. Couple to few cloves of garlic 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    edited January 2020
    @lkapigian Thanks. I don’t suppose it matters if I add them tomorrow- I don’t have carrots...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Thanks. I don’t suppose it matters if I add them tomorrow- I don’t have carrots...
    Add anytime @SciAggie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    I repacked my ferment today. 1 1/2 pounds of jalapeños, 4 jalapeños I smoked on the offset that I had in the fridge, 3 Serranos, 2 Habaneros, 3 small dried chilies, 4 cloves garlic, 1/4 of a small onion, and one small carrot. 3% salt solution. 

I hope it’s not too hot. We’ll know in 3 weeks, huh?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    I repacked my ferment today. 1 1/2 pounds of jalapeños, 4 jalapeños I smoked on the offset that I had in the fridge, 3 Serranos, 2 Habaneros, 3 small dried chilies, 4 cloves garlic, 1/4 of a small onion, and one small carrot. 3% salt solution. 

I hope it’s not too hot. We’ll know in 3 weeks, huh?
    They mellow nicely ...3 weeks is my sweet spot, looking forward to the outcome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian Is it normal for the garlic to get an interesting blue-green color? Everything else looks ok. It’s about 10 days into the ferment. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2020
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Is it normal for the garlic to get an interesting blue-green color? Everything else looks ok. It’s about 10 days into the ferment. 

Yup that is Allicin and healthy...i think bruising the garlic helps release it quicker , I smash my garlic a bit when adding it to the ferment
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    the sciaggie post on blue garlic had me thinking to just ferment a ton of garlic with some heat and herbs but googling i found fermented paste that looks interesting, maybe making a batch soon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    the sciaggie post on blue garlic had me thinking to just ferment a ton of garlic with some heat and herbs but googling i found fermented paste that looks interesting, maybe making a batch soon

That is a cool idea, thanks for the post @fishlessman
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    edited February 2020
    My first batch is done. I’m a fan. 
    It’s nowhere near as hot as I feared it would be. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    My first batch is done. I’m a fan. 
    It’s nowhere near as hot as I feared it would be. 

Awesome @SciAggie , looks killer and it gets better as it goes 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Y’all should warn people. After 3 weeks I made 3 bottles of hot sauce. I gave one to my nephew because his family loved it. I’ve eaten 1/2 a bottle in two days. At this rate of consumption I’ll be out before the next batch is ready...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    Y’all should warn people. After 3 weeks I made 3 bottles of hot sauce. I gave one to my nephew because his family loved it. I’ve eaten 1/2 a bottle in two days. At this rate of consumption I’ll be out before the next batch is ready...
    For sure @SciAggie , I have 2 5 litre crocks that keep busy, I get about 8-10 bottles per batch, I keep 1 or 2 and the others go quick ...people really like it....wait till you start cooking with it and the dehydrated mash
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Round #2

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SciAggie said:
    Time to replace that decorative jar you started with something bigger.  Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    I continue to live this thread.  It’s time to get back in the game for me
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    @20stone I have a 5 liter crock. I’ll use it next...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone I have a 5 liter crock. I’ll use it next...
    That's a more appropriate size, I think.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX

• Fermentation fun!

Habanero, onion, garlic in a 3% salt 1% sugar brine.

Pickled onion and garlic in a chili, bourbon honey, apple cider vinegar pickling solution.

Fermented red chili flake garlic paste.

Gonna let all of these sit for a bit and hopefully enjoy in a few weeks!

Brandon - Ohio

• lkapigian

Fermentation fun!

Habanero, onion, garlic in a 3% salt 1% sugar brine.

Pickled onion and garlic in a chili, bourbon honey, apple cider vinegar pickling solution.

Fermented red chili flake garlic paste.

Gonna let all of these sit for a bit and hopefully enjoy in a few weeks!
    Looks Killer,  been wanting to try the paste ferment, curious how it is keep us posted !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian