Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    So depending on the hotness of the peppers you're only using two to four peppers per 12 ounce bottle. The balance of the bottle is the salt water fermentation liquid (possibly vinegar if you choose)and xanthan gum?

I probably have 3 quarts of pepper puree which would.make gallons of hot sauce if the above is correct. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE sorry for the confusion ...each batch I blend all the peppers/ onions etc with an equal amount of brine then separate the mash then blend again adding dextrose vinegar and salt .... the heat level is what it is
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Fine looking right there @BUFFALOMOOSE, the pulp is always a favorite.....mix with some Cumin,Garlic Oregano and Paprika makes a great chili powder 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Going to do a small batch of Scorpions 

Frigging Hic Up Hot

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Going to do a small batch of Scorpions 

Frigging Hic Up Hot

Does each bottle come with its own seat belt? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JethroBodeen
    Options

With both feet! I bought myself some lids for my xmas gift. Started with what i had on hand. Some peppers, green onion, garlic, celery. First go at it.

• lkapigian
    Options

With both feet! I bought myself some lids for my xmas gift. Started with what i had on hand. Some peppers, green onion, garlic, celery. First go at it.

Awesome @JethroBodeen..
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Just filled my crock with cabbage. I’ll have sauerkraut in 3 weeks. Does that count here?

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Just filled my crock with cabbage. I’ll have sauerkraut in 3 weeks. Does that count here?

Heck Ya, looks like the crocks I use...love saurkraut
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I bought a small pickling jar from The Wok Shop. I threw in some sweet peppers just to have some fun. I get to watch...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I bought a small pickling jar from The Wok Shop. I threw in some sweet peppers just to have some fun. I get to watch...
    I did a batch of sweet peppers and was quite pleased ...thats a cool looking jar 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    It has a narrow mouth opening so I had to cross- hatch those skewers to keep everything submerged. I just threw them in with some onion in a 2% brine. We’ll see how it works. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    so I want to start a legit setup for this. what do you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612127282/?coliid=I3A1W11P6KB362&colid=HLR36RFOS2HL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YB15OHS/?coliid=I14HIH5NTH27XS&colid=HLR36RFOS2HL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

what else? what is a good setup to ferment at home? nothing to elaborate. I only plan to make hot sauce
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I have crocks , but I do a good amount in just old glass jars , that's all you really need, but nothing and give it a try ....id buy a digital scale before a ferment kit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    so I want to start a legit setup for this. what do you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612127282/?coliid=I3A1W11P6KB362&colid=HLR36RFOS2HL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YB15OHS/?coliid=I14HIH5NTH27XS&colid=HLR36RFOS2HL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

what else? what is a good setup to ferment at home? nothing to elaborate. I only plan to make hot sauce
    I bought something like these to start with. They work well with mason jars. 

6-Pack Waterless Airlock Fermentation Lids for Wide Mouth Mason Jars, Mold Free, Food-Grade Silicone Easy Fermenting Lids for Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles or Any Fermented Probiotic Food (3 Colors) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NSKRHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XJwcEb2YB374V

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Two week ferment (salt 5%, sugar 5%)with garlic, carrots, and mystery chilies that grow randomly in a few spots. Blitzed it all together with some of the brine, lime juice, and a dash of xanthan gum. 

It’s hot, but should mellow a bit after a day or two. Trying to clone a Marie Sharp’s sauce from Belize, and I think it’s kinda close. Pops said it has too much garlic. I said there’s no such thing =)

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:
    Two week ferment (salt 5%, sugar 5%)with garlic, carrots, and mystery chilies that grow randomly in a few spots. Blitzed it all together with some of the brine, lime juice, and a dash of xanthan gum. 

It’s hot, but should mellow a bit after a day or two. Trying to clone a Marie Sharp’s sauce from Belize, and I think it’s kinda close. Pops said it has too much garlic. I said there’s no such thing =)
    Your pops is a helluva dude, but too much garlic is not a thing. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Are any of y’all ever nervous about taking the first taste of something that’s been fermenting a while? I tried my sauerkraut after three weeks. It tasted just ok - not as tangy as I like - so I harvested some to eat for supper then repacked and added a bit more saltwater to let it go a few more weeks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Are any of y’all ever nervous about taking the first taste of something that’s been fermenting a while? I tried my sauerkraut after three weeks. It tasted just ok - not as tangy as I like - so I harvested some to eat for supper then repacked and added a bit more saltwater to let it go a few more weeks. 
    Tasting is the best way to know, three weeks is @  the minimum for me ( except for pickles ) if it's salty let it ride, you will be rewarded 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:
    Tasting is the best way to know, three weeks is @  the minimum for me ( except for pickles ) if it's salty let it ride, you will be rewarded 
    I made some more 3% salt solution and topped it off. That should be ok don’t you think?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:
    I made some more 3% salt solution and topped it off. That should be ok don’t you think?
    Yes sir, will be fine...time is your friend with that ferment...if it's salty let it ride
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Going to make a jar of sauerkraut(ish) with some chilli and garlic. Anything special with cabbage, or just chop it up and put it in with brine? 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Going to make a jar of sauerkraut(ish) with some chilli and garlic. Anything special with cabbage, or just chop it up and put it in with brine? 
    You could but it will "self brine" and dilute your brine.........Cut cabbage and weigh, add 2% salt to the weight of the cabbage and pound into container....once the cabbage releases its water there should be enough to submerge the cabbage ( like a mash ferment ) if you need to add more, then make a 2% salt water solution brine and top off the cabbage 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    It's a savoy cabbage, so quite leafy. I've done the 2% by weight and will give it a day or 2 and see what liquid I get.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Eoin said:
    It's a savoy cabbage, so quite leafy. I've done the 2% by weight and will give it a day or 2 and see what liquid I get.

should be fine!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @Eoin Adding a bay leaf or two will help it stay crunchy (if that's a preference).

• SciAggie
    Options
    Ok, my peppers are done to my satisfaction. Now what? What I mean is how is the best way to store them in the refrigerator? Do I cover them in vinegar? More salt water? A combination? Advice please fermentation wizards...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Ok, my peppers are done to my satisfaction. Now what? What I mean is how is the best way to store them in the refrigerator? Do I cover them in vinegar? More salt water? A combination? Advice please fermentation wizards...
    I just put them in the fridge as is, the PH is likely below 4 so no need to add vinegar..it will still ferment but much slower so no need to worry about burping it....will be stable for months, but likely you'll eat them long before 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options

They taste great. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon