Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• caliking said:
    lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:
    Just set up a batch of stuff- garlic , white onions, japs, poblano, carrots. Liked the 5% salt and same of sugar that I did last time, so I rolled with that again. 

Added black cardamom, clove, and star anise as well this time. Let’s see what it does. 

I usually eat the fermented bits and homemade yogurt with dinner every day. I’ve noticed (good) GI changes, since I’ve been doing this for the past few months :)
    Please bring me some of that to put into one of Robin's Bloodies.  Please.
    My eyes are so bad I saw " Put that into Robins Boobies "
    @northGAcock would probably grow some, just for you. That’s what a swell guy he is. 
    I think he already has a set.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    Finally got pickles to my liking I had gone from,a 2% brine to 5%. Got the crunch but a little salt, backed this down to 3.5 % plus the temps are cooler, perfect crunch and half sour, only 5 days on the counter

Last hit sauce ferment for the year , Jalapenos, Habanaro, Anaheim, pablano ( had those in the fridge ) a few ghost and other stuff left over...garlic and onions , ready by Super Bowl Sunday 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    lkapigian said:
    Finally got pickles to my liking I had gone from,a 2% brine to 5%. Got the crunch but a little salt, backed this down to 3.5 % plus the temps are cooler, perfect crunch and half sour, only 5 days on the counter

Last hit sauce ferment for the year , Jalapenos, Habanaro, Anaheim, pablano ( had those in the fridge ) a few ghost and other stuff left over...garlic and onions , ready by Super Bowl Sunday 

just noticed you are in Visalia. I have never been but this cool chick I know lives there. Is it a small place?
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

just noticed you are in Visalia. I have never been but this cool chick I know lives there. Is it a small place?
    @FanOfFanboys , about 100k people but everybody knows everybody 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2019
    Proud of my Mddle Sin Collin that he wanted to try his hand at Lactofermentatoin.....I ordered him a Mason Tops starter kit, picked uo some jars and a scale .....He sent me these pictures Armenian Torshi.....Its better than,some of the other things he followed my footsteps in  =)

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    edited February 2019
    Hey @lkapigian I have a question that may have been touched on earlier in this thread but here goes.  I made a batch of Ghost pepper, Chili pepper blend, 2% sea salt, no yeast. fermented for month or so.
      Next I food milled with kitchenaid, boiled and bottled for consumption. My question is do I have to add vinegar if I keep them stored in the refrigerator?  I really like the flavor that it is now and I was hoping to avoid adding vinegar. 
     Thanks!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    Hey @lkapigian I have a question that may have been touched on earlier in this thread but here goes.  I made a batch of Ghost pepper, Chili pepper blend, 2% sea salt, no yeast. fermented for month or so.
      Next I food milled with kitchenaid, boiled and bottled for consumption. My question is do I have to add vinegar if I keep them stored in the refrigerator?  I really like the flavor that it is now and I was hoping to avoid adding vinegar. 
     Thanks!
    @alaskanassasin I have found my ferments before adding any vinegar to have a PH of around 3.4-3.6 so it is safe without the addition, I am sure yours will be in that range. I add Vinegar just for the flavor and I don't add that much

So, no you do not need to add it especially if refrigerated and I bet it would be safe not refrigerated...If you plan on doing a lot of fermenting , there are some nice PH meters out there that eliminate the guesswork
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks so much for the quick response!  I do a lot of fermenting now... of the adult beverage variety =)   Yesterday I bottled 9 gallons of Apply Cyser, tomorrow I plan to brew a batch of Red Ale.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    Thanks so much for the quick response!  I do a lot of fermenting now... of the adult beverage variety =)   Yesterday I bottled 9 gallons of Apply Cyser, tomorrow I plan to brew a batch of Red Ale.

That is my next venture!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
     Thanks!
    no vinegar here, been storing in the kitchen cabinet.  have not boiled it either. i do put the bottle im using in the fridge though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    ^^^^ this^^^ also for those that do boil to thicken, you are killing all the good bacteria , use an agent like Xanthan Gum
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian

Looking good @alaskanassasin...l@alaskanassasin...
    Looks like you went the Mash Route I've done that with great results!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Hey, I didn't know this was a thing. I got into facto-fermentation because of this group. I love it. Last fall my son and I made nine hot sauces from peppers we grew. We took the fermented mash we had strained and re-fermented it with some more garlic and onions. It's looking about those jars. I'm hoping its good. Always an adventure with this. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • lkapigian
    dharley said:
    Hey, I didn't know this was a thing. I got into facto-fermentation because of this group. I love it. Last fall my son and I made nine hot sauces from peppers we grew. We took the fermented mash we had strained and re-fermented it with some more garlic and onions. It's looking about those jars. I'm hoping its good. Always an adventure with this. 
    That's a great idea, it will keep fermenting , I've been dehydratiing my used up mash and making seasoned salts 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    lkapigian said:
    dharley said:
    That's a great idea, it will keep fermenting , I've been dehydratiing my used up mash and making seasoned salts 
    That's so cool! You can't buy stuff like that.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • lkapigian
    dharley said:
    lkapigian said:
    dharley said:
    That's so cool! You can't buy stuff like that.
    50/50 blend Dehydrated Thai Pepper Mash and Kosher Salt, blend the Mash down to about the size of the salt ...Yummy 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, I ran them through the Ninja and vacuum sealed for another day... that day has come, this is my second batch this winter. 
    @dharley It would be interesting to make different flavors with the same base. Last batch yielded about 4 1/2 pints. Lets us know how the re ferment goes.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian

Tell me about that ^^^^?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Irish Red Ale.  Prepared for blow off!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 24lbs 2row malted barley 
    2 lbs Belgian pils malt
    1 lb.  mouteris dingmans
    1 lb.  American special roast malt
    1 lb.  English pale chocolate 
    2 oz cluster hops
    2 oz of cascade hops
    2 packets of American Ale 2 yeast
    and water

no rice or corn syrup!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    24lbs 2row malted barley 
    2 lbs Belgian pils malt
    1 lb.  mouteris dingmans
    1 lb.  American special roast malt
    1 lb.  English pale chocolate 
    2 oz cluster hops
    2 oz of cascade hops
    2 packets of American Ale 2 yeast
    and water

no rice or corn syrup!
    I need to try that rabbit hole, thanks @alaskanassain
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Let me know if you need help getting started! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    edited February 2019
    Let me know if you need help getting started! 
    Thank you
    @alaskanassasin what is a basic set up and a easy first ferment
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Can't believe I went through a whole package in a year since a TBS goes a long way, that's a lot of hot sauce--new bag arrived today

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    That is impressive!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    edited April 2019

Re purposes some Thai and Jalapeno , straight up mash 3% salt.....his is a very active ferment and needs to be stirred every day or soright it. Somebody help with how to get the pictures straight in the new format .@Photo Egg

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Looks deliciouso Larry. On my phone I hit the picture to blow it up and the picture was shown correct. LOL.

South Buffalo, New York
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    I have a bunch of dried peppers that I don't know what to do with. Has anyone ever tried fermenting from a dried pepper? I could also add some fresh if need be