Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    poster said:
    lkapigian said:
    is there a big difference between a 4 week and a 6 week ferment?

I have some that have been going for 4 weeks and my plan was for them to go 6 but I am getting anxious ha. I am also heading to GA this Wednesday for Thanksgiving and the guy I am staying with is the one who grew the peppers. So it would be nice if I could take him the bottles of hot sauce that came from it. Otherwise I won't see him again until January or later. 

if there is a notable difference I will wait but if it is negligible then I will bottle it tonight or tomorrow. It is right at a 3% brine
    after doing a few i just settled on 3 weeks in the fermenter and bottle and let it go another month or two in the cupboard, it seems to mellow it out
    sweet, thanks. I'll go ahead and bottle it today or tomorrow then

I am new to this but here is my plan: throw the peppers into blender with maybe 1/4 cup of brine and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. blend, without overheating, until smooth. then push through a strainer and bottle that

anything you recommend I should change? I don't want to add any of the xantham gum to it, prefer it thin in texture

I blend twice, I add the vinegar Xanthan Gum and salt the second blend ...i add peppers to blender , fill with brine to the level of the peppers and blend careful not to overheat...ioverheat...i strain this then rank and the brine only with the additives....have fun

overheating? from blending? what did I miss?
    You'll kill all the good bacteria...some blenders will get quite hot 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    lkapigian said:

I have some that have been going for 4 weeks and my plan was for them to go 6 but I am getting anxious ha. I am also heading to GA this Wednesday for Thanksgiving and the guy I am staying with is the one who grew the peppers. So it would be nice if I could take him the bottles of hot sauce that came from it. Otherwise I won't see him again until January or later. 

if there is a notable difference I will wait but if it is negligible then I will bottle it tonight or tomorrow. It is right at a 3% brine
    after doing a few i just settled on 3 weeks in the fermenter and bottle and let it go another month or two in the cupboard, it seems to mellow it out

I am new to this but here is my plan: throw the peppers into blender with maybe 1/4 cup of brine and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. blend, without overheating, until smooth. then push through a strainer and bottle that

anything you recommend I should change? I don't want to add any of the xantham gum to it, prefer it thin in texture

I blend twice, I add the vinegar Xanthan Gum and salt the second blend ...i add peppers to blender , fill with brine to the level of the peppers and blend careful not to overheat...ioverheat...i strain this then rank and the brine only with the additives....have fun

Yep...both Blendtec and Vitamix have recipes for making steaming hot soup just using the blender.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Got a little more than 3 bottles worth. I wish the color was more appealing. Everyone else seems to get bright orange or something good looking ha. 
    Boom
  • I think it needs something. Not sure what. Maybe less white onion? See how the taste mellows over the next week or two 
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2018
    Awesome @FanOfFanboys ...I use cider vinegar ....about 1/2 cup per blender full 2 TBS Salt...flavor will change a bit in a day 

I usually get 3 to 4 bottles per blender full 

Play with the flavors ......color looks good...most importantly, great job on this journey 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    lkapigian said:

Oh, assumed the vinegar did that anyway, but I guess if they are already surviving the acidic environment a little vinegar doesnt hurt?
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2018
    @poster ,I think ( could be wrong ) the a acidic enviroment does not kill the good bacteria as long as there is food...my ferments get below 4 PH early on and they are still lively , the bad bacteria does not like acidic environments......i add vinegar for flavor 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    another dumb question: I dehydrated a bunch of habaneros and jalapenos with plans to make my own seasoning grinder. I never got around to it. I can still use those to ferment, right?

If dehydrated , I would make chili powder with it...dont think it will ferment ....coupd be wrong but you want fresh veggies to ferment
    gotcha, don't want to waste

do you have a go-to recipe to make chili powder? I have never done anything like that. it is mostly habaneros and jalapenos
    @FanOfFanboys

1. 3 parts cup sweet paprika.
    2. 1 Part garlic powder.
    3. 1 Part Dehydrated Chili pepper.
    4. 1 Part onion powder.
    5. 1 Part dried oregano.
    6. 1 Part ground cumin.

I cold Smoke mine after blending 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Rookie move.  Let myself get down to less than a pint of pickled jalapeño.  Remedy that. 

• lkapigian
    Ghost Peppers are Done , oh my Lord

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Giving the pickles another try. Increased salinity to 5%. Going in the fridge.  

Habenero, garlic and fresh bay compliments of @bgebrent and nichole

Starting another today, also giving the 5% a go
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Today is the day I taste test.  4 weeks in the fridge. 
  • Just tasted. Very crisp, but still cucumber after taste.  Back into the fridge for a few weeks.  

Also, one jar had a floater.  Bay leaf escaped and grew mold.  

Into the trash they go. 
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    Just tasted. Very crisp, but still cucumber after taste.  Back into the fridge for a few weeks.  

Also, one jar had a floater.  Bay leaf escaped and grew mold.  

Into the trash they go. 
    I think they would be ok but better safe ...its one reason I broke down and bought a PH meter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 2% salt to weight of the peppers? I thought it was to the amount of water?
    Boom
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    2% salt to weight of the peppers? I thought it was to the amount of water?
    @FanOfFanboys no water added, blended to a thick mash, there is enough water in the peppers....you have to stir it everyday 

But you are correct, when doing the brine method 2% brine solution 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    Wished I'd been doing this all along .....Dehydrated the mash 5 hours at 100

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    used some unstrained jalapeno mash this weekend for guacamole.  about 2 heaping tablespoons to 5 small avacados seems to work out well.  probably make a bottle every few months
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    used some unstrained jalapeno mash this weekend for guacamole.  about 2 heaping tablespoons to 5 small avacados seems to work out well.  probably make a bottle every few months
    and to think of all that I have tossed
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    Just set up a batch of stuff- garlic , white onions, japs, poblano, carrots. Liked the 5% salt and same of sugar that I did last time, so I rolled with that again. 

Added black cardamom, clove, and star anise as well this time. Let’s see what it does. 

I usually eat the fermented bits and homemade yogurt with dinner every day. I’ve noticed (good) GI changes, since I’ve been doing this for the past few months :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Oh, and thanks again to @20stone for the big ol’ jar and airlock. The mason jars aren’t enough anymore. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    Just set up a batch of stuff- garlic , white onions, japs, poblano, carrots. Liked the 5% salt and same of sugar that I did last time, so I rolled with that again. 

Added black cardamom, clove, and star anise as well this time. Let’s see what it does. 

I usually eat the fermented bits and homemade yogurt with dinner every day. I’ve noticed (good) GI changes, since I’ve been doing this for the past few months :)
    Please bring me some of that to put into one of Robin's Bloodies.  Please.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I gotta get back on the horse here.  Only have a jar of pickles going.  Have a supply of jalapeños.  Always quick pickles red onions because we go thru them so quickly.  
  • caliking
    bgebrent said:
    That may be doable :)

• lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:

My eyes are so bad I saw " Put that into Robins Boobies "
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:

@northGAcock would probably grow some, just for you. That’s what a swell guy he is. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:

@northGAcock would probably grow some, just for you. That’s what a swell guy he is. 
    Grew, grew...really swell.  Grew.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga