Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    No pic, but I did some japs, cukes, garlic, onion, bay leaves, coriander, in a 3.5% brine for a week, a few weeks ago. 

The japs  were crunchy, but the cukes were somewhat soft. I'll try 5% brine next, and see if that makes a difference. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    caliking said:
    No pic, but I did some japs, cukes, garlic, onion, bay leaves, coriander, in a 3.5% brine for a week, a few weeks ago. 

The japs  were crunchy, but the cukes were somewhat soft. I'll try 5% brine next, and see if that makes a difference. 
    Cukes my shortcoming ...next time ferment in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    caliking said:

hmm that's a much higher brine than I've tried.  2% for me.  Have to try this and see the difference
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I had luck with cucumbers this year but not so much last year. I did everything the same except I picked and pickled the same day this year. I also cut the stem end and blossom end back a touch. I didn't use any cucumbers larger than 1" diameter or 3" long. I think picking then straight to the jar made the difference. I fermented on the counter for 5 days at probably 72 degrees. I had a few cucumbers too many that I left on the counter overnight, they were already starting to wrinkle by morning. Makes me wonder what they put on them in the grocery stores to make them last longer. They are still crunchy after a few weeks now. I dontd know what ratio my brine was, but I used 3 tablespoons of  pickling salt to a quart of water
  • lkapigian
    Options
    poster said:
    I had luck with cucumbers this year but not so much last year. I did everything the same except I picked and pickled the same day this year. I also cut the stem end and blossom end back a touch. I didn't use any cucumbers larger than 1" diameter or 3" long. I think picking then straight to the jar made the difference. I fermented on the counter for 5 days at probably 72 degrees. I had a few cucumbers too many that I left on the counter overnight, they were already starting to wrinkle by morning. Makes me wonder what they put on them in the grocery stores to make them last longer. They are still crunchy after a few weeks now. I dontd know what ratio my brine was, but I used 3 tablespoons of  pickling salt to a quart of water
    I think I've gotten away with the 2-3% brine because of what I have been fermenting , need to kick up the % for softer veggies 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I poked around the interwebz a bit, and it turns out that food science folks are pretty nerdy about the whole crunchy pickle issue. 

What I learned was that higher salt concentration does help, but only to a point. No benefit (in fact it made things worse) past 11% according to one paper. Commercially, disposing of higher concentration brine is a problem, so they figured out that adding calcium chloride (0.2%) in the mix helped make a crunchy pickle, and less sodium chloride was needed. 

Enymatic activity of the yeasts and molds on cucumbers also contributes to softening of cucumbers. I think one paper said that taking the cukes out of the fermentation brine and sticking them in a fresh storage brine helped. But I may not be recalling this correctly. 

And as @poster mentioned, post-harvest processing makes a difference as well, particularly refrigeration (after harvest, but prior to  fermentation). 

I’m out :)

• lkapigian
    Options
  • caliking
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So my first rice beer experiment turned out decently. 

Fermented for 2 weeks. Would likely have been done in 1 week, if I had used a more starchy rice like the short grain sweet rice that is supposed to be used. 

Pasteurising at 160F x 1hr. 

Flavor is pretty good - sweet notes, and has a nice warmth to it when sipped. Kind of like a boozy horchata. 

Definitely worth another go :)

• lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    So my first rice beer experiment turned out decently. 

Fermented for 2 weeks. Would likely have been done in 1 week, if I had used a more starchy rice like the short grain sweet rice that is supposed to be used. 

Pasteurising at 160F x 1hr. 

Flavor is pretty good - sweet notes, and has a nice warmth to it when sipped. Kind of like a boozy horchata. 

Definitely worth another go :)
    Way to step it up @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    Options
    so after a 4week ferment my jalapenos are definitely ready.  I rinsed and filled with fresh brine last week.  Clear as a bell still today.  I took out all garlic, and just left the jalapenos.  Still a lot of garlic taste today, and a bit too crunchy/hot.  I was trying to achieve store bought pickled jalapenos but these are much crisper/ hot with a pronounced garlic flavor.  Some would love them.  I'll try some other variations now that I've been indoctrinated lol. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    stv8r said:
    so after a 4week ferment my jalapenos are definitely ready.  I rinsed and filled with fresh brine last week.  Clear as a bell still today.  I took out all garlic, and just left the jalapenos.  Still a lot of garlic taste today, and a bit too crunchy/hot.  I was trying to achieve store bought pickled jalapenos but these are much crisper/ hot with a pronounced garlic flavor.  Some would love them.  I'll try some other variations now that I've been indoctrinated lol. 
    Awesome @stv8r !!! The old brine is good to go, that's a happy culture 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Sounds like you've got a tasty condiment for a bloody mary there :)

• stv8r
    Options
    caliking said:
    stv8r said:
    Sounds like you've got a tasty condiment for a bloody mary there :)
    now that's tempting =)
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Jalapenos

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Jalapenos

Does it hold at room temp? What's the refrigerated shelf life?

• lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    lkapigian said:
    Jalapenos

Does it hold at room temp? What's the refrigerated shelf life?
    @caliking I refrigerate, I'd be guessing at shelf life as it doesn't last but 6 months is a very safe bet 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Anyone make wing sauce this way, using your hot sauce as the base?  I really like a heavy garlic with heat sauce and can’t really find a good overt store equivalent of what I like.  Also, what peppers would be best for this type of sauce?  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ghost peppers in the garden are really cutting it close, just starting to turn orange. its getting chilly up here. maybe into the ferment sunday if they dont go bad by then
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    stv8r said:

If your going for the store bought texture, try this:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/make-crisp-flavor-packed-pickles-on-the-quick

The cook time softens the peppers up a bit and you can adjust longer for your tatses. This is complete the same day as well as you don't have to ferment anything.

When I make pickles I do half this route and half fermented for some variety

I make candied jalapenos also sous vide with the "sweet" brine

• lkapigian
    Options
    Anyone make wing sauce this way, using your hot sauce as the base?  I really like a heavy garlic with heat sauce and can’t really find a good overt store equivalent of what I like.  Also, what peppers would be best for this type of sauce?  
    @FarmingPhD I use it in a lot of things but have not as a wing sauce base, but you could--A few things to consider, Fermented Garlic does not taste like Raw Garlic , the peppers you use will really mellow out with the fermentation and the heat will kill the beneficial bacteria--

Like you say, you could use it as a base, it has TONS of flavor, add Raw Garlic to the Mix and unfermented peppers to give some additional heat to the mix...

Jalapeno Fermented Hot Sauce is usually quite mellow, bit this last batch has way more Kick than the Fresno's I did a few weeks ago......I Love Franks Wing Sauce that I used to add to dishes and just use my ferments 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    A friend of mine made a sauce out of fermented Fresno's and garlic, and I've been thinking of using that for wings. I wasn't going to cook the sauce, though. Planning on cooking the wings,  then tossing with some sauce to coat. 

• lkapigian
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Trying to kick up the heat...4 pounds Jalapenos , 1.5 pounds Habanaro .75 pounds Thai Chili...Cold Smoking half the Jalapenos and Habanaro 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Jalapenos

Very good stuff there 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:
    Jalapenos

Very good stuff there 
    Thanks @20stone
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Trying to kick up the heat...4 pounds Jalapenos , 1.5 pounds Habanaro .75 pounds Thai Chili...Cold Smoking half the Jalapenos and Habanaro 

I did use a starter culture on this one, Not necessary but it does give it a kick start. I bought some when I first started fermenting, this is only the second time I've used it...and it is percolating away 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    found the gum at the market, how much do you add say per cup. does it go straight in or mixed with something first.
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    edited October 2018
    Options
    found the gum at the market, how much do you add say per cup. does it go straight in or mixed with something first.
    I use about 1.5 TBS. Straight in a big blender that's about 2/3 full....a little goes a looonnng way...the more you blend the thicker it gets, keep an eye on the temp when blending as to not kill the good bacteria

If it's per cup id try 1/2 TSP To start
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks, ill start with even a little less then in the food processor. looks like i have a lifetime supply of the gum
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    thanks, ill start with even a little less then in the food processor. looks like i have a lifetime supply of the gum
    I bought a bag on Amazon and haven't put a dent in it...FWIW keep it in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian