Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    Options
    stv8r said:
    caliking said:
    Just a random note to add, re ambient room temps, since it impacts fermentation projects - was reading a blog or something by an Indian lady (about fermenting rice batter for dosas/idlis/appams etc), and she mentions adjustments to the protocol for folks who keeps their homes cooler i.e. "less than 80F". 

I laughed because our crib is usually 80F or more, but almost everyone I know keeps their house at frigid temps :)

I laughed at your use of "crib" B) Seem to remember that term 20years ago
    That’s about how far I usually lag behind current trends :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,942
    Options
    3 pounds pickling cucumbers, smoked and dehydrated Thai and Serrano chili, garlic dill bay leaves and pickling spice ...cut the Bud End off the Cucs ..2% brine

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    @lkapigian - leaving the cukes whole?

• lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    @lkapigian - leaving the cukes whole?
    @caliking yes I am, last time I quartered them, thought I’d try whole this time...they are pretty small
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,832
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    3 pounds pickling cucumbers, smoked and dehydrated Thai and Serrano chili, garlic dill bay leaves and pickling spice ...cut the Bud End off the Cucs ..2% brine

Wow.  Looking forward to this one.
    NOLA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow either those are some humongous garlic cloves or those are really tiny cucumbers?  Where do you find those?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Wow either those are some humongous garlic cloves or those are really tiny cucumbers?  Where do you find those?
    Regular cloves , tiny cucumbers @stv8r , thanks @buzd504 ..ive only done pickles once, not the greatest texture but not bad, however the taste was as good if not better than the best jarred pickle I've had 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Peppers are cheaper than I remember .79/lb jalapeno, .49/lb for hatch, .89/lb serrano.

All told, 23lbs to be processed.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

Peppers are cheaper than I remember .79/lb jalapeno, .49/lb for hatch, .89/lb serrano.

All told, 23lbs to be processed.

Heck Ya @blasting !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    Options

I only had weights and lids to do three jars, so first I made a bunch of new wide mouth weights. 

There were a lot of hatch peppers, so I cold smoked 3 jars worth of them for 90 minutes.  They came out with a great smoky aroma, but we'll see if that comes through in the sauce.

After reading this thread, and a couple of books, I decided to keep the peppers separate.  Serrano, Hatch, Jalapeno, and Smoked Hatch.  My plan is to make a mash out of each - then work on small batch blends to learn what I like.

As I look at these 12 half gallon jars of peppers, I realize that once again I have failed at moderation.  This is my first attempt at hot sauce, so crossing fingers.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

I only had weights and lids to do three jars, so first I made a bunch of new wide mouth weights. 

There were a lot of hatch peppers, so I cold smoked 3 jars worth of them for 90 minutes.  They came out with a great smoky aroma, but we'll see if that comes through in the sauce.

After reading this thread, and a couple of books, I decided to keep the peppers separate.  Serrano, Hatch, Jalapeno, and Smoked Hatch.  My plan is to make a mash out of each - then work on small batch blends to learn what I like.

As I look at these 12 half gallon jars of peppers, I realize that once again I have failed at moderation.  This is my first attempt at hot sauce, so crossing fingers.

Awesome @blasting!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    You’re all in, @blasting

Should be fun playing around with different sauce blends once all of that is ready.  

• caliking
    Options
    All signs are pointing towards me diving deeper into this :smiley:

just read that harder veg like cukes are better if fermented in 5% brine.

Thoughts @lkapigian ?

• blasting
    edited September 2018
    Options

@caliking

I think I'm going to do a few jars of cukes, so I'd be interested as well.

I've been burping my jars a couple times a day.  The smell is delicious - I can't get enough of it.  Hopefully the cloudiness is normal.

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    Options
    @blasting - i aint no expert, but I believe that level of turbidity is expected. That's about what the couple of jars I have done looked like.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited September 2018
    Options
    blasting said:

I know what you mean.  I spent $50 plus to try this out.  My 3 weeks are up on  Sunday...can't wait to try the results :)
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    All signs are pointing towards me diving deeper into this :smiley:

just read that harder veg like cukes are better if fermented in 5% brine.

Thoughts @lkapigian ?
    @caliking I believe that there may be truth to that, my 2% cucs that I started 5 days ago are soft where the higher % I did was crunchie ...none the less , next time my picked are fermenting in the fridge or wait till winter 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love this thread!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    Options
    stv8r said:
    blasting said:

I know what you mean.  I spent $50 plus to try this out.  My 3 weeks are up on  Sunday...can't wait to try the results :)
    @stv8r still a reasonably priced kitchen hobby
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

@caliking

I think I'm going to do a few jars of cukes, so I'd be interested as well.

I've been burping my jars a couple times a day.  The smell is delicious - I can't get enough of it.  Hopefully the cloudiness is normal.

Looks spot on @blasting ....I’m struggling with cuc’s so far so watching for someone to nail them
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    Options

Looks like cukes like a low fermenting temp, and more salt.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

Looks like cukes like a low fermenting temp, and more salt.

Thanks @blasting , going give that a try, these are good, break when you bend them...taste good but not proud enough to pass out

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    So you get an idea of the transformation in just 5 days

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    3 weeks, love the color of the Fresno's

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    Oh man. I somehow missed this thread. Thanks for (yet )another kitchen hobby :)

There’s a papaya hot sauce made in Aruba that we haven’t been able to find here. I’m going to take a crack at it, thanks to this thread. 

I’ll be back to bug you with questions after my stuff from Amazon arrives...
    I know I’ve done my part to egg you on. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Deeper down the hole I go

• lkapigian
    Options
  • caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    Oh man. I somehow missed this thread. Thanks for (yet )another kitchen hobby :)

There’s a papaya hot sauce made in Aruba that we haven’t been able to find here. I’m going to take a crack at it, thanks to this thread. 

I’ll be back to bug you with questions after my stuff from Amazon arrives...
    I know I’ve done my part to egg you on. 
    Yes. You struck right when I was contemplating buying bigger jars, etc. 

Rice beer. Should be ready in a week or two.

And thanks for the Katz book. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jalapeño, habanero, garlic, bay.  Away we go. 

• blasting
    Options
    Jalapeño, habanero, garlic, bay.  Away we go. 

I thought the bay leaf was for keeping things crisp?  Was I supposed to add bay leaf to my hot sauce ferments?

Nice jar btw.  
    Phoenix