Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    Options

Guess I’m all in. 
    If you can return that, I will send you a bag gratis. Just pm your address. 

I somehow ended up with 2 bags of the stuff, and doubt I’ll ever get through even 1. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    caliking said:

Guess I’m all in. 
    If you can return that, I will send you a bag gratis. Just pm your address. 

I somehow ended up with 2 bags of the stuff, and doubt I’ll ever get through even 1. 
    @caliking I appreciate the offer, but I have plans for low carb tortillas tomorrow night.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,942
    Options
    Finally had some Fresnos in the store, this is my favorite Sriracha...5 pounds, 2 onions 3 heads of garlic 2% brine

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    blasting said:
    How did I miss this thread.  Good stuff!!  Another rabbit hole, lol.

@Ikapigian Did you have any books you'd recommend that pointed you down this path?

@blasting lots of YouTube , Sandor Katz is the fermentation Guru, learned mainly you do not need a starter culture they sell on Amazon, Just non iodized salt (2-3% Brine), non chlorinated water, warmer the weather the faster the ferment, try and keep it under 75, when you are happy with the taste, in the fridge it goes

Damn, so now I have to keep my AC at 75 or below while I try this :o I usually set back to 78 when at work.  Will it really make a difference?
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    stv8r said:
    lkapigian said:
    blasting said:
    How did I miss this thread.  Good stuff!!  Another rabbit hole, lol.

@Ikapigian Did you have any books you'd recommend that pointed you down this path?

@blasting lots of YouTube , Sandor Katz is the fermentation Guru, learned mainly you do not need a starter culture they sell on Amazon, Just non iodized salt (2-3% Brine), non chlorinated water, warmer the weather the faster the ferment, try and keep it under 75, when you are happy with the taste, in the fridge it goes

Damn, so now I have to keep my AC at 75 or below while I try this :o I usually set back to 78 when at work.  Will it really make a difference?
    I keep mime @78, seems 80 and above you have to pay more attention ....is been 105 where I am,will summer so it creeps up in the kitchen...i just moved my crocks to,the bedroom ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    Options
    ok thanks.  Bought sweet peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, garlic and pearl onions.  Ready to experiment!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    You people live in sweat lodges!
  • lkapigian
    Options
    stv8r said:
    ok thanks.  Bought sweet peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, garlic and pearl onions.  Ready to experiment!
    Post em up @stv8r
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I know , and I'm an HVAC contractor 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • vthokie98
    Options
    Giving this a go.  Got homegrown habaneros, aji charapitas, sweet peppers, onion and garlic.  First time doing this and struggling to get the stones to keep everything submerged.  Any issues here or do i need to keep messing with the stones or remove what’s floating?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome @vthokie98 , I would worry,about the stones...as things settle in and get done float in, just remove the floaters 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • vthokie98
    Options
    OK..so i need to remove whatever floats...will try to get what’s floating now out...thanks

• lkapigian
    Options
    Seeds and such are ok but the veggies will/can get mold ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    Options
    Well I finally got all my components together and an giving this a whirl too.  Guess we will see how things look in 3 weeks!
  • lkapigian
    Options
  • stv8r
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Nice @stv8r !
    Thanks @lkapigian One question, does it matter whether or not you leave an airspace in the jar?  My liquid comes to the top over the weights (I'm using a fermalid to vent when needed). 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    stv8r said:
    lkapigian said:
    Nice @stv8r !
    Thanks @lkapigian One question, does it matter whether or not you leave an airspace in the jar?  My liquid comes to the top over the weights (I'm using a fermalid to vent when needed). 
    Not really, if there is room /ability for gas to escape you are good 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    edited August 2018
    Options
    came home today to a very pungent garlic smell.  My jars are venting the gas and it is very garlicky.  I'm wondering if I overdid it?  See above pic.  That garlic(3 heads) was divided among 4 1qt jars. should I consider taking some out?
  • stv8r
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I know , and I'm an HVAC contractor 
    I'm an HVAC wholesaler lol
  • caliking
    Options
    stv8r said:
    came home today to a very pungent garlic smell.  My jars are venting the gas and it is very garlicky.  I'm wondering if I overdid it?  See above pic.  That garlic(3 heads) was divided among 4 1qt jars. should I consider taking some out?
    There is no such thing as too much garlic!

• lkapigian
    Options
    Like @caliking said, no such thing...let it ride it will mellow out 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    @lkapigian - do you store the dill pickles in fresh brine when it’s time to stick them in the fridge? Or is it okay to leave them in the original brine? Mine should be done in a couple of days (1 week ferment). 

And to follow-up re: making appams. They are a savory crepe of sorts, made from fermented rice batter. Coconut water and coconut milk go in the mix too. Fried them in a small, lightly oiled wok, by swirling to coat the bottom. The edges turn out thin and crispy, the middle is thicker and soft. 

Usually eaten with meat or veg curry type of stuff. These turned out pretty good. 

• lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    @lkapigian - do you store the dill pickles in fresh brine when it’s time to stick them in the fridge? Or is it okay to leave them in the original brine? Mine should be done in a couple of days (1 week ferment). 

And to follow-up re: making appams. They are a savory crepe of sorts, made from fermented rice batter. Coconut water and coconut milk go in the mix too. Fried them in a small, lightly oiled wok, by swirling to coat the bottom. The edges turn out thin and crispy, the middle is thicker and soft. 

Usually eaten with meat or veg curry type of stuff. These turned out pretty good. 

In the fridge, original brine ( I always use original brine) ....they will still ferment but real slow, they don't last long...Those Crepes look great
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,187
    Options
    I'm finding the peppers lose quite a bit of heat as fermenting takes place. Any ideas to stop this a bit? I keep all the seeds in. Could it be the onion I put in with them? I may need to step up to hotter peppers
  • lkapigian
    edited August 2018
    Options
    poster said:
    I'm finding the peppers lose quite a bit of heat as fermenting takes place. Any ideas to stop this a bit? I keep all the seeds in. Could it be the onion I put in with them? I may need to step up to hotter peppers
    Even Habanero's mellow and I keepall seeds it, I only toss the stem , that's part of the complexity of it...I have never tried to add Reapers or anything like that , so depending on the heat level you want, you need to up the Anti. I like Hot hot stuff but will trade the complexity of a mild fermented sauce any day
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • vthokie98
    Options
    Question. Is this an issue?  I feel like I’m scooping things out of this thing twice a day. Peppers and onion keep floating to the top and now the white business is habging out on top. Any help is greatly appreciated. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    vthokie98 said:
    Question. Is this an issue?  I feel like I’m scooping things out of this thing twice a day. Peppers and onion keep floating to the top and now the white business is habging out on top. Any help is greatly appreciated. 
    That is Kahm Yeast and is OK, It it is either warm where you are fermenting or your salt is a little weak - Weight the peppers down- a Ziplock Baggy full of a brine works ....I find 80 and above I get more Kahm yeast activity 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    @vthokie98 that’s Kahm yeast. Harmless, but can apparently affect the flavor if you leave it in when storing the peppers in the fridge. 

You can can skim it off when you’re done fermenting. I dropped a dry folded paper towel flat on top of it all and picked it up with tongs. Most of the yeast stuck  to the wet paper towel. The peppers and stuff in that jar have tasted fine. 

• vthokie98
    Options
    thanks for the quick responses y'all...was able to get a ziplock of brine in there and hopefully should prevent me from having to pull out more of them.  Must be low on the salt is my guess.  My main floor keeps pretty close to 70 all day and night.  Will add a bit salt to the next time i make brine.