Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• I just go strait up salt and chili flakes, sometimes fresh dill, skip the pickling spice...also did you add any bay leaf, you need some Tannin to keep it crunchy .....also cutting the flower end off the cuc needs to be done
    I did fresh dill and went with the bay leaf for tannin. I also cut the flower ends ever so slightly actually I cut both ends. Chili flakes is a great idea! I'll definitely do that next time. The pickling spice just isnt for me.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Another round bottled up. I forgot the onion in these so I’ll see how that goes. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited May 2020

An update on Kahm yeast. Before this batch I washed my fermentation jar in hot soapy water as I have been doing. This time I also sprayed the inside with Star-San and let it dry before I added all the peppers and veggies. I also put one cabbage leaf over the top of everything to hold things together under a fermentation weight. 
    I had no Kahm yeast at all and this batch was the least cloudy of any I have done so far. Did the lack of onions matter in this equation? I dunno. Just thought I’d share this. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    SciAggie said:

An update on Kahm yeast. Before this batch I washed my fermentation jar in hot soapy water as I have been doing. This time I also sprayed the inside with Star-San and let it dry before I added all the peppers and veggies. I also put one cabbage leaf over the top of everything to hold things together under a fermentation weight. 
    I had no Kahm yeast at all and this batch was the least cloudy of any I have done so far. Did the lack of onions matter in this equation? I dunno. Just thought I’d share this. 
    Good question @SciAggie, never used the star San but thought about it, I do always clean with a bleach solution ....that being said the only thing I can say about the Kahn yeast is it seems the faster the ferment the more there is....whether it be temp related or just more available food ( sugar in the onion )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian I’ll probably start another batch this week. I’ll use the Star-San and try not to forget the onion this time. I’ll report what happens. 
    It’s interesting too between batches how the flavor profile shifts a bit. I assume that’s due to natural differences in the peppers and vegetables (and forgetting onion). They are all good though. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    I'm two weeks in on a batch of hot sauce and I don't have a large amount of yeast yet. I do have onions in mine. My one week pickles had more yeast than does my hot sauce, at least so far...
    I have fermented many gallons of beer directly after using Star-San with out fail. Different yeast, I know but it will interesting to see what your next batch does...
  • SciAggie
    @JethroBodeen That’s good to know. Thanks for the information. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    Just pulled this. Started 2 weeks ago, because I need LF brine to make ketchup. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    ketchup ketchup? Do tell...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    SciAggie said:
    What he said!

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    What he said!

Ketchup has been item #38 on the list of stuff I want to do/make :)

Back in the day, an aunt would make a fermented spicy ketchup on the regular. Haven't forgotten it. She died in 2006, way before I was geeky about food, so I don't have a way of learning how to do it. A local burger place claims to make ketchup in house, and it was pretty damn good when I tried it a couple of years ago.

Then @The Cen-Tex Smoker turned me on to Joshua Weismann recently, and I'm still in that rabbithole. Wouldn't you know that he has a vid for ketchup? So that's where I'm at. 

• SciAggie
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    What he said!

Ketchup has been item #38 on the list of stuff I want to do/make :)

Back in the day, an aunt would make a fermented spicy ketchup on the regular. Haven't forgotten it. She died in 2006, way before I was geeky about food, so I don't have a way of learning how to do it. A local burger place claims to make ketchup in house, and it was pretty damn good when I tried it a couple of years ago.

Then @The Cen-Tex Smoker turned me on to Joshua Weismann recently, and I'm still in that rabbithole. Wouldn't you know that he has a vid for ketchup? So that's where I'm at. 
    Thanks! I’m this far into fermentation, what’s a little deeper? I bought the stuff for fermented mustard, why not ketchup?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    Cant wait to see how the ketchup turns out...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    made a buffalo wing sauce with my last batch for some steaks, added some dizzypig ghost. will be doing that again. served with bluecheese dressing

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    surprised no one has mentioned fermenting fish, this recipe looks doable

fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    I thought I’d try mustard. This is the recipe from Brad Leone It’s Alive!

It should hydrate and thicken. It did on YouTube...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    made a buffalo wing sauce with my last batch for some steaks, added some dizzypig ghost. will be doing that again. served with bluecheese dressing

This has me interested. Do you have a recipe to share for the wing sauce?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
  • caliking
    LFK is up. Should be ready in 3-4 days. 

Added 1 TBSP each of gochujang paste and red miso because it wasn’t looking fun enough. Let’s see how it turns out. 

• SciAggie
    This thread has started to grow tendrils that are separating in a fractal like manner into all kinds of interesting areas. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    I feel behind the curve!  My first batch for hot sauce is finishing up today.  Wife was very upset about the smells eminating from the pantry.  Hope the flavor makes up for it ;) 

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lkapigian
    caliking said:
    LFK is up. Should be ready in 3-4 days. 

Added 1 TBSP each of gochujang paste and red miso because it wasn’t looking fun enough. Let’s see how it turns out. 
    Pretty cool , that's my full initials =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    SciAggie said:

This has me interested. Do you have a recipe to share for the wing sauce?

the last batch i made was scotch bonnet, thai pepper, pineapple, garlic, and onion for the sauce with added vinegar.  took that and heated it up with butter and ghost rub for the sauce and basted the steak as it finished off. next time i will marinate it for a couple hours  and baste towards the end.  i used flap steak and did some with dp mole rub and some with the buffalo sauce, the buffalo sauce ones were more tender but im not sure why as they were only basted
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    Ok. I have a “fermentation station” ala Brad Leone...
    5 Liter crock of peppers for hot sauce and mustard getting happy. 

@lkapigian I didn’t have cabbage so I put a few lettuce leaves over the peppers and under the weights to hold everything under the liquid. Any problem with using lettuce?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    SciAggie said:
    Ok. I have a “fermentation station” ala Brad Leone...
    5 Liter crock of peppers for hot sauce and mustard getting happy. 

@lkapigian I didn’t have cabbage so I put a few lettuce leaves over the peppers and under the weights to hold everything under the liquid. Any problem with using lettuce?
    I used a collard green leaf to do just that with mine. Two weeks in and it still looks fine. I hope it works out!

• SciAggie
    @JethroBodeen Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Awesome @SciAggie, anything to keep it anaerobic works 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian It hurt sooooo bad today. When I was in Sam’s there were prime ribeye primals for 10.50 a pound. I mean $100 and I walk away with a beautiful rice of meat.  I just DO NOT have any room to dry age meat. Everything is full. This could be $30 per pound beef in 35 days. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian It hurt sooooo bad today. When I was in Sam’s there were prime ribeye primals for 10.50 a pound. I mean $100 and I walk away with a beautiful rice of meat.  I just DO NOT have any room to dry age meat. Everything is full. This could be $30 per pound beef in 35 days. 
    I'm kinda slow and all that, but somewhere in there I thought I heard that you need a dry aging fridge?
    https://www.amazon.com/RCA-RFR321-FR320-IGLOO-Refrigerator-Fridge/dp/B00P84EVMQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=refrigerator&qid=1588724653&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

• SciAggie
    @caliking I’m ordering a full size freezer for a curing chamber. Delivery is July/August...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon