Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Once you start you’ll be hooked. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    @GATraveller Jump in with both feet. You wont regret it..
  • SciAggie
    I have enough sauerkraut to last for a while. Now it’s time to make some more hot sauce. 
    pH is about 3.5 so that’s good. 

I used Star San in every before I made this batch. After 3 weeks not a speck of Kahm yeast. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    @SciAggie I have heard of but never used Star San, will have to give that a try
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    What you got in the kraut? cabbage and carrots?
  • SciAggie
    Got some mustard into the queue... Ferment one week, refrigerate for two before eating. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I have some Amazon $ so I see a fermenting crock in my near future!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    What you got in the kraut? cabbage and carrots?
    You guessed it. It’s not complicated. Cabbage, carrots, and a 3% brine. I let it go for 3 weeks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian I mixed a full 5 gallons of StarSan (1 oz makes 5 gallons). I soaked the entire crock, lid, and weights for the recommended time - I think it was 2 minutes of full immersion. Then you drain the pieces but don’t wipe them. I did that first and then by the time I had my cabbage processed the crock was almost dry. I just packed it all in after that. 
    Also, I’m learning not to “peek” at my ferments. I just let it go the whole 3 weeks without lifting the crock lid. That probably is helping with the yeast problem as well. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    I have some Amazon $ so I see a fermenting crock in my near future!! 
    I have 2 of the 5 Litre 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG77G8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian I mixed a full 5 gallons of StarSan (1 oz makes 5 gallons). I soaked the entire crock, lid, and weights for the recommended time - I think it was 2 minutes of full immersion. Then you drain the pieces but don’t wipe them. I did that first and then by the time I had my cabbage processed the crock was almost dry. I just packed it all in after that. 
    Also, I’m learning not to “peek” at my ferments. I just let it go the whole 3 weeks without lifting the crock lid. That probably is helping with the yeast problem as well. 
    Thanks @SciAggie, yes opening the lid release the trapped C02 and introduces oxygen 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian That looks like the one I have and I like it.

I also started elevating the base a little bit to allow some air flow under the crock. It has a habit of being a bit moist underneath if I don’t and sometimes some funk will grow on the bottom of the crock. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2020
    SciAggie said:

I also started elevating the base a little bit to allow some air flow under the crock. It has a habit of being a bit moist underneath if I don’t and sometimes some funk will grow on the bottom of the crock. 
    I will say for those with Crocs, you will see at time you water seal is suddenly dry. What is going on is it is siphoning ( i think )  into the crock when a large temp change happens IE a cool nigh then warm day in the room....not a pig deal but if you are only putting water in the seal, if this happens a lot it can dilute your brine, my brine level does rise when this happens  

In my area when the season changes this can happen a few times a week

Just something to look @ if you see the water seal suddenly dry 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

I will say for those with Crocs, you will see at time you water seal is suddenly dry. What is going on is it is siphoning into the crock when a large temp change happens IE a cool nigh then warm day in the room....not a pig deal but if you are only putting water in the seal, if this happens a lot it can dilute your brine

i keep a bottle of salted water next to my mason fermenter, basically the same design as the crock
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2020
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

I will say for those with Crocs, you will see at time you water seal is suddenly dry. What is going on is it is siphoning ( i think )  into the crock when a large temp change happens IE a cool nigh then warm day in the room....not a pig deal but if you are only putting water in the seal, if this happens a lot it can dilute your brine, my brine level does rise when this happens  

I’ve noticed that as well. I like your hypothesis about why it happens. Usually it is the same - everything is good, then the trough is low in the morning. That was my big motivation for checking the pH closely. I had some concern that the diluted brine may have allowed the pH to creep up. That wasn’t an issue. It was still salty (by taste) as well. It seems the dilution isn’t significant. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

I’ve noticed that as well. I like your hypothesis about why it happens. Usually it is the same - everything is good, then the trough is low in the morning. 
    Its probably more of a barometric pressure thing , but it is on those "weather change days" and the pressure in the room overcomes the pressure in the Croc

first couple times i was "WTF" 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    lkapigian said:
    first couple times i was "WTF" 
    Lol, me too. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Bottled my first batch of Kombucha. Flavor is strawberry lime. I’ll go 18 hours on the secondary ferment and see how much carbonation I get. It tastes good. pH came out right at 3.5 so that is good. Overall easy peasy to make. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    Bottled my first batch of Kombucha. Flavor is strawberry lime. I’ll go 18 hours on the secondary ferment and see how much carbonation I get. It tastes good. pH came out right at 3.5 so that is good. Overall easy peasy to make. 

That looks amazing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    lkapigian said:
    That looks amazing 
    I ran some fresh strawberries through a food mill and gave each bottle the juice of 1/2 a lime. Each bottle got 1/4 cup or so of strawberry puree. We’ll see in a day or so...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen

New batch of hot sauce. This time with some pineapple....
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    That looks amazing 
    I ran some fresh strawberries through a food mill and gave each bottle the juice of 1/2 a lime. Each bottle got 1/4 cup or so of strawberry puree. We’ll see in a day or so...
    Looks refreshing @sciaggie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian

New batch of hot sauce. This time with some pineapple....
    Have yet to try pineapple in there, should be an active ferment with that extra sugar 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited June 2020
    Don't throw your mash away...50/50 mix of Kosher Salt and Dehydrated  Red Pepper Mash in a Woozey Bottle, keep the shaker to on, nice hot vinagary salt

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian Lol - we think alike. I made this earlier in the week. Got the idea from Chili Chump on YouTube. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Lol - we think alike. I made this earlier in the week. Got the idea from Chili Chump on YouTube. 

Hot Diggity Dog ...Chili Chump has a great channel
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    lkapigian said:
    Don't throw your mash away...50/50 mix of Kosher Salt and Dehydrated  Red Pepper Mash in a Woozey Bottle, keep the shaker to on, nice hot vinagary salt

Is this completely dried out? You just spread it out on something and let it dry?
  • SciAggie
    @JethroBodeen In my case I spread the mash out on parchment paper cut to fit on a dehydrator tray. I dried it and then ground it in a mortar. Be wary of dust... It’ll getcha...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

Is this completely dried out? You just spread it out on something and let it dry?
    Like @SciAggie , parchment or slipmat , into the dehydrator, I put mine in my Ninja in the smoothie attachment 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    Anyone ferment tomatoes?  I have more than I know what to do with, and wondered if you could.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard