Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @lkapigian Just skim off what I can and then shake it up?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Just skim off what I can and then shake it up?

Yes sir or just stir it in, perfectly fine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 525
    Looks good to me too! I'm surprised even at that temp that the fermentation process is that active. I would probably be more afraid of the heat factor than the kahm factor...
  • SciAggie
    @JethroBodeen To be clear - you mean the hotness of the sauce (taste) - or temperature abuse of the sauce as a food item?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Natural PH level of 4.6 or lower is technically shelf stable, all the sauces I've done come in upper 3s lower 4s , that temp range you have is fine, it will just be more of an active ferment vs placing in a regular fridge environment
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    @SciAggie Definitely the hotness of the sauce!
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian @JethroBodeen Thanks for the comments. Like so many things - there’s a lot to learn. The complexity is in the details. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    Im starting to see why such big vessels are used for ferments. My first hot sauce is all but gone already!
  • SciAggie
    Just sharing the frustrations of technology. In my course of teaching I acquire tools and tech from different grants and workshops...
    So I have a TI-Nspire calculator, lab cradle, and Vernier pH sensor. I use the calculator and lab cradle often with other sensors - just not pH. I had a brand new pH sensor, so I was thinking - sweet! - no need to buy one. 
    Well, it has been working great. I have storage buffer and calibration solutions. Life is good right?
    Well, chit - the calculator suddenly stops recognizing the sensor. I reset both lab cradle and calculator. Didn’t fix it. 
    Tried a different sensor. No dice...
    Ok - used a school owned setup - doesn’t read the sensor. 
    Tried a different sensor - with school and personal calculator - no dice. 
    Jeez Louise... I just quit. I’ll figure it out later...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JethroBodeen
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian @JethroBodeen Thanks for the comments. Like so many things - there’s a lot to learn. The complexity is in the details. 

I'm totally still learning as well and I don't have any sensors or meters etc. I think sometimes simpler is better, at least for me. Other than some mushy pickles on the first batch, we have enjoyed all of it so far. Thanks to @lkapigian for his help. Been thinking about a sour dough rabbit hole but thankfully flour is hard to come by right now....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    my last batch of hot sauce is still on the counter from last fall and theres no kahm yeast. have not seen that with hot sauces yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2020
    I got my pH meter back up and running and did a two point calibration. I tested a sample of the hot sauce that had Kahm yeast. It measured a pH that hovered around 3.2. Even given room for error it seems to be fine in terms of pH.
    So I suspect that the issue is the small drink refrigerator. When it runs low and we load it with a bunch of room temperature sodas (and beer) I suspect the time before it all cools gives opportunity for further fermentation to occur.
    Another factor is the amount of vegetable and pepper solids that remain in this sauce. It was processed through a food mill so there is a substantial increase in solids over previous batches I have done.
    I have subsequently moved the bottles into my refrigerator in the house and I'll monitor progress from there to see if it recurs or if this solves the problem.
    Either way, it smells fine and looks fine.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    2 weeks in, 2 to go. starting to look like worcestershire

fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,850
    edited June 2020
    Pineapple, onions, carrots, a clove of garlic, and 6 habeneros from the garden. I will probably drop in a few more peppers over the next few days as they ripen. 3% brine. 

NOLA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Ok going to try my hand at this. Bought these off amazon and (4) 32oz mason jars. Any pointers?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    Ok going to try my hand at this. Bought these off amazon and (4) 32oz mason jars. Any pointers?

A decent scale to measure the salt % is nice to have......don't use chlorine free water and non iodized salt, have fun post results 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    lkapigian said:

A decent scale to measure the salt % is nice to have......don't use chlorine free water and non iodized salt, have fun post results 
    Ok, now I am confused.  I used non-chlorinated water and non-iodized salt.  My first batch was great.  Did I do something wrong?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,850
    lkapigian said:

Ok, now I am confused.  I used non-chlorinated water and non-iodized salt.  My first batch was great.  Did I do something wrong?

Lol, I think he added too many negatives.

My habeneros (above) have nice bubbles after just one day.
    NOLA
  • SciAggie
    yeah, he meant use non-chlorinated water and non-iodized salt. Another tip if you plan to play a lot. Buy some StarSan to help sanitize the containers. Keep the fermenting materials submerged in the brine.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    for the hot sauce i use 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt per cup of water, some use scales at 2 to 3 percent. then its add chopped peppers, garlic, and something like onion or pineapple or both for the sugars. thick slice of onion up top weighted down. top of my fridge seems to be the right temp most of the year as my house runs cold but this time of year for most a dark cool closet will work.. fill with brine mix over the peppers. wait three weeks, drain and save the brine for adding back into sauce, blend peppers and strain thru a colander. you can use xantham gum to thicken, you can add vinegar for flavor or not, those things are up to you. be careful adding the gum or it will over thicken
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    for the hot sauce i use 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt per cup of water, some use scales at 2 to 3 percent. then its add chopped peppers, garlic, and something like onion or pineapple or both for the sugars. thick slice of onion up top weighted down. top of my fridge seems to be the right temp most of the year as my house runs cold but this time of year for most a dark cool closet will work.. fill with brine mix over the peppers. wait three weeks, drain and save the brine for adding back into sauce, blend peppers and strain thru a colander. you can use xantham gum to thicken, you can add vinegar for flavor or not, those things are up to you. be careful adding the gum or it will over thicken

i use well water and seasalt ;)
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

Ha Ha ,Use chlorine free water and use non iodized salt, my bad 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Good deal ... I am really enjoying this fermentation thing, but it is literally like black magic to me.  I just have to make sure I follow the incantations, wait the right amount of time, and enjoy.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Good deal ... I am really enjoying this fermentation thing, but it is literally like black magic to me.  I just have to make sure I follow the incantations, wait the right amount of time, and enjoy.
    You should try fermented sausage 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Well- I picked up a scoby at the farmer’s market today.... Kombucha here I come.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796

Stuff grows in our tap water after a few days, so I add vodka in the air lock. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JethroBodeen
    SciAggie said:
    Well- I picked up a scoby at the farmer’s market today.... Kombucha here I come.
    I thought about this too. Then I tried some of it for the first time! Yuck! I dont get it.....

• lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    Looking forward to this one 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Got the SCOBY into my tea solution. We’ll see what it looks like in a week. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Just want to say this is one of the best threads on this site even if I haven't made anything YET. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA