Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    Eoin said:
    This is the ferment using slowburn chillies from the greenhouse. These are not supposed to be that hot, but they came out pretty good and spicy. This was the first crop 3 weeks ago, just picked some more for smoking today. It's in the fridge now to stop it from bubbling over again.

That should be amazing sauce @Eoin
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Last hanging peppers, made a quick mash with garlic peppers onion 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Started this back in July, kind if forgot about it since then when I put it in the spare fridge ...flavor really developed from really good , to Damn great

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Started this back in July, kind if forgot about it since then when I put it in the spare fridge ...flavor really developed from really good , to Damn great

Is that really the colour change from green to brown?  Did it ferment in the fridge, just slowly?  Did you start this warm and then fridge to age it? Did you cover?

I have some remaining chillis that I'll have to get in soon, more have ripened or part ripened in the last month, in spite of the cold weather.  We've had no proper frost, but I'm sure that will happen soon.  A paste would be good to make with the partly ripe Scotch Bonnets and Slow Burns.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @Eoin , it’s fermented mustard, brown and yellow seeds...if You like whole grain mustard, you’ll love this 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I've read a little bit of this thread, but it's a bit overwhelming to get through it all.  Maybe this has been done, but I did a lazy man's pickled peppers.

I had a bunch of sweet italian peppers of different states of ripeness from my parents farm.  I had just finished a jar of my favorite store bought pickles (Famous Dave's Signature Spicy) and thought hmm.  I wonder if I can repurpose the pickle brine.

I sliced the peppers in rings and stuffed into the Famous Dave's jar.  I threw in some garlic cloves and topped off with apple cider vinegar.

Well, when I first opened after a few weeks I had some fermentation action and the flavor of the peppers were awesome.  The pics are after I have had a bunch.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Those look really good @RyanStl ...can you tell us what's in their brine 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I made up a batch of sausage. We all know it needs mustard - so I figured I better whip up a batch of fermented mustard. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I made up a batch of sausage. We all know it needs mustard - so I figured I better whip up a batch of fermented mustard. 

Look Great !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Those look really good @RyanStl ...can you tell us what's in their brine 
    Thanks, here is the ingredient list on the jar of Famous Dave's in order:
    Fresh Cucumbers (already eaten)
    High Fructose Corn Syrump (never thought to check pickles for this, as it's disappointing.)
    Water
    Vinegar
    Salt (less than 2%)
    Spices (Contains Mustard and Celery Seed)
    Dehydrated Onions
    Calcium Chloride
    Dehydrated Red Bell Peppers
    Natural and Artifical Flavors
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @RyanStl Give it a go Minus the vinegar calcium chloride and cory syrup, bump the salt to 2-3% use real bell peppers and onion with Fresh Cucumber, check at 5 days 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Bump
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Sheldon_Nigel Posts: 173
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Got another crop of peppers from my garden.  Tried a new pepper, Caribbean Pepper, that I know nothing about.  This might be a hot batch, because the caribbean red hot peppers smelled and tasted just like a habenaro. I was a bit surprised.  It is half caribbean pepper and half jalapenos, with some onion and carrots. 3% brine. We shall see in a week or so.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Got another crop of peppers from my garden.  Tried a new pepper, Caribbean Pepper, that I know nothing about.  This might be a hot batch, because the caribbean red hot peppers smelled and tasted just like a habenaro. I was a bit surprised.  It is half caribbean pepper and half jalapenos, with some onion and carrots. 3% brine. We shall see in a week or so.

Beauty !#
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @lkapigian please help. I neglected my peppers and now need some advice. When I open the tops of the jars I smell some alcohol. Also as you will see below I have everything from the normal white stuff on top to a blanket of "stuff" floating on top. Please look and give me some guidance.

The first picture shows the top of the jar. The second picture are the carrots with the blanket on top.  the third picture is the blanket removed. What do you think? Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top the second picture is all the stuff from the top cleaned up. The two green spots are just Peppers nothing bad. And the third picture is the debris that I'm removed from the Top. If the peppers hadn't been in the way I believe that would have formed a blanket as well. Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top of habaneros. The second picture is a view you from the side. The third picture is a cleaned up version of the top. In the 4th picture is the debris taking off the top. Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top. Second picture is a view from the side third picture is cleaned up version of the top. 4th picture is the debris. Okay to process?

Thanks for all your help in the past and looking forward to your response.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE , that's just Hootch like you get off sourdough starter .  booze , perfectly acceptable, stir it in you are good to go....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Larry, as always thank you for your expertise. Why did the " blanket" form and how is it different from the "normal" white stuff?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Larry, as always thank you for your expertise. Why did the " blanket" form and how is it different from the "normal" white stuff?
    Good question, my guess wouod be sugar content maybe a different yeast in the air..  Was there a good air lock ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    No air lock. In the beginning I burped them daily but after a week or so it was weekly. They were a 5 week ferment. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    No air lock. In the beginning I burped them daily but after a week or so it was weekly. They were a 5 week ferment. 
    I know you get more kahm yeast without an airlock , I ferment without them once in a while, mainly when doing mash.  .looks like it cleaned up well, one thing nice to have is a PH meter, no necessary but assuring  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @lkapigian please help. I neglected my peppers and now need some advice. When I open the tops of the jars I smell some alcohol. Also as you will see below I have everything from the normal white stuff on top to a blanket of "stuff" floating on top. Please look and give me some guidance.

The first picture shows the top of the jar. The second picture are the carrots with the blanket on top.  the third picture is the blanket removed. What do you think? Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top the second picture is all the stuff from the top cleaned up. The two green spots are just Peppers nothing bad. And the third picture is the debris that I'm removed from the Top. If the peppers hadn't been in the way I believe that would have formed a blanket as well. Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top of habaneros. The second picture is a view you from the side. The third picture is a cleaned up version of the top. In the 4th picture is the debris taking off the top. Okay to process?

The first picture is a view from the top. Second picture is a view from the side third picture is cleaned up version of the top. 4th picture is the debris. Okay to process?

Thanks for all your help in the past and looking forward to your response.
    Got a better look @ this on my computer @ work, I have had that occur with very low PH , and not so fresh peppers  dang near dissolved the peppers
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I know you get more kahm yeast without an airlock , I ferment without them once in a while, mainly when doing mash.  .looks like it cleaned up well, one thing nice to have is a PH meter, no necessary but assuring  
    Do you check PH on all your cured meats?  What is the safe threshold?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Do you check PH on all your cured meats?  What is the safe threshold?
    @Sheldon_Nigel 5.3 target on salami, then out of fermentation into the materation, the PH will increase slightly after that , but the Aw will be low @ that time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Pepper Mash....No Special Equipment Needed ( maybe a scale )

Just a variety of garden peppers...toss in an onion for sugar

Blend to a mash...add a little water if needed just to help the blend

Just some old jars, Zero out and weigh mash

Add 3% salt to the weight of the mash , stir in well close jar....thats it....youll be rewarded with a great hot sauce in a few weeks ...open lid and stir every day or so

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    My son brought home Tabasco and cayenne peppers. We added carrots, onion, garlic, and jalapeños until the jar was full. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My son brought home Tabasco and cayenne peppers. We added carrots, onion, garlic, and jalapeños until the jar was full. 
    Love the jar! @Sciaggie , if you have not tried yet, save some of your brine and substitute where you would use vinegar , it's a nice change Roasted peppers in oil and vinegar, etc ...just an extra use of the ferment ....and you can use the culture in the brine as a stature culture for other types if ferment....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Those Tabasco and Dragon Cayenne peppers made a delicious but seriously hot sauce. Funny accident though. I always put a green cabbage leaf or two over the ferment just to help keep things submerged. All I had when I did this batch was purple cabbage. And... purple cabbage is pH sensitive so it made a nice purple liquid, lol. When I blended the liquid with the juice from the food mill it made a pleasant color. 
    This stuff is tasty but a little goes a long way. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Bump. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The mountain of Mash you get fro a ferment is one of the best things ...dehydrate into a powder and use it every where ...this will be going in Snack Sticks 

5 litres of Sriacia ...Thick enough to stand a spoon 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian