Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Dehydrated and blended mash

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    not lacto but looks like its worth a go

Homemade Champagne Vinegar

• Servings: 4 cups
    • Time: 5 minutes assembly + long wait time
    • Difficulty: easy
    • Print

20160302_071504

750 ml flat champagne
    1/4 cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
    1 cup water
    widemouth jar or ceramic container
    cheesecloth

• Pour all liquid ingredients into the jar or container.
    • Cover mouth with cheesecloth and secure with a rubberband.
    • Place in a cool location and let sit for 1-3 months
    • Taste after one month to check for doneness.  If it doesn’t taste like good vinegar yet, let it sit for another two weeks and repeat.
    • Pour into bottles through a filter, if desired, to strain out the mother or use a turkey baster to remove the vinegar without disturbing the mother, keeping it for another use.
    • Store bottles at room temperature.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That's cool

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    so the mock champagne vinegar begins

fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    Must confess I've been avoiding this thread for the longest time, for fear of falling into another rabbit hole. Kind of forced to jump right to the end because I have a situation that needs advice...

Recently started playing with dry 2% salt only vac sealed veg. Tried cabbage, celery, cucumber, mustard green, after 7-10 days the vac bags swelled moderately and quite happy with the end results.

Here's my dilemma
    ... my latest batch is heirloom carrots, it has been only 4 days and the bag has swollen tight like an overinflated balloon...

Ride it out few more days, or pop and reseal?
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    Must confess I've been avoiding this thread for the longest time, for fear of falling into another rabbit hole. Kind of forced to jump right to the end because I have a situation that needs advice...

Recently started playing with dry 2% salt only vac sealed veg. Tried cabbage, celery, cucumber, mustard green, after 7-10 days the vac bags swelled moderately and quite happy with the end results.

Here's my dilemma
    ... my latest batch is heirloom carrots, it has been only 4 days and the bag has swollen tight like an overinflated balloon...

Lots of sugar in carrots so the bacterial active, you could ride it out, deflate and reseal, pit in in a container or lower the temp. ( fridge ) it will still ferment just slower ...ive never used bags but seen it done ....those all look great 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @Canugghead One of the products of lactic acid frementation is CO2 gas. This is why most fermentation vessels use some sort of air lock mechanism. We want to allow CO2 to escape without allowing O2 to enter the ferment (Keeping it anaerobic).
    I've never used bags either. My guess is to ride it out (and hope the bags don't pop) or order some airlocks that fit on Mason jars from Amazon and transfer the ferment. Either way, what the ferment is doing is completely normal - it's producing CO2 gas as the lactobaccilus does it's thing.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman

Here's my dilemma

i think pop and reseal. interested in how the cabbage works out, for somereason ive had problems with sauerkraut and i dont know why
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    edited April 2021
    Did some half sour pickles with Calabrian peppers 4% brine, didn't trim the bud end and plenty crunchy...i don't always use air locks, I'll do mash in old jars just release it daily ...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    @lkapigian @SciAggie @fishlessman thanks for chiming in, I popped and taped the pin hole after releasing some pressure, will wait few more days.

May eventually dive in with both feet, just starting this the easy way since bags are plentiful and the chamber sealer does an excellent job of expelling air.

To clarify, I've already harvested the experiments in first pic. The second pic is cabbage transferred to jar, crunchy without the overly salty and acidic taste of commercial sour kraut, will use it as cole slaw substitute on pp sandwich. The preserved mustard green is great with pork belly/ribs and rice wine in Chinese cooking.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Haven’t dropped anything in this thread for quite a while, so here goes...
    brussels sprouts kimchi, ala Bon Appetit’s Brad Leone. @SciAggie, I promise you that I busted out the scale to measure the 1.5% salt, but it seemed meager, so I doubled it :). I did not measure the garlic! There’s daikon and pear in the mix too. My first crack at a dry brine. 

I’m not too happy about the empty space in the jar, but let’s see what happens. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    @caliking 3% sounds the perfect amount. I completely support your attitude regarding garlic. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Nice @caliking ! 1.5 is on the bottom end of the salt % for sure I go 2-3 , pickles a bit higher 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    @lkapigian @sciaggie that makes me feel a bit better about this. I've never done a dry brine before, so maybe I was being a tad skittish. 

• Canugghead
    edited May 2021
    caliking said:
    Haven’t dropped anything in this thread for quite a while, so here goes...
    brussels sprouts kimchi, ala Bon Appetit’s Brad Leone. @SciAggie, I promise you that I busted out the scale to measure the 1.5% salt, but it seemed meager, so I doubled it :). I did not measure the garlic! There’s daikon and pear in the mix too. My first crack at a dry brine. 

I’m not too happy about the empty space in the jar, but let’s see what happens. 
    Looks good, can't wait to hear the result. I've just started to get my feet wet in lacto fermenting, so far it's dry only, 2% salt, in vac bags so no empty space issue. I do get occasional balloon problem though!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Ya know, now that I think about it, the vac bag option may have been better. Let’s see how this turns out. There’s always next time 😁

• lkapigian
    Currently have 12 liters fermenting ...5 jalapeno 5 fresnos and these beauties Serrano ( no more crocks so letting them ride in this ) 3% salt, just mash

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Fresno's and Jalapeños ...3 week 2.5% mash 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    @lkapigian Those look great. The colors are wonderful. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Pepper Mash Salt....Fresno and Jalapeno/ Serrano Blend 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    lkapigian said:
    Pepper Mash Salt....Fresno and Jalapeno/ Serrano Blend 

That’s awesome. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    1st batch of Brussels sprouts kimchi turned out great, so set up another batch. More traditional, this time. 

Napa cabbage, daikon, scallions, carrots

Made a paste of ginger, garlic, gochugaru, salt, sugar, fish sauce

I’ll check on it in a few days. 

• SciAggie
    @caliking I need to try that. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking I need to try that. 
    Its a very easy one. The first try was Brad Leone's brussells sprouts kimchi, and received rave reviews from a Korean coworker. Hoping this one will pass muster. 

• lkapigian
    caliking said:
    1st batch of Brussels sprouts kimchi turned out great, so set up another batch. More traditional, this time. 

Napa cabbage, daikon, scallions, carrots

Made a paste of ginger, garlic, gochugaru, salt, sugar, fish sauce

I’ll check on it in a few days. 
    Over the top @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    lkapigian said:
    Over the top @caliking
    This is kindergarten compared to your league :)

It's already bubbling away nicely. Opened it up to mix it up, and pack it in, and it smells farkin' divine :)

• lkapigian
    Been a few months , starting 3 mashes ..Serrano , Fresno’s and Jalapeño…3% solution, 5 liters each , 1 head of garlic and 2 yellow onions per each 5 liter , will be 3 or 4 weeks 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Set up some haam choy (sour pickled mustard greens), for a cook I have planned.  Will probably let it go for 2 weeks. 

• lkapigian
    First time for this, oozes salt from the crock ? thoughts ? More porous than I thought 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Been a few months , starting 3 mashes ..Serrano , Fresno’s and Jalapeño…3% solution, 5 liters each , 1 head of garlic and 2 yellow onions per each 5 liter , will be 3 or 4 weeks 

3 weeks, bottled and ready to go…this stuff never gets old 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian