Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    Put champagne in a bean pot about 2.5 years plus. Is it vinigar or should I look
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    Put champagne in a bean pot about 2.5 years plus. Is it vinigar or should I look
    Please look and report back lol… I bet it’s vinegar 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:

One of my food channels referenced this book, I looked it up on amazoid and it was going for $25, on sale from $40.  This damn tome is a textbook, 455 pages.  Lots of color photos and so far it reads really well.  Just got it this morning.

My first attempt at salsa went okay.  My first and second attempt at pickled cukes did not, shattered glass/mold.  I made up two more jars this afternoon, we'll see how it goes.  

On a somewhat related note, Grillo's seems to have modified their plastic containers a bit, much easier to open/close; but I still don't like paying $7~8 for a stupid jar of pickles.  Hopefully this book will fix some things for me.  

That is pretty much the normal price. Amazon tells me I bought that in Nov. 2018 for $24 (tax brought it up to $25.44). Good book.

The only Grillos I've had are actually pickled not fermented - didn't know they made/sold any fermented pickles.

If you want to try some fermented pickles I buy a lot of stuff from olivemypickle.com

All their pickles are fermented not pickled and they have some good kraut and olives. Their kimchi is ok. All a little pricey but generally good tasting stuff.

Have fun!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    How does this book compare to Sanford Ellix Katz’s “The Art of Fermentation” ? Great book about fermented foods and drinks around the world, but is sparse on details about how to make some of them. 

@Botch or @HeavyG could you share a pic of the table of contents?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    This is just a capture of the book from Amazon...

Chapter 1 contents page has more detail...

The "look at me" for the book does show the whole index so if you peruse that and want to see a specific recipe(s) let me know and I can post some pix.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    Thanks @HeavyG . I didn't see the "look inside" link on the Amazon listing. 

Seems like an excellent resource for getting nerdy about fermentation. The Katz book is more of a hippy take on the subject, with info on beer, yogurt, fermented batters, etc., but doesn't take the deep dive into the scientific details (or others) as much. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I don’t have a lactation kink but I feel sorry for this thread being in this no man’s land of the forum. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,053
    edited December 2022
    caliking said:
    The Katz book is more of a hippy take on the subject, with info on beer, yogurt, fermented batters, etc., but doesn't take the deep dive into the scientific details (or others) as much. 
    I read about the first 50 pages last night before bed.  Redzepi/Zilber (the authors) describe the known "good" bacterias, molds and enzymes that ferment food, but then stated that microbes that produce beer, breads, wines and cheese all deserve their own books.  They do cover the stuff outlined in the ToC, above.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Botch
    edited December 2022
    So, Amazoid just tried to sell me something, "Based on your purchase of The Noma Guide to Fermentation" :  1 Gallon of 99.9% pure, food-safe Polypropylene Glycol.  
    Any idea what that's used for?  I don't remember it being mentioned in this thread.  :confused:  

• lkapigian
    edited December 2022
    Botch said:
    So, Amazoid just tried to sell me something, "Based on your purchase of The Noma Guide to Fermentation":  1 Gallon of 99.9% pure, food-safe Polypropylene Glycol.  
    Any idea what that's used for?  I don't remember it being mentioned in this thread.  :confused:  
    Propylene Glycol is food grade “ antifreeze “ and is used in chilled water systems in food processing plants, not something you want to ingest even if food grade , we also use it in our fog machines when we test duct systems 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    I made some sous vide pickles yesterday.  My first try at that stuff.  I have made lacto fermentation hot sauces.  Maybe I will try some fermented pickles next.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• caliking
    @Ozzie_Isaac - nice mix of stuff you have there. I haven't tried SV pickling yet, but maybe I should, since I've really liked the lacto-fermented veg I've done in the past. 

• lkapigian
    I made some sous vide pickles yesterday.  My first try at that stuff.  I have made lacto fermentation hot sauces.  Maybe I will try some fermented pickles next.

Tell me more about this 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2022
    lkapigian said:

Tell me more about this 
    This is my first go, and I expect to dial it in.

For this batch I did a mixture of veggies.  Green Beens, cucumbers, asparagus, and brussel sprouts as the main.  Then I used carrots, onions, garlic, and radishes as fill.  Radishes bleached out and made it all pinkish tinged.  I will probably leave those out in the future.

Basic brine for all.  2 cups white vinegar, 2 cups water, 4 oz sugar, 1 oz salt.  That basic amount was enough for 2 pint jars.

Then some I used dill in some and one I used a dried Scorpion pepper.

I put them all in the jars, 1/2" head space, and put lids on finger tight.  Cooked at 140 for 2 hrs 45 min.  The low temp cooking is supposed to make for crispier veggies.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Update to above:

Keep radishes (they are excellent) use white onions instead of red onions.

For my personal taste, only do about half the sugar above.  2oz instead of 4oz.

The pickles with a single Scorpion pepper are amazing.  Enough heat to feel, but not stupid hot.

• Botch
    I thought 140˚was the borderline between the Danger Zone, and killing all bacteria.  So will these ferment, or are they more "canned"?  Are they shelf-stable afterwards, or need to be in the frig?  

• lkapigian
    edited December 2022
    Botch said:
    I thought 140˚was the borderline between the Danger Zone, and killing all bacteria.  So will these ferment, or are they more "canned"?  Are they shelf-stable afterwards, or need to be in the frig?  
    Not fermented and yes kills the lacto bacillus, but the vinegar will keep it shelf stable, this is a form of quick pickling … may give this a go, once in a while I do a quick pickle 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    Real Danger Zone depends on bacteria, but 129 is my personal comfort zone.

Doing this at 2.5hrs essentially pasteurizes the mixture.  Then a very low pH keeps it that way.  Assuming you keep foreign material out.  After I open them, I will refrigerate them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    .Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Update to above:

Keep radishes (they are excellent) use white onions instead of red onions.

For my personal taste, only do about half the sugar above.  2oz instead of 4oz.

The pickles with a single Scorpion pepper are amazing.  Enough heat to feel, but not stupid hot.
    The green beans with scorpion are good. I make those with Mrs wages dill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    Botch said:

Doing this at 2.5hrs essentially pasteurizes the mixture.  Then a very low pH keeps it that way.  Assuming you keep foreign material out.  After I open them, I will refrigerate them.

Sous vide guru Douglas Baldwin recommends a minimum pasteurization temp of 131°F but 129°F is probably close enough... probably. :)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Sous vide guru Douglas Baldwin recommends a minimum pasteurization temp of 131°F but 129°F is probably close enough... probably. :)
    Here is an excerpt from Douglas Baldwin's excellent book "A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking", this explains why 130 deg is a good min safe temp:

(Note the 126.1 deg F is not a safe temp, because Clostridium just stops growing, but is not dying. Also variations in measurement accuracy and such mean you want to give yourself a bit of a margin. That is why they say 130 min. Also of interest Salmonella stops growing around 115 deg F, and E. Coli and Listeria round 113 deg F.)

• Botch
    Damn I'm an idiot.
    Using my "lightly screwed on" technique with pickle jar lids I mentioned above, has given me about a 50% success rate.  So, I bought some glass weights, and a 4-piece set of those "burping" jar lids; both will fit in "wide-mouth" 1-pint mason jars, so I tried to find a place where I could buy just four, and came up empty; finally broke down and bought a case of them (my single fridge isn't that big, so I wouldn't have a dozen fermented jars in there).  
    Bought some more cukes, and green beans tonight, along with dill and some serranos, packed four jars, and discovered neither the glass weights nor the burping tops would fit; I had purchased reg mason jars, not the wide-mouth ones.
    Damn I'm an idiot.

So, I "lightly screwed on" the regular mason jar tops, we'll see how these go.  One thing I did differently is leaving a bit more head-space in the jar.  I thought 1/4" would be enough, but as fermenting began, they were spitting brine onto my countertop, instead of the CO2 just gassing off.  My theory is that some CO2 forms within the pickle, swelling it and the increased volume pushes out the brine.  I'll see how 3/4" headspace works out.  I'll jar up some of the green beans tomorrow, kinda grouchy right now.    

• lkapigian
    Keep us posted @botch , yes the overall c02 “ swells” the overall volume, you may want to try , at some point, doing pickle spears … much more forgiving and lend themselves to a quick “ half sour” pickle… 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    Botch said:
    Damn I'm an idiot.
    Using my "lightly screwed on" technique with pickle jar lids I mentioned above, has given me about a 50% success rate.  So, I bought some glass weights, and a 4-piece set of those "burping" jar lids; both will fit in "wide-mouth" 1-pint mason jars, so I tried to find a place where I could buy just four, and came up empty; finally broke down and bought a case of them (my single fridge isn't that big, so I wouldn't have a dozen fermented jars in there).  
    Bought some more cukes, and green beans tonight, along with dill and some serranos, packed four jars, and discovered neither the glass weights nor the burping tops would fit; I had purchased reg mason jars, not the wide-mouth ones.
    Damn I'm an idiot.

So, I "lightly screwed on" the regular mason jar tops, we'll see how these go.  One thing I did differently is leaving a bit more head-space in the jar.  I thought 1/4" would be enough, but as fermenting began, they were spitting brine onto my countertop, instead of the CO2 just gassing off.  My theory is that some CO2 forms within the pickle, swelling it and the increased volume pushes out the brine.  I'll see how 3/4" headspace works out.  I'll jar up some of the green beans tomorrow, kinda grouchy right now.    

"My theory is that some CO2 forms within the pickle, swelling it and the increased volume pushes out the brine."

Do you not poke your pickles (so to speak)?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2023
    Lactobacillus don’t produce any gas, but I’m sure there are some yeast in there that do.  Although there isn’t much in the way of sugar for them to chow down on.
    Lactobacillus don’t produce any gas, but I’m sure there are some yeast in there that do.  Although there isn’t much in the way of sugar for them to chow down on.
    It’s the product that’s off gassing correct? The lactobacillus produces lactic acid through the metabolism of carbohydrates, I think… I just use salt water and make hot sauce LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I dunno what it is.  Is there a lot of gas?  My best guess would still be yeast.  There are many natural strains of yeast that are extremely salt and acid tolerant.  But yeast doesn’t consume complex carbohydrates, they must be converted to sugars first, just like malting grain to convert starch to sugar to make beer.
    I dunno what it is.  Is there a lot of gas?  My best guess would still be yeast.  There are many natural strains of yeast that are extremely salt and acid tolerant.  But yeast doesn’t consume complex carbohydrates, they must be converted to sugars first, just like malting grain to convert starch to sugar to make beer.
    My lactoferments get very fizzy and bubbly.  That's how I know they are doing good.  Eventually they stop.  I also put my jars in aluminum half pans or a bowl.

Currently I my ferments are in my office.  Gives a very noticeable when out gassing.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    @Ikapigian one of my cherry tomato ferments has some crystals developing through my air lock.  This is a recent development.  Any idea what it is?  It actually smells amazing, like a well progressing ferment, but haven't seen crystals before?