Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    something different, small farm up the street is selling kefer from raw milk, might have to stop buy and give it a try. its in maine, by the honor system ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Dim Sum (Bao) dough recipe.  Wanted to post this here so I could find it in the future. 
    https://youtu.be/sAFpi2satz8

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lkapigian
    Options
    Botch said:
    Dim Sum (Bao) dough recipe.  Wanted to post this here so I could find it in the future. 
    https://youtu.be/sAFpi2satz8
    Thanks @botch
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I have some peppers fermenting, after week 1 one of the batches has a bit of oil on the top. You can see the rainbow effect at the right angle, and a couple small droplets floating around on top.I haven't seen this before, any ideas on where that could have come from and if its a problem?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    poster said:
    I have some peppers fermenting, after week 1 one of the batches has a bit of oil on the top. You can see the rainbow effect at the right angle, and a couple small droplets floating around on top.I haven't seen this before, any ideas on where that could have come from and if its a problem?
    That is odd, if it is in fact oil, I would just skim it off and see if it reappears 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    That is odd, if it is in fact oil, I would just skim it off and see if it reappears 
    Think i figured it out. I ran out of jar weights so i used the one of my meat grinder plates as its stainless. I likely put it away slightly oiled. That got me thinking, would a layer of oil on top of a ferment protect the contents from oxygen, like an air lock lid?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    poster said:
    lkapigian said:
    poster said:
    Think i figured it out. I ran out of jar weights so i used the one of my meat grinder plates as its stainless. I likely put it away slightly oiled. That got me thinking, would a layer of oil on top of a ferment protect the contents from oxygen, like an air lock lid?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fermentation/comments/o5jfq8/sealing_with_oil/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• poster
    Options
    Last of the season pepper run. Had plenty of sauce so decided to dry some as well. Heavy frost has finally taken out the plants.
    Had 2 ferment jars go off on me this year. They smelled kind of like beer and hard alcohol after only 3 weeks of fermenting. They were probably safe, but smelled and tasted weird, so I tossed them. Still have plenty left so it wasn't a huge deal.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Beautiful Colors @poster
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @lkapigian for the life of me I can't find the garlic fermentation post.  I bought a big bag of garlic.  Two questions, 2-3% salt?  Is there anything else worth adding to the batch?

thanks.
  • Botch
    Options
    This video popped up on my Ewetube feed.  It's probably been posted in this thread somewhere but it was new to me, so posting it again.  Eric hired a local farmer to plant all the hottest pepper varieties around in 2019, chopped/sliced/fermented, and then bottled for two years.  He checked its pH, ~3, isn't that worse than battery acid?
    The smell just about knocked him over, and then instead of trying a drop or two he ingested a teaspoon.  The resulting video was hilarious (even sped-up) but not quite as funny as when Sam TCG and sons took the Paqui Chip Challenge.  Enjoy!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZJ8LD8OE0  (and now all of the sudden I can't post ewetubes directly again; damn I get tired of this crap)

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    Options
    Legume said:
    @lkapigian for the life of me I can't find the garlic fermentation post.  I bought a big bag of garlic.  Two questions, 2-3% salt?  Is there anything else worth adding to the batch?

thanks.
    2-3% is perfect, you can add anything you want, garlic and onions get happy , honey garlic ferment is nice as well, no salt just garlic and honey 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:

thanks.
    2-3% is perfect, you can add anything you want, garlic and onions get happy , honey garlic ferment is nice as well, no salt just garlic and honey 
    Excellent, thanks. So what % honey by weight?
  • Legume
    Options
    I'll try a few jars.
  • Botch
    Options
    Legume said:
    Excellent, thanks. So what % honey by weight?
    "Brad" from Bon Appetít just poured honey (raw) over a jar of garlic cloves to cover, didn't measure anything (he never does).  After a couple weeks the honey takes on the viscosity of milk.  
    I bought a bottle of raw honey to try this, but haven't yet done so; damn lazy retirees...

• Legume
    Options
    Ok, so no water at all, just honey and garlic?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Legume said:
    Just Raw Honey 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    Just Raw Honey 
    You left the protip out.  It's taking forever to fill the jar with honey after putting the garlic in.  I'm guessing I should've started with at least some of the honey.
  • poster
    Options
    I noticed something odd with one of my ferments today. It is 3-4 weeks old and I never actually checked this one once. The liquid was down an inch under the peppers? Not sure where it all went, but it smells good, tastes ok and there is zero mold or even kham yeast on top. Should be perfectly fine I assume?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    poster said:
    I noticed something odd with one of my ferments today. It is 3-4 weeks old and I never actually checked this one once. The liquid was down an inch under the peppers? Not sure where it all went, but it smells good, tastes ok and there is zero mold or even kham yeast on top. Should be perfectly fine I assume?
    I would not worry about it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    My god my whole house smells like garlic.  We were away for the weekend and came back to the smell of fermenting garlic burping - not a pleasant smell, kind of a raw, pungent smell. Next time I leave I'm going to turn the exhaust fan on.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Legume said:
    My god my whole house smells like garlic.  We were away for the weekend and came back to the smell of fermenting garlic burping - not a pleasant smell, kind of a raw, pungent smell. Next time I leave I'm going to turn the exhaust fan on.
    Interesting 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Just thought I'd bump this as to not get too buried 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    @The_Buffalo
     can you make this thread great again and move it to the main forum?  This is an amazing thread that deserves more eyeballs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin