Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deploying with OBR

Options

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    theyolksonyou said (about me)
    In the limited amount of time I've spent with him at brisket camp, I can believe that. Good guy. 
    texaswig said:
    Also @20stone is kind of a jerk. That's probably reason why we get along .  that and our common mutual love for Hall & Oates. 
    One of you clearly knows me better. Also, time for the (early) morning shift. What the hell was I thinking
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sun's out! 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Gun's out?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Actually, it's not out yet. Good morning Houston. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    In case we gave the impression that this has been all cooking all day...we have stocked way more coolers, dumped way more grease trap buckets, hauled more boxes, and wiped down way more tables than cooked food.

@20stone hauling ice for drink coolers at 6am. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Also @20stone is kind of a jerk. That's probably reason why we get along .  that and our common mutual love for Hall & Oates. 
    I Can't Go For That
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sunrise over the city

• Foghorn
    Options
    Very nice.  Keep up the good work in Houston brothers.

In San Antonio, I called it quits about 10 PM last night because I have to work today.  However, at that time the plan was to send a shipment at 5 AM that contained 2 loads.

1) First stop will be Rockport to deliver some of our uncooked food (pork loin, veggies, etc) to some BBQ brothers who will be fired up and ready to receive food to cook at 8 AM 

and 

2) a second stop in Port Aransas where they will deliver 500 pounds of chopped brisket with associated sides, etc that have been cooked and refrigerated for them to warm up on site.

Apparently, Port A doesn't even have power, but there are some guys there with big offsets who can warm up the food in time to serve it for lunch.  The ferry to Port A still isn't working so the trip from Rockport to Port A may take up to 2 hours (normally a 15 minute drive plus a short ferry across a channel, now requires driving to a bridge at the far end of the barrier island...)

Our group has been diligent about following the health code, even going so far as to take pictures of a Thermopen in every tray of meat to show a temp over 140 so that if anybody gets sick from any of this, the problem wasn't on our end. 

Yesterday's delivery to Victoria was coordinated and personally delivered by Ernie Zuniga, a San Antonio TV anchor who is from there.  He covered it on Facebook live.  Last evening when he (and his family and friends) returned the coolers he had used to transport the food, we had them join us for dinner.  They told us that many of the people they fed hadn't had a hot meal for days.  
    https://www.facebook.com/erniezuniga/videos/1471995339528527/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'm glad there are some out of staters with OBR. I can imagine the look on a Texans face when someone gives them 500lbs of pork to cook. "I've never seen pork before, what do I do with it? Does it cook like a brisket?"  ;)
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    We're in the periphery of this so we're lightweights by comparison. 
    Pretty tight operation for some comp teams who got together to help out
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker,  it really is.  The organizational skiss is remarkable, but this isn't their first rodeo - literally.  A number of them sit on the board of the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo so they are well-connected and are used to working together.  Having the backing of the CEO of Santikos Entertainment is huge as well.  They provided an onsite RV and a lot of the food.  The CEO is an old friend of mine who is my connection to this group.  He has supported a fundraiser each of the last two summers where 5 of these teams cooked together for a "Ribs and 'Ritas" event to support a local charity that one of the cookers founded with his wife.  He knew of my interest in BBQ and got me plugged in with these guys.  He came out twice yesterday to see how things were going and the evening ended with us sitting around smoking cigars together.  It was a good day.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    I'm glad there are some out of staters with OBR. I can imagine the look on a Texans face when someone gives them 500lbs of pork to cook. "I've never seen pork before, what do I do with it? Does it cook like a brisket?"  ;)
    @DoubleEgger, that's what we did.  We just cooked them like a brisket we were planning to chop.   :)

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    And I got text confirmation that my daughter has found 20stone in Houston and is helping with OBR as well.   What was I thinking when I directed her to find @20stone, @caliking, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, and help them out?

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    And I got text confirmation that my daughter has found 20stone in Houston and is helping with OBR as well.   What was I thinking when I directed her to find @20stone, @caliking, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, and help them out?
    ...and she is already on the job. How did a guy like you end up with TWO great kids?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    ...and she is already on the job. How did a guy like you end up with TWO great kids?
    They're smart enough to learn from from my many negative examples. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Since OBR is based in the Midwest, there has actually been a conspicuous absence of beef at the Houston deployment. But there is waaaay more than 500lbs of meat going through the cookers here. And plenty more on the way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options

That's the 40K lbs of chicken from Delaware. They are ready to send another trailer just like it, if needed. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thank you so much for all you and your Pops have done @caliking. It's truly impressive. I'm worn out after cooking at Butt Blast, I couldn't imagine how worn out everyone is after putting out that amount of grub. Man handling 1000s of pounds of meat is no easy task. And the trucks don't stop coming.... 

• caliking
    Options
    In case we gave the impression that this has been all cooking all day...we have stocked way more coolers, dumped way more grease trap buckets, hauled more boxes, and wiped down way more tables than cooked food.

@20stone hauling ice for drink coolers at 6am. 
    You haven't lived until you've cleaned out the meat coolers. Breathed in a heady mix of cleaner fumes for a couple of hrs, and had some appreciation for what it feels like to be a middle schooler.

Some of the degreaser sprayed on to my glasses and melted whatever coating was on the lenses, so I guess it was doing a good job on tackling the grease. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thank you so much for all you and your Pops have done @caliking. It's truly impressive. I'm worn out after cooking at Butt Blast, I couldn't imagine how worn out everyone is after putting out that amount of grub. Man handling 1000s of pounds of meat is no easy task. And the trucks don't stop coming.... 

My 81yo Pops is a machine. He's been all over the place at OBR, barely sitting down for a minute. Much as I roll my eyes at him for many of the things he says and does (or wants to do), he still inspires me to be a better person. So I try to not roll my eyes that much :)
    Pops is a beast! 
  • 20stone
    Options
    caliking said:
    Since OBR is based in the Midwest, there has actually been a conspicuous absence of beef at the Houston deployment. But there is waaaay more than 500lbs of meat going through the cookers here. And plenty more on the way. 
    The eschew beef because of cost and the relative difficulty of getting it cooked right and being good after holding. 

However, they do cook whatever gets donated (in quantity). Smaller stuff ends up feeding the volunteers after being cooked on volunteer pits, and all the chicken is being done be competition cooks on their rigs for the higher precision and separation of chicken cooties from other stuff. 

We just sliced, sauced and stacked 36 restaurant pans worth of pork ribs, loaded them on a truck, and out they go. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Foghorn

She was here 5 minutes and already in the mix cranking out the pulled pork for lunch today. 

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Very nice.  Keep up the good work in Houston brothers.

In San Antonio, I called it quits about 10 PM last night because I have to work today.  However, at that time the plan was to send a shipment at 5 AM that contained 2 loads.

1) First stop will be Rockport to deliver some of our uncooked food (pork loin, veggies, etc) to some BBQ brothers who will be fired up and ready to receive food to cook at 8 AM 

and 

2) a second stop in Port Aransas where they will deliver 500 pounds of chopped brisket with associated sides, etc that have been cooked and refrigerated for them to warm up on site.

Apparently, Port A doesn't even have power, but there are some guys there with big offsets who can warm up the food in time to serve it for lunch.  The ferry to Port A still isn't working so the trip from Rockport to Port A may take up to 2 hours (normally a 15 minute drive plus a short ferry across a channel, now requires driving to a bridge at the far end of the barrier island...)

Our group has been diligent about following the health code, even going so far as to take pictures of a Thermopen in every tray of meat to show a temp over 140 so that if anybody gets sick from any of this, the problem wasn't on our end. 

Yesterday's delivery to Victoria was coordinated and personally delivered by Ernie Zuniga, a San Antonio TV anchor who is from there.  He covered it on Facebook live.  Last evening when he (and his family and friends) returned the coolers he had used to transport the food, we had them join us for dinner.  They told us that many of the people they fed hadn't had a hot meal for days.  
    https://www.facebook.com/erniezuniga/videos/1471995339528527/

That is awesome. It's great to see the hard work making a difference. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have made my donations and would be there if I could.  Thanks to all who are there, you are having an impact on people's lives.  Nothing more noble than serving those in need.  God bless you all.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    In addition to all the personal efforts mentioned in this thread (and those are the greatest asset to the recovery) I know your documentation has provided great impetus to dig a little deeper and help OBR again.  Thank you for the dedication and the behind the scenes insights.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great summary and some ass kicking work y'all are doing!   When do scalpel meet flesh, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Good luck!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread and allowing me to pile on with the rogue barbecue relief report from San Antonio.  Thank you also for the kind words about my offspring.  I won the lottery there.

Just as importantly, thanks for looking out for my daughter today and helping her get engaged with the program.

San Antonio, TX