Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deploying with OBR

Comments

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    edited September 2017
    I am one devastated egghead right about now. I ruptured my bicep tendon loading the egg into my truck. it twisted while we were lifting and the corner of the hinge jammed into my bicep with it fully loaded up with the pressure of supporting the egg. made a horrible popping sound and now my bicep is all balled up by my shoulder. just got back from the emergency room. Orthopedic consult in the morning. I am so bummed out-I just want to go to bed, Sh!t. 

It does not hurt as bad as it looks but I'm done. Surgery likely, down for weeks
    I haven't read the entire thread yet but just wanted to jump in to say how great it was that you and your wife were volunteering and organizing, and how terribly sorry I am that you got hurt - when you were trying to help people. Beyond unfair. (I know no one ever promised us life was fair, but still.)

P.S. I will not look at the photos and thinking about them makes me put my head down on the table. {breathe}
    Beth
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    thetrim said:
    Good luck today everyone, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker given your broken wing, maybe you can join the Free Hugs team.    
    Did someone say "broken wing"?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhN1t_7PEY

Cen-Tex, my buddy just had his surgery for this same problem this morning.  5 months of rehab.  But don't think it's bad at all.  Unless you git Nurse Ratchet (or Bridget).
    Dude, where the hell are y'all?? Can't seem to raise @20stone on the telephonic device either. 

Pops and I will be there tomorrow morning. Probably 8ish.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That's so awesome @The Cen-Tex Smoker I know you're whipped. Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience with us. God Bless You 
  • caliking said:
    Dude, where the hell are y'all?? Can't seem to raise @20stone on the telephonic device either. 

Pops and I will be there tomorrow morning. Probably 8ish.
    Sorry! See you at 8am. Beers for lunch after morning shift. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I appreciate your volunteer efforts, especially with that broken wing ;)

Thinking about it, loin is a good choice.  In bulk they're probably getting it for about a buck a pound, cooks quickly with very little weight loss. 

Loins are a little boring to me, but I'm tellin' ya, it's like camp food, best thing on the planet if you're a week into eating MREs.  And I'm certain the stuff you guys are churning out is top quality. The butts will be a great treat for everyone.
    @Foghorn, I'm curious about your SA group. OBR is also set up in Victoria (at a much smaller scale than Houston). 

It looks like you guys are also pushing some real tonnage. BGEs are great for a lot of things, but it's hard to feed a convention center full of folks 2 butts at a time. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @20stone, yeah some of the logistics are not clear to me.  The number of meals we need to provide has fluctuated from 300 to 2000 for each meal. 

This is a collection of competition BBQ teams who came together with some support from Santikos Theaters and Kiolbass Smoked Meats. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Foghorn said:
    @20stone, yeah some of the logistics are not clear to me.  The number of meals we need to provide has fluctuated from 300 to 2000 for each meal. 

This is a collection of competition BBQ teams who came together with some support from Santikos Theaters and Kiolbass Smoked Meats. 
    Very cool thay they were able to get organized quickly to provide meals for people on that scale. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I bow my head in honor of your efforts!  You guys ROCK!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Great work guys!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Outstanding work brothers, thank you. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2017
    I appreciate your volunteer efforts, especially with that broken wing ;)

Thinking about it, loin is a good choice.  In bulk they're probably getting it for about a buck a pound, cooks quickly with very little weight loss. 

Loins are a little boring to me, but I'm tellin' ya, it's like camp food, best thing on the planet if you're a week into eating MREs.  And I'm certain the stuff you guys are churning out is top quality. The butts will be a great treat for everyone.
    Exactly right. Loins are cheap, easy to cook and high yield. This is not type of bbq that you would do for friends but it's good serviceable food. I would say it's made with love but not a lot of soul :). Had a few nibbles. Ive had way worse at
    many bbq restaurants. 

Off to take the morning shift to pull and pack those 500 butts you saw last night. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    There are a dozen competition teams here, each with a different kind of pit. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    edited September 2017
    Amazing. Thank you (plural) for your hard - and heart - work. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Foghorn said:

That is actually how OBR got started, and then they got Jonzed, and now have 8 Old Hickory smokers that hold around 100 pork butts apiece. My kind of guys
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • I lover seeing  the forum represent! 
  • Just sent another $50 in to OBR.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Sent a few pennies this morning.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thanks guys. They are hustling for it, I promise you that. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You can see in that pic of @20stone slicing up a loin, that he starts out with Jonz size slices, then gets down to mere mortal sized portions.