Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deploying with OBR

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Feel bad for you sir. We donated. 
    You are a great ambassador for the cause. Proud of your passion brother.
    Thank you so much Ron. Im really disappointed. Was really hoping to do SOMETHING to help our friends down south. Still hoping to salvage something out of it. I go back and forth between hopeful and frankly a little depressed about the whole thing. It's still only a few hours old
    so I guess that's to be expected. Hoping for good news from the ortho tomorrow. Brent has my hopes up and the ER doc said the same thing. It's odd when "you will look like a freak but it will probably heal with just a little
    loss of strength" is a good diagnosis. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Thank you so much Ron. Im really disappointed. Was really hoping to do SOMETHING to help our friends down south. Still hoping to salvage something out of it. I go back and forth between hopeful and frankly a little depressed about the whole thing. It's still only a few hours old
    so I guess that's to be expected. Hoping for good news from the ortho tomorrow. Brent has my hopes up and the ER doc said the same thing. It's odd when "you will look like a freak but it will probably heal with just a little
    I've looked like a freak for quite awhile. It's really not that bad once you get used to the frightened children.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    John... @DMW will give you a hand. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    There are lots of things you can do with just one hand...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

If @bgebrent tells you that you will be fine, count on it. He is an excellent physician and a good man. I trust his insight and I respect his guidance 100%.
    Keep your chin up my friend. You are a valuable part of this effort, just be careful and take it slow.
    You will be fine.
    And thank you for your service.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    henapple said:
    Speak for yourself. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And looking like a freak would be an improvement.

Just trying to make ya feel better...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Forgot to mention that they just need bodies with a pulse. So not taking any gear with me. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. Im going to ortho with my bags packed. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "Two hands clap and there is a sound.  What is the sound of one hand?" -  Hakuin Ekaku

"Hell, it only really takes one hand to (*burp*) spank the monkey.  Helps if you're not too drunk. Don't ask me how I know that".   Someone here, probably.

Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury CenTex.  Thanks for your efforts to help out the folks in need there.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    henapple said:
    Speak for yourself. 
    It's just unfortunate that "the stranger" won't be so strange anymore.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    First up-my sincere appreciation to you and TFJ for volunteering and making the commitment to OBR.  I am confident that you were "all-in" with your planned efforts to assist.
    Now for the injury; Da-n as it would truly suck any time but in the run-up to your volunteer service in such a time of need, hard to find worse timing.  I'm hoping @bgebrent 's long range assessment is correct.  You will know soon enough.
    Regardless, a great self-less gesture.  You will be rewarded.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Remember to carry a trailer load of fuel with you or you might not get out. The Houston area refineries probably supplied 90% of Texas gasoline.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Remember to carry a trailer load of fuel with you or you might not get out. The Houston area refineries probably supplied 90% of Texas gasoline.

Good call. I have 20 gallons extra and will fill up before getting in to Houston proper 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Good call. I have 20 gallons extra and will fill up before getting in to Houston proper 
    Fwiw, I've been hearing reports of shortages much further out than that.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Quick update- swelling down by half, arm less grotesque this morning. Still sore but manageable. Not even taking any meds (although a stiff dose of Nyquil was a godsend last night).

Ortho appointment 10:30 am tomorrow with bags packed. Should be in Houston 2-3pm, God willing and the creeks don't rise (Literally on the creeks rising part). Not taking any gear other than gas cans and flat kit/compressor. They can put us to work doing whatever I'm able to do. Ashish is there today with his dad taking our spot.

Onward and Upward

Tex

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Cen Tex,

I am so sorry this happened.  I was really looking forward to your updates.  Hopefully you get the green light to go help!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options

My experience in Katrina was that diesel fuel was easier to find than gasoline. I didn't have to worry because I worked for the state DOT and practically lived in my truck for months but I remember that. That lead me to buying a VW diesel later which is a whole other story. But it is something to consider when selecting tow vehicles for the operation.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:

Fwiw, I've been hearing reports of shortages much further out than that.

me too. heb bee cave is out of gas this morning :/ (that is in my neighborhood180 miles from Houston)
  • caliking
    Options
    Got here about 8am. I love the smell of BBQ in the morning.

Costco had gas and plenty of everything yesterday.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got here about 8am. I love the smell of BBQ in the morning.

Costco had gas and plenty of everything yesterday.

Ya gotta love private shopping clubs...
    Options
    Can't post pics from my phone for some reason.

These guys are a well oiled machine. 15K meals yesterday. Possibly more today. cars and trucks pulling up, loading  , then driving back to their communities with food.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

These guys are a well oiled machine. 15K meals yesterday. Possibly more today. cars and trucks pulling up, loading  , then driving back to their communities with food.

awesome. Cant wait to get there
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Really hoping that you recover soon. What a bummer. Sending prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Really hoping that you recover soon. What a bummer. Sending prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    caliking said:

Thanks for the update and helping them out caliking! 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @caliking I hope they put you in charge of seasoning!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX