Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    DMW said:
    bump because of the special-ness of the day
    Forgive my ignorance, what is special about today?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thanks for the reminder. I was hoping to boil a brisket this weekend
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I just happen to be trying this out now on the Jr. I'll post a pic later when it's done.
    Gittin' there...
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,060
    Did I just wake up in 1981
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Heyyyyyy ohhhhhhhh!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Isn't 205 too done?  From what I have read,  190 is the point you should be checking to pull it. ..my last brisket got to 200-205 and it was dry.  Was it technique or overdone?  Just curious
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I'm laughing uncontrollably!  Time to boil a brisket!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    bump because of the special-ness of the day
    Forgive my ignorance, what is special about today?
    @SGH - I'll give you a hint, if it weren't for today, this thread wouldn't exist.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    @SGH - I'll give you a hint, if it weren't for today, this thread wouldn't exist.
    With that said, Happy Birthday brother Strick. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Happy belated birthday Brother Strick.
  • SGH
    @travisstrick
    A little over a year ago you sent me a tuna dip recipe (thanks again my friend). Myself and a friend that owns a small seafood restaurant here (a Seafood God) have been playing around with it and tweaking it a little. The end result is simply spectacular. I would put it up against any that I have ever ate. It is simply phenomenal brother Strick. 
    Here is some of our latest smoked over a 50/50 split of alder and southern Cherry with a finish sprinkle of sage. For sharing the original recipe, I will gladly share our modified version if you would like to try it. 

Status- Standing by.

• If love to have it. I'm glad you have had success working with it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bgebrent
    @SGH, any chance of posting you and your friends recipe modification?  Looks great!
  • SGH
    bgebrent said:
    @SGH, any chance of posting you and your friends recipe modification? 
    Yes sir. Give me just a little while. I will be home and will post it here on brother stricks thread.  

Status- Standing by.

• What in the world has this got to do with flippen boiled brisket ???
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,161
    What in the world has this got to do with flippen boiled brisket ???
    Nothing, but when has that every stopped us?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • bgebrent
    Thanks @SGH kindly!  So many a boiled brisket, so many
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    SGH said:
    @travisstrick
    A little over a year ago you sent me a tuna dip recipe (thanks again my friend). Myself and a friend that owns a small seafood restaurant here (a Seafood God) have been playing around with it and tweaking it a little. The end result is simply spectacular. I would put it up against any that I have ever ate. It is simply phenomenal brother Strick. 
    Here is some of our latest smoked over a 50/50 split of alder and southern Cherry with a finish sprinkle of sage. For sharing the original recipe, I will gladly share our modified version if you would like to try it. 

What restaurant?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    What restaurant?
    The Pelican Reef in Bayou Labtre.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited December 2015
    @bgebrent @travisstrick
    Here is the modified tuna dip. Credit goes to brother Strick for giving me the original recipe quite sometime back. As with most things, I played around and experimented with it and made some adjustments. Why? It's just what I like to do. I think that y'all will like this one. It's pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 
    Before I get to far ahead, I'm usually the very first to say to pull tuna in the 110-115 arena. However for the dip, take the tuna to 135-140 degrees internal. The end product will shred much better and be far more consistent in texture when cooked to the higher temp. Don't worry, it will not be dry. You are going to add enough crap to it that it will be very moist. Yellowfin tuna is traditional, but Mahi Mahi works equally well. Both yield a excellent dip. 

Ingriedants:
    1 pound of Yellowfin or MM.
    16 ounces of cream cheese.
    1 stick of melted butter. (Real butter)
    2 fist size chunks of Alder wood & 2 fist size chunks of cherry. 
    2 lemons.
    2 tablespoons of parsley. 
    1-2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce depending on your taste. 
    Sage.
    Salt, pepper and cayenne. Or use Tony Chacheries.

Indirect cook:
    Settle your BGE/smoker in at 200-215 degrees. The low temp is key to getting sufficient smoke as tuna cooks very fast. If you can maintain it, 200 degrees cooking temp is darn near perfect. Add the Alder and Cherry and let the smoke mellow. Maintain 200-215 degrees for the duration. When the smoke is good, add the fish. Baste and turn the fish every 5 minutes with the melted butter until it hits 135-140 internal. 
    Shred the fish as fine as you can in a large bowl. I use a fork. If you took it to 140 degrees it will shred with very little effort. 
    Mix in the cream cheese, juice of 2 lemons, 2 tablespoons of parsley, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire and 1 tablespoon of Tony Chacheries. If you don't have Tony's, use 1/3 table spoon of salt, 1/3 tablespoon of pepper and 1/3 table spoon of cayenne. Mix all of this very, very well until it is about the consistency of the tuna dip in the pic above that I posted earlier. The Sage will come at the end. 
    Once mixed well, cover the bowl with Saran Wrap and sit it in the fridge for at least 4 hours to mellow and meld together. At the end of the 4 hours, lightly sprinkle the top with Sage and mix again. At this point, sit down and eat the whole thing like a true heavyweight. No need to nibble my friends. 

Just to recap. We all have different tastes, but I find that the Alder and Cherry yields superior results for the dip. Even over my two personal favorites of Oak and Pecan. Be sure to take the fish to 140 degrees for good texture and consistency, not my usual recommended 110 degrees. As best you can, try to maintain 200-215 degrees for the duration so the fish can take on a good smoke profile. Be sure to let the dip chill and mellow in the fridge for at least 4 hours. It's actually better if you let it sit for 24 hours, but 4 hours works pretty darn good. Last but certainly not least, eat the whole bowl =)
    This dip has been a slam dunk to everyone that has tried it. I hope that any of you that trys it enjoys it as much as we do. Thanks again to brother Strick for the original recipe. If you have any questions, I will do my very best to answer them. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Now we can all get back to boiling brisket ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Thank you for the detail @SGH.  This sounds really good.  Will try it soon.
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    What restaurant?
    That should say Bayou Labatre. 

bgebrent said:
    Thank you for the detail @SGH.  This sounds really good.  Will try it soon.
    My pleasure brother. The dip is honestly fantastic. Hope that you enjoy it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Next up:  crawfish boiled brisket.  Turkeys are so yesterday.
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    What restaurant?
    Am I the only one who thinks of Forrest Gump every time I hear Bayou Labatre?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,015
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    What restaurant?
    Am I the only one who thinks of Forrest Gump every time I hear Bayou Labatre?

Nope.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SMOKED TUNA DIP

Two 1 to 1.5 pound tuna steaks

Sour Cream  

Mayonnaise

Sriracha Sauce

Tabasco Smoke Hot Sauce

Laury's garlic salt

Minced onion           

Green onions (scallions)

Apple Juice / Water

Cherry Wood Chunks or Chips

Use Ahi or Yellowfin Tuna Steaks (same fish, different name, blood red in color)

Sprinkle both sides with a little bit of salt (kosher)

If using a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM):

-  One large Weber chimney of coals

-  4-5 fist size chunks of cherry wood (do not soak)

-  Smoke 250 degrees for approx 1.5 hours

If using a gas smoker:

-  2-3 handfuls of cherry wood chips (soaked for 1-2 hrs)

-  Mix apple juice & water fill 3/4 in water pan

-  Smoke at about 250 degrees for approx 1.5 hours

Do not flip tuna.

Remove from smoker when it looks like moisture is almost gone from the top of tuna (moisture should still be visible).

Set one tuna steak to the side (in case you need to add more tuna if following mixture is too much). 

Break tuna up with a fork in a bowl.  Add two dollops of sour crème and mayonnaise (equal parts each) and mix well.  Not too much – you don’t want it runny.  Texture should be thick.  Then add the following:

Sriracha Sauce - three good turns over tuna while squirting  

Tabasco Smoke Hot Sauce

Laury's garlic salt

Minced onion           

Green onions (scallions)

(Amounts vary to taste)

Once satisfied, repeat with other Tuna Steak.  Makes an excellent dip/spread.  I like to use corn chip scoops.  Use a butter knife to spread on chip and ENJOY!

P.S. I added a bit more Sriracha and Tabasco for the heat.  The sauces will give it a nice dark orange light red color.  Tasted best after sitting in refrigerator overnight – added more Sriracha and Tabasco to taste.  I use the KA-ME Sriracha Sauce with the turtle vice rooster on it. 

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• I converted this recipe to my BGE when I got it.  Basically the same way as using the WSM.  Best tuna dip ever eaten.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 578
    I have been using this method for single briskets and they were great. Today I am doing two in a stack set of grates, One about 10# in the liquid and pan and one about 5# without pan on the grate above. I plan to cover the pan with foil at about 160 . I plan to put the smaller one on later and foil also at 160 and try to time the finish together. Will let you know how the top one does.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston