Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deploying with OBR

Options
Janell and I are deploying tonight or early tomorrow am to Spring TX to work with OBR through Tuesday. We will be serving 15,000 meals a day to first responders or anyone who needs a meal. If anyone is looking to support the efforts of OBR, I know they would greatly appreciate it. 

https://operationbbqrelief.org/apis/volunteer/donation

We will post tons of pics and stories here so stay tuned. Very honored to be able to offer some small but tangible support to this effort.  We are loading both eggs and the Blackstone to cook for the volunteers. They have huge pit trailers to cook for the masses but we will set up a camp cook station for us with BGE's and Blackstone.

Anyone wants to volunteer can go to: https://operationbbqrelief.org/apis/volunteer/home/registration. Let us know what days you are available on the site and text me once you are set up. I'll let the team on the ground know you want to deploy. They have places to stay that are free for volunteers and there are plenty of "good eggs" down in Houston that I'm sure could provide a couch and a cold drink at night

The adventure begins...

John- 512-565-0109

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding.  Thank you, good luck and be safe brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Good on you and Janell!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Awesome. There is far more that unites us than divides us. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thank you for doing this!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I know a guy who has some lump for the egg if you need it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

We probably will. The more bulky stuff I can collect down there, the more I can haul with me in the truck. We may need another egg or 2 as well
  • caliking
    Options
    I know a guy who has some eggs too. Even a Blackstone. And a pop-up if you need it. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I know a guy who has some eggs too. Even a Blackstone. And a pop-up if you need it. 

If you are able to get out, we will probably need all of it. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

We probably will. The more bulky stuff I can collect down there, the more I can haul with me in the truck. We may need another egg or 2 as well
    Earlier today, it looked like restaurants that were feeding first responders were running short of to go boxes (aluminum rounds, I think) and hotel pans.

If you have a favorite restaurant supply spot, I might send you a wish list and connect you with some folks (whose food you have eaten) to connect.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You go, girl!

Seriously, any food tastes delicious when you're camping or doing emergency relief.  So consider how good the Q served from a bunch of BBQ nerds will be - heads will explode.
    Options
    Man I wish I could go. I am just under the gun at work so I am unable to donate anything but resources. We brought a lot of items to a local collection that is heading out today. God bless you for taking the time to help.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Thank you!!! They all deserve to eat good
    O-Town, FL

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I have a friend in NOLA that runs a bakery if you need bread stock.  Haydel's - ask for Ryan.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• caliking
    Options
    Come to think of it, I have more cooking gadgets than at least my entire subdivision put together. I'll start making a pile of stuff. not sure yet whether we will be helping out closer here, or if we will be able to connect with you at OBR. I'll keep you posted.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Come to think of it, I have more cooking gadgets than at least my entire subdivision put together. I'll start making a pile of stuff. not sure yet whether we will be helping out closer here, or if we will be able to connect with you at OBR. I'll keep you posted.

Just a reminder-Anyone that wants to help OBR must register first. Looks we are setting up downtown too. I'll keep everyone posted

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You rock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man I wish I could go. I am just under the gun at work so I am unable to donate anything but resources. We brought a lot of items to a local collection that is heading out today. God bless you for taking the time to help.
    Grim....If you were going....I was gonna tag along.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Would love to see the grocery cart roll up! We have raised over $1000 already on my facebook link to OBR and friends and family who have shared it.

Microsoft has agreed to match and the company I work for is going to match that! Very cool.

The response down here has been amazing. I think we all learned from Katrina that it's going to take everyone who can help to pitch in. We also have had a much more robust response from the government. national guard is rolling in hard. 25,000 will be on the ground by end of week. From all over the country. These people have a very long way to go but I'm happy to see the response so far. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thank you. I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated more than you know.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • caliking
    edited August 2017
    Options
    We'll register. May pick the downtown location since j don't know how far North we can get. 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    Donated. 

I wasnt aware of them or even the BGE back when the tornado hit Moore a few years ago. I googled it up and saw that OBR was here and served almost 150k meals. A wonderful charity we can all get behind!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    maso said:
    Donated. 

I wasnt aware of them or even the BGE back when the tornado hit Moore a few years ago. I googled it up and saw that OBR was here and served almost 150k meals. A wonderful charity we can all get behind!

Thank you!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Bump. Donate if you can. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am one devastated egghead right about now. I ruptured my bicep tendon loading the egg into my truck. it twisted while we were lifting and the corner of the hinge jammed into my bicep with it fully loaded up with the pressure of supporting the egg. made a horrible popping sound and now my bicep is all balled up by my shoulder. just got back from the emergency room. Orthopedic consult in the morning. I am so bummed out-I just want to go to bed, Sh!t. 

It does not hurt as bad as it looks but I'm done. Surgery likely, down for weeks
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll send pics of the bicep later. I know you people are sick like that. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear, and I hope you heal quickly. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your service, John and Janell!  

EDIT:  Intended service!  Should have finished reading the thread before posting.  Heal soon!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bgebrent
    Options
    I am one devastated egghead right about now. I ruptured my bicep tendon loading the egg into my truck. it twisted while we were lifting and the corner of the hinge jammed into my bicep with it fully loaded up with the pressure of supporting the egg. made a horrible popping sound and now my bicep is all balled up by my shoulder. just got back from the emergency room. Orthopedic consult in the morning. I am so bummed out-I just want to go to bed, Sh!t. 

It does not hurt as bad as it looks but I'm done. Surgery likely, down for weeks
    I ruptured my biceps tendon a few years ago. Also had rotator cuff thrashed. Anterior head of biceps tendon rupture is essentially a cosmetic deformity. Your arm strength is minimally diminished. Most orrthopods do not recommend repair unless you need rotator cuff tear repair or if cosmetic concerns. I've had the surgery (everything).  Feel free to pm me. Don't let it slow you down brother. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Thank you for your service, John and Janell!  

man down. we are both so bummed out. we had been gathering supplies and packing up all day. had everything done but the cookers then...pop!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I am one devastated egghead right about now. I ruptured my bicep tendon loading the egg into my truck. it twisted while we were lifting and the corner of the hinge jammed into my bicep with it fully loaded up with the pressure of supporting the egg. made a horrible popping sound and now my bicep is all balled up by my shoulder....
    Sounds a lot like bone spurs
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX