Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Korean bbq ribs, for dinner tonight.  You know, the traditional Christmas meal…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    lousubcap said:
    Always a challenge to nail the paella socarrat given when to pull from the BGE, factor in the 25 minute drive and then the 90 minute hold upon arrival.  But not too bad this evening- (Edit-double wrapped in HDAF and a towel-no oven reheat.)
    On the LBGE (15.5 inch pan recommended by @Little Steven around a decade ago-brings back memories every time) with bomba rice, saffron, some Christmas coloured (nod) veggies, shrimp, sausage, chix and lots of garlic.  Getting ready to declare victory-
    Turned out well given the protracted hold: (And did get the socarrat w/o a burn)
    The dark pieces are sausage. 5 adults crushed it.
    Merry Christmas 🎄!

You nailed it as usual. I fumbled with paella couple of times over a decade ago, may have to resume chasing the holy grail one day  
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,486
    @Campbell2N - sorry to hear about the Covid.  But you ate well based on the evidence presented.  Here's to a speedy recovery.  Merry Christmas🎄
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thank you for the good vibes @lousubcap. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
  • lousubcap
    lkapigian said:

Yes sir.  That is how to enjoy the excuse to debauch right there.  Nice.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn said:
    Cajun filets and lobster. Pesto bread. Teriyaki balsamic Brussels sprouts. Spinach and tomatoes. Didn’t get a money shot of the steaks but they were perfect. Rare for my wife. Medium rare for the rest of us. 
    Great looking Christmas dinner, surf and turf is always a winner. Merry Christmas. 

XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    edited December 2023
    Foghorn said:

Pesto bread. 
    Outstanding Cook overall, but I'm really curious about the Pesto Bread; deets/recipe?  Looks like a combo of monkey bread/challah/rouladen; Nice!  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,009
    @Botch, thanks for asking. My wife and daughter made it. My daughter made some a while back and they attempted to do it again. They weren’t as happy with it this time around although it was quite good. 

Here is the recipe my daughter suggests. 

My wife makes the pesto and my daughter figured out how to braid it into the dough. 

Sorry I don’t have a more specific answer. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian said:

Please tell us about the rice. Looks phenomenal (as does everything; goes without saying).
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    lkapigian said:

Please tell us about the rice. Looks phenomenal (as does everything; goes without saying).
    @GrateEggspectations it’s Armenian Pilaf , first thing an Armenian learns lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @caliking

Looks like a great time and excellent eats. I hope the kids are enjoying their newfound membership in the Blue Man Group. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,009
    NDG said:
    Christmas Beef Tenderloin with shiitake tarragon sauce.  Always so so good. 

Part of FAM got COVID so decent amount  leftovers, honestly blew my mind, filet sliders with razor thin onion, Havarti & horseradish/ tarragon / lemon aioli 

Filet sliders are legit.  I did that tailgating at a TX A&M game when my daughter went there.  It's fair to say that we "won" that region of the parking lot.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Detroit style pizza here tonight. Haven't done it in a while, and forgot how good this can be.

Looks great! I have been hammering that recipe recently and honestly, never liked thick pizza before I started making it myself. Even from Buddy’s… Finding brick cheese can be challenging though. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    Foghorn said:
    1/2” Akaushi flat iron steak for man dinner yesterday :smiley: 

Hope all are having a great holiday season!
    The next time somebody asks how to cook a 1/2" steak, can we show this picture and have @caliking give some guidance - instead of just running the poor bastard off?
    Honestly, that was the best steak I've done in a while. Took it out of the fridge 20 mins prior, salted it, while I got a CI pan screaming hot on the stove. 

About 90 seconds per side, flipped twice. Threw a pat of HEB's Cajun compound butter in the pan, and called it done. Temped shy of 130F while it was in the pan, some carryover while it rested, but not much since it was a whopping 1/2"!

FWIW, that was a Heartbrand Akaushi flat iron of 2020 vintage, that surfaced during a recent freezer dive. It was farkin' delicious. I may just "freezer age" steaks from this point on :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2023
    @caliking - to a non-surgeon's eye that looks like a bit more than 1/2" but males always enhance dimensions. B)  The outcome looked great.
    Regarding Heartbrand beef- I used to be a big fan of the Heartbrand Akaushi briskets...about twice a year they would offer reduced shipping charges (to free) on orders over $100.  Have not seen that in three years.  Over $100 their standard shipping is 25% of the purchase price.  No longer happening here. 
    Beef and Texas-better to be lucky than good any day!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172

Made my first Detroit style pizza a few days ago. It was so good!
    Played golf today with a guy that owns a couple pizza restaurants around town and invited me to come by next week.  One of his 3 specialties is Detroit style.   Never had it but looking forward to it.    

Seeing yours has my interest piqued!   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

• Made my first Detroit style pizza a few days ago. It was so good!
    Looks great! Good rise. Here’s my last double batch for a special day. Really is a great meal to make.