Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    My kid got his wisdom teeth out yesterday. Made him Belgian waffles for breakfast.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • roro_c
    roro_c Posts: 11
    ok, so details.  I put hot coals on the whole bottom and a lot in the center, then putting big lump pieces over them, and then filling up all the way to the woo ring and plate setter, with wood chunks on top and on the sides.  I have tried closing off the flow on the bottom, the bottom and the top, jut the top to get it to around 250-275 and after a few hours the sides go out.  I have tried pushing the lump from the sides into the middle (pain in my ass, I have to move the grill over to get in there, and using the ash rake.  still goes out, and I have an XL, so there is a lot of lump in there.  I have tried my husband's method of getting the fire real hot first (600-800) but then it takes forever to get the temp back down, and half of it it already coals, so by the time I put more on, and get the temp down, or vice vs, tried both ways, it goes out even faster.  My husband is saying we shoulda got the large instead of XL, he heard its easier to control the temp.  But I already bought all the accessories for the XL, plus I like having all the extra room when I want to make a lot of stuff.  Anyway, now my husband is telling me to take the class (Chris Capell, Dizzy Pig).  Any thoughts?
    I am beautiful, smart, AND I smell like bacon.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,056
    roro_c said:
    ok, so details.  I put hot coals on the whole bottom and a lot in the center, then putting big lump pieces over them, and then filling up all the way to the woo ring and plate setter, with wood chunks on top and on the sides.  I have tried closing off the flow on the bottom, the bottom and the top, jut the top to get it to around 250-275 and after a few hours the sides go out.  I have tried pushing the lump from the sides into the middle (pain in my ass, I have to move the grill over to get in there, and using the ash rake.  still goes out, and I have an XL, so there is a lot of lump in there.  I have tried my husband's method of getting the fire real hot first (600-800) but then it takes forever to get the temp back down, and half of it it already coals, so by the time I put more on, and get the temp down, or vice vs, tried both ways, it goes out even faster.  My husband is saying we shoulda got the large instead of XL, he heard its easier to control the temp.  But I already bought all the accessories for the XL, plus I like having all the extra room when I want to make a lot of stuff.  Anyway, now my husband is telling me to take the class (Chris Capell, Dizzy Pig).  Any thoughts?
    Try filling with unlit lump and wood mixed.  Then use torch/paper towels/fire cube etc.  leave open for like 10 mins, when you get about a softball sized fire start shutting down vents for target temperature.  Add in accessories (plate setter, stone etc).  Let it all come to temp and smoke clear, then make sure temp is stable before adding protein.  Lots of info on the forum on fire starting/building, search function is horrible.  I google eggheadforum.com and my topic of choice for easy results. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    @roro_c sound's like you have too much fire and are then strangling it to get the temperature down.

Fill with lump right up to the underside of the platesetter with wood chunks in the lump right from the start. Light with an oil soaked paper towel on top of the lump towards the front of the Egg. Leave with the lid closed, bottom vent open and no daisy on top until you have a small, hot fire. Add platesetter, drip tray, grill etc. shut the bottom vent down to a small gap (maybe 1/8th inch) and the daisy with a small gap. You will need to get used to what opening gives you the temperature that you want. You can leave the vents open wider to get up to temperature faster, but then you have a bigger fire to get under control. Wait for the temperature to rise, but you can still put the meat on while it's warming up once the smoke is clear.
  • roro_c
    edited August 2018
    Eoin said:
    @roro_c sound's like you have too much fire and are then strangling it to get the temperature down.

Fill with lump right up to the underside of the platesetter with wood chunks in the lump right from the start. Light with an oil soaked paper towel on top of the lump towards the front of the Egg. Leave with the lid closed, bottom vent open and no daisy on top until you have a small, hot fire. Add platesetter, drip tray, grill etc. shut the bottom vent down to a small gap (maybe 1/8th inch) and the daisy with a small gap. You will need to get used to what opening gives you the temperature that you want. You can leave the vents open wider to get up to temperature faster, but then you have a bigger fire to get under control. Wait for the temperature to rise, but you can still put the meat on while it's warming up once the smoke is clear.

are you saying to just put unlit lump in the egg and only light the part in front?  when the rest eventually lights, its going to give off that black smoke that is on the outside of the lump, and my husband insists that that stuff has to burn off before we can use it.  maybe this is not true for long cooks.  I just think he doesn't like a smokey taste on the meat.  In that case, we coulda got a charcoal weber for less than $100 instead of paying $2000+ for this and all the accessories.  
  • ColtsFan said:
    When I die, one of y’all take my ashes and sprinkle them wherever this is...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,008
    Killit_and_Grillit said:
    When I die, one of y’all take my ashes and sprinkle them wherever this is...
    There's a company out there that will compress your ashes into a small diamond; wonder if there's a way to use your ashes in place of a torched barrel, to make a whiskey to be enjoyed by your offspring?  Hmmm.

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Brought some mace (the spice) back from our trip that Dallas picked up in India on a spice farm. 

Brushed up on it, pretty interesting, I'm excited to try it out.

edited August 2018
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    Try filling with unlit lump and wood mixed.  Then use torch/paper towels/fire cube etc.  leave open for like 10 mins, when you get about a softball sized fire start shutting down vents for target temperature.  Add in accessories (plate setter, stone etc).  Let it all come to temp and smoke clear, then make sure temp is stable before adding protein.  Lots of info on the forum on fire starting/building, search function is horrible.  I google eggheadforum.com and my topic of choice for easy results. 
    OK, from what I am reading, it sounds like I gotta stop listening to my husband, since he don't know s##t about cooking, can't even reheat leftovers in the microwave.  It sounds like I am just burning up too much of my fuel in the beginning and there just ain't enough left to go for the long haul.  I got a pork butt and 3 racks of ribs in the freezer for my next low and slow.  I will follow the directions everyone else is saying here and post the results.  If it don't work, anyone wanna buy an XL with all the eggcessories?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2018
    Managed to get the lawn mowed before this opened up

And, if anyone knows the engineer that designed the new gas cans, I'd like his number, I have a few choice words for him/her...

Ordered a kit to fix it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYNDNM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,698
    DMW said:

And, if anyone knows the engineer that designed the new gas cans, I'd like his number, I have a few choice words for him...

Ordered a kit to fix it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYNDNM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hate those cans with a passion. I’m glad I still have a couple of the old school cans. I might start hitting up yard sales to find some more. 
  • U_tarded
    edited August 2018
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    OK, from what I am reading, it sounds like I gotta stop listening to my husband, since he don't know s##t about cooking, can't even reheat leftovers in the microwave.  It sounds like I am just burning up too much of my fuel in the beginning and there just ain't enough left to go for the long haul.  I got a pork butt and 3 racks of ribs in the freezer for my next low and slow.  I will follow the directions everyone else is saying here and post the results.  If it don't work, anyone wanna buy an XL with all the eggcessories?
    Watching your temp and your smoke, and smell it, if it’s is billowing it’s going to smell bad and taste worse. The old saying of asking coals is from briquette days.  The heat from the burning lump will burn off an VOCs in The lump not burning and your smoke/smell will clear usually within about 20-30 mins of lighting.  Stick with it you will get it. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Was chipping brush in the backyard with wings on the large. Then the storm @dmw captured above started rumbling in the distance.  Rushed to finish. Didn’t. Needed 30 more mins.  Then remembered the wings.  
    Eating these now.  Not really bad but not that good.  I will use the term edible. Another 30 mins and they would have looked like Mickey’s wings. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,133
    we don't have In and Out in our parts...
    Over rated. Ask for frys well done and they are almost passable.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Those gas can conversions are the way to go. I have 5 cans converted

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited August 2018
    The egg was hot, so why not? 

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Saw this at the Lowe’s food at the beach. This has got to be one of the nicest and biggest Lowe’s food stores ever. Probably one of the nicest grocery stores I’ve been in which is a lot since we’ve got the Taj ma Teeter in Charlotte. Lowe’s  had to step up their game when a Publix went in over on the island (Emerald Isle). I am not a fan of their beef but found this interesting:

Im going to go check out the IGA down the road and see what they have. We heard they’ve got some decent beef there. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,698
    Saw this at the Lowe’s food at the beach. This has got to be one of the nicest and biggest Lowe’s food stores ever. Probably one of the nicest grocery stores I’ve been in which is a lot since we’ve got the Taj ma Teeter in Charlotte. Lowe’s  had to step up their game when a Publix went in over on the island (Emerald Isle). I am not a fan of their beef but found this interesting:

Im going to go check out the IGA down the road and see what they have. We heard they’ve got some decent beef there. 
    14 days isn’t enough for dry aging. I’d be on the lookout for a manager’s close out special after the sell by date. After the sell date is when the magic starts happening anyway. 
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    @DoubleEgger, I agree about the time aged. I thought it wasn’t near enough time too. They must be trying to turn product around for the $$. Like I said, not a big fan of their beef...
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @bgebrent
    Glad it was recovered ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    DMW said:

And, if anyone knows the engineer that designed the new gas cans, I'd like his number, I have a few choice words for him/her...

Ordered a kit to fix it.

I had the same Expierence a few weeks ago when I had to help my son when he ran out of gas. I prolly used some of the same words you used....before re-engineereung the can to get it to flow.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Thank you Scottie @SGH!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    bgebrent said:
    Thank you Scottie @SGH!
    My pleasure brother Brent. I like to see good things happen for good folks. With that said, if you were an unshaven liberal hippy, I would of hoped just the opposite ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• roro_c
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    Watching your temp and your smoke, and smell it, if it’s is billowing it’s going to smell bad and taste worse. The old saying of asking coals is from briquette days.  The heat from the burning lump will burn off an VOCs in The lump not burning and your smoke/smell will clear usually within about 20-30 mins of lighting.  Stick with it you will get it. 
    so you are disagreeing with people who are saying to have unlit, unburnt lump in there?  If I have to burn it all before I can put the meat on, it aint gonna last through a long cook.  Do I burn the lump, then load it up with wood?  I am sooo confused.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,498
    @bgebrent - better to be lucky than good any day.  Congrats on the find.  Time to bulk up so it doesn't happen again. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    DMW said:

And, if anyone knows the engineer that designed the new gas cans, I'd like his number, I have a few choice words for him...

Ordered a kit to fix it.

I hate those cans with a passion. I’m glad I still have a couple of the old school cans. I might start hitting up yard sales to find some more. 
    @DoubleEgger - if you have a TractorSupply near you, they have the EZ-Pour Hi-Flo replacement spout - SKU # 105325899. No shipping but a bit more than the kit @DMW posted.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    we don't have In and Out in our parts...
    Over rated. Ask for frys well done and they are almost passable.

While I share your fondness for well done fries, calling In Out overated... that's just crossing a line.  

Phoenix 
  • U_tarded
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    so you are disagreeing with people who are saying to have unlit, unburnt lump in there?  If I have to burn it all before I can put the meat on, it aint gonna last through a long cook.  Do I burn the lump, then load it up with wood?  I am sooo confused.
    No I’m saying you don’t have to have it all lit just a small bit, the heat gets rid of bad smoke.  You will be fine sorry for the confusion. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    U_tarded said:
    roro_c said:
    You load up a huge pile of lump (my large will take almost 10 lbs).  Then light a small spot on top.  Close the lid, set the vents to 1/8" - 1/4" open and wait until you get good smelling smoke.  You are only burning a tiny fraction of all the lump.  The rest should be unlit.