Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    Almost starting to feel bad for Baltimore Orioles fans.  Almost.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Shopping for hiking boots - seem to recall a thread on here recently but can't find it.  Brands to look for?  @botch, @yukonron maybe?
    I just bought a pair of Obōz, based on @yukonron 's recommendation.  I have them broken in via mowing the lawn, now, but it's been too hot, and now too smoky, to go on an actual hike around here.  Waiting for Fall.... :(

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Shopping for hiking boots - seem to recall a thread on here recently but can't find it.  Brands to look for?  @botch, @yukonron maybe?
    Oboz. I have two pair. I had my left leg, ankle and foot rebuilt, which made me think my climbing, backpacking and hiking days were over.
    They made me able to do these things again.
    Awesome boots, I highly recommend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    If you have an REI near you go there. Pick a pair of boots you think will work. If they don’t work out, trade them in for a different pair until you find something that fits/works best. Also, once you find a pair that works, take out the insoles that came with them and buy a pair of Super feet insoles (from REI too) and replace them into your new boots. Put at least 50 miles on the new boots before your first “Big” hike. I’ve got about 300 miles on a nice pair of Asolo boots that I’ve taken on a couple of big treks but I wouldn’t trust them to go on another. I’ve seen too many boot failures to consider taking them again. Time to break in  another pair!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    @TN_Egger I’ve had great luck with the higher end Keens, currently have their Durand.  All depends on the shape of your foot.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work @DMW.   Awesome cook, and it looks like an even better time. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    Legume said:
    TN_Egger said:
    @TN_Egger I’ve had great luck with the higher end Keens, currently have their Durand.  All depends on the shape of your foot.  
    Agree. Everyone has a different foot. Vasque fits me better than anything else. I’ve been wearing Vasque for 30+ years. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Weighing charcuterie and sampling as I go.  I have to say that I have some real winners this time and will definitely be repeated in the next batch. Of particular note: “Rosemary and Garlic” and both my “Paprika Medium” and “Paprika Hot” (sliced picture).  The pancetta and most of it will be sliced up Tuesday when I have the slicer out. Curious to see how that pancetta turned out. 

Ive always wondered and never bothered to look it up. What is the white powdery (insert illegal drug reference here) looking stuff on the outside?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Weighing charcuterie and sampling as I go.  I have to say that I have some real winners this time and will definitely be repeated in the next batch. Of particular note: “Rosemary and Garlic” and both my “Paprika Medium” and “Paprika Hot” (sliced picture).  The pancetta and most of it will be sliced up Tuesday when I have the slicer out. Curious to see how that pancetta turned out. 

Ive always wondered and never bothered to look it up. What is the white powdery (insert illegal drug reference here) looking stuff on the outside?
    Likely penicillium
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan
    Options

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    @bgebrent - As you well know-abt's with any sort of mix for the win.  Now I have never made 'em with ribeye ;)  but a great use of left-overs. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - As you well know-abt's with any sort of mix for the win.  Now I have never made 'em with ribeye ;)  but a great use of left-overs. 
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never had leftover ribeye :) maybe that's why I am 240lbs

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    lousubcap said:
    I can say with 100% certainty that I have never had leftover ribeye :) maybe that's why I am 240lbs
    I ate 2 of the 4 I thawed yesterday with intended leftovers for more meals as above.  However, I agree leftover ribeye should be a rare event. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Tiger is looking good again. Today might be the day... 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Likely penicillium
    @TEXASBGE2018 , @ColtsFan is correct. 
    It is a mold in that family.  I do not know exactly which one. You can buy it and spray/dip the meat in it. It is fast growing and spreads quickly, which is good because the "bad" molds grow slow. In theory, the good mold will spread and deplete the easy to use nutrients before the bad mold can get a foothold. It also slows down the drying process, changes the ph  right at the surface...blah blah blah... but the main purpose is to let the good stuff grow so the bad can't.
    In case you are wondering, yes you can eat it. I can not taste it, but I can smell it. With that being said, these cured muscles are cased in a beef bung. So when I go to slice it, I peel it back and there is little no no mold in/on the meat itself.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Politely enquiring if my dog might like to join us in the house.

But thats the bone from our cote de boeuf in her mouth!   I think she set for the evening, right there. =)

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    For my $$$, these have treated me very nicely.  I’ve replaced the soles NLT 10x.  Oh the stories these could tell. 
    Magen i hit the App trail a few weeks ago in Rocksyvania, I wish I packed these vs my anime Crosstrainers.  

BTW, I know they need some polish.  I’m ashamed to even post the pic before I polish em up.  

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Just put this on before the rains begin. Left one has onions, right for SWMBO only celery, S&P, egg, and Italian bread crumbs. Indirect at 350 degrees. Plating pictures later.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Packing.  Headed to CA for the week in the morning.  Free afternoon tomorrow, then 9+ hours of meetings Tuesday through Thursday, and flying home Friday. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Well now...this is getting interesting...first major of the year with any drama
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Just glad the local fires moved away from us, Tri Tip for Sunday dinner.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    just picked me up a new cat toy (on account of the "laser")
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Well now...this is getting interesting...first major of the year with any drama
    I’m just glad Scott didn’t win. He’s a real nice guy and all but I don’t get how that is still not anchoring the putter?