Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@bgebrent. I'm impressed at the lengths you went to in order to find that ring!  Good for you.

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,498
    @roro_c - Welcome aboard and eventually you will enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Give the search function here a look and you will find more info than you can digest.  Absent that...
    As you are aware, the BGE is an air-flow driven rig.  Once you have a fire going (later on that front) the amount of air-flow dictates the fire volume and thus the cook temp.  The reason the BGE can run for 24 hrs on a single load of lump (at low&slow temps) is because the volume of lump to maintain the cook temp is quite small.  The fire (small in volume) travels around the lump load seeking fuel to sustain itself for the cook duration. 
    Now the VOC's; as @U_tarded said, whatever quantity of burning lump needed to maintain your desired low&slow cook temp will create an environment inside the BGE that will drive off the VOC's from the unlit lump just due to the overall temp.
    So, for low&slow get around a softball sized volume of lump going ( I light in one spot slightly forward of center about an inch deep into the lump), shut the lower vent to around 1" open, shut the dome, install the DFMT (petals full open) and then adjust the lower vent as you approach your desired cook temp.  You can adjust the DFMT as well.
    Most BGE's have a sweet-spot in the 240-270*F range on the calibrated dome thermo.  
    That's more than enough for now. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,493
    Walked into the local Ace to a nice little surprise. I've only seen Cowboy in the store prior to today.
    Las Vegas, NV

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    bgebrent said:
    I lost my platinum wedding ring in the lake under our dock last weekend after a swim.  Lanier Divers came out and hand searched for 90 minutes Saturday and then 2 hours on Sunday using a grid with no luck.  Brian, the diver said it would either require a high-end metal detector or dredging (not really feasible).  He did a lot of research and I bought a nice underwater metal detector with waterproof headphones.  He was able to selectively tune the detector to the platinum in my ring (by using N’s rings from the same jeweler).  After he practiced with it he came over today and found it under 5” of silt after about 45’.  Made me happy!  

So you had someone else do it for you? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Silly Q. Almost all my BGE forum browsing is done on my laptop. If I browse on my phone, I got to search on my browser for bge forum then sign in. Is there an easier way? A BGE app?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Indeed @northGAcock!  Easier that way. ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,999
    Jeremiah said:
    Warranty parts finally!!
    Just in time for you to lose at Wing Ding!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Salmon, lady peas, okra and sliced tomato.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    bgebrent said:
    Victory Ribeyes with Morels.

You are killing it brother Brent. Simply outstanding.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I won't be running for public office :lol:
    But, this crab claw ceviche smells incredible!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    I’d vote for you Blake!  Just keep the apron on!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446

Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,698

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    @bgebrent glad it was found.  I bet it was a rough few days without but thinking about it. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,999
    Well if I wasn’t blind before, that did it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,498
    Judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement. 
    Wow!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Jeremiah said:
    I think I just threw up in my mouth. 
    I agree, it's strangely arousing.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited August 2018

Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    dharley said:
    I agree, it's strangely arousing.
    I don’t think that “arousing” is the proper term here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @bgebrent well done. I lost mine snorkeling on our honeymoon. Fell in some coral near a puffer fish. Got it back after he got disinterested, only to lose it jet skiing a couple of days later. 

Still dont wear one. She knows how hard I worked just to get her, I don’t have that in me again. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    EYE BLEACH, STAT!
  • theyolksonyou
    multicultural dog

• theyolksonyou

Wow. 
    Just glad it’s a front view....
  • bgebrent