Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

1313233343537»

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @piney We will be cooking at the North Georgia Eggfest next year. Hope you can make it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @piney‌ Here you go brother piney. Fresh grated Parmesan extra aged cheese. Lots of melted butter. Coarse garlic. Fine chopped parsley. To cook I simply set on a hot grate and watch for the first sign of bubbling. Once I see bubbling I spoon in the cheese. The second the cheese starts to melt I sprinkle in the parsley immediately followed by the butter. And that's it. Simple as sin my friend. Hope you enjoy brother piney.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,015
    Kdp said:
    I am Piney's Sous Chef. I have learned so much about cooking from him over the years. He has raved about all the food and fun in New Orleans. Can't wait to try so of the things he learned.

@Kdp, welcome aboard. 

I think the basic lessons learned in New Orleans were 1) drink a lot, 2) stay near the grill while you drink a lot, 3) make sure someone else is paying attention to the grill while you drink a lot, 4) relax, have fun, and eat great food while you drink a lot.

It was a group variation on the Cen-tex theme of 1) get egg set and put on brisket, 2) drink, get distracted or passed out so you don't mess with the brisket while it cooks to it's natural goodness, 3) (this is the key) know when the brisket is done and take it off.

Now I wasn't there, but for those that were - did I miss anything?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    pretty close Foghorn. Thanks SGH I will do this! Oh yea, I did miss Kdp... I had to get my own beer
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

We took a lot of pics over the weekend. And rather than posting them all I have a slide show at the bucket. Click on it to go to the slide show. Enjoy.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/hotchvb/slideshow/NOLA%20Brisket%20Camp

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Kdp
    Kdp Posts: 10
    Piney thinks when he snaps his fingers I should have a beer ready and open for him. One of the requirements of being his sous chef!
    Asheboro, N.C.
  • SGH
    @Hotch‌
    Awesome camera work my friend. Thanks for sharing the link.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Very nice pictures @Hotch.  You captured a lot of the charm of Algiers Point.
    Loved the pics, @Hotch
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    @sgh how did you do the oysters? They look fantastic
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    @Wolfpack‌
    The trick that I find to work best is very simple. First don't get the grill to hot. Why? The shells want to start exploding. I find 450 degrees to be perfect. Next grill your oyster naked and bare on the half shell and watch it very close. The second it starts to shrivel up hit it with the chopped parsley real fast followed by the melted butter and lastly the cheese. The second that the cheese bubbles they are done. Pull them from the grill and hit them one more time very fast with more melted butter. Friend when I say they were better than Drago's I'm not exaggerating in the least. They are in a league of their own.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    SGH said:
    @Wolfpack‌ The trick that I find to work best is very simple. First don't get the grill to hot. Why? The shells want to start exploding. I find 450 degrees to be perfect. Next grill your oyster naked and bare on the half shell and watch it very close. The second it starts to shrivel up hit it with the chopped parsley real fast followed by the melted butter and lastly the cheese. The second that the cheese bubbles they are done. Pull them from the grill and hit them one more time very fast with more melted butter. Friend when I say they were better than Drago's I'm not exaggerating in the least. They are in a league of their own.
    Sounds easy but after a few drinks it could become challenging, especially the "watch it real close" part.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    In my life, I've only had one oyster, and that was one that @travisstrick made at Salado.  It was pretty great and it looked very similar to yours.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Thanks for sharing they are on my to do list- now I'm in the mood for some but don't think they have these in Chicago... Oh well will have to wait till I'm home.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    If you're cooking a large quantity, it takes someone manning the grill constantly.  But you can eat as you cook.  It's a fun time - people will hang around and eat them right when they come off.
    Sorry just hated seeing this on the 2nd page
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @thetrim‌
    I hear ya brother. Started to bump it myself.

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    I forgot to add my entry for the caption contest:

"Wait, nobody brought a lighter?!?!"

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead‌ I agree. Why the heck not? The more places that cazzy sees that I'm the man the better ;) He needs to just go ahead and say it so the healing can begin.

Status- Standing by.