Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sorry about the a-hole bazillion terapixel pics.  Too lazy to reduce them down.
    Brett taking son for a ride on the "nola egghead" cargo bike....

imageimage
    @nolaegghead‌
    He is no legend my friend. A myth maybe, but not a legend. I thank you for the compliments nonetheless.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Mom watching bike ride...
    Hope everyone had high speed interwebz.....

Keely

Keep the pics coming!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    dark, compared to outside 

Mommykins

band and people

imageimage
    Hope you mobile users have good data plans....
    Jumping off wifi ;)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    TigerTony - thanks for all the help and the band referral, and kind words, brutha!

sum frieeends of myern

brother henapple.  4H - Hell of a hardworking, helpful humanoid.  (just not this very second)
    Sous vide brisket.  I forgot about it, was shooting for 165F, but it was up to 200F.  Two people said it was their favorite.

imageimageimage
    Sounds like the true winner of the weekend was @SGH son.  He went from the "Idiot Son" to "Party Monster" 

Great recaps by everyone.  Sounds like something that with maintain Legend status for a very long time on the UnitOneHead Fourm
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    edited September 2014
    One last time: Happy Birthday Carey, sorry I missed the MOST EPIC party ever.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    How did you sous vide a brisket? Smoke first then bath?
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Thanks for the picture with names so I can put a name to the face. Now I'm thinking about ditching the forum! ;)
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    For some reason I hadn't clicked on this thread until yesterday during the football games, and had to read all (as of now) 32 pages.  Congrats to NOLA and others for pulling this off, looks like a fantastic time and hopefully a recurring event.
    I've had the pleasure of meeting a lot of folks on other forums.  Been to LA twice and Atlanta to meet folks on my musician's forum (had some great jams in LA!), and I've met several folks from my motorcycle forums when they pass through town.
    My Home Theater group, however, have hosted the most GTGs (Get-Togethers) and I've been to Houston and St. Louis, to spend a few days in different home theaters (lots of cooking and drinking there too) but "Bats", as we call him, started the ball rolling and he hosts an incredible, 4-day GTG every summer in his "Bat Cave" home theater; check it out:  Batcave 
    I wouldn't have been able to make this Brisket school, but will sure try to be able to make the next one.  Forums become more "comfortable" when you get to meet some of the players face-to-face (as some of you have done at the Eggfests too) and I'm looking forward to the next one!  
    :-bd

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Howdy Eggers -

This is my first post, and thought that I would introduce myself here since I met so many of you at the Brisket Camp, and since I owe a few of you an apology.

The Introduction
    Ms. Stone and I (pictured below) are from Houston, and met a number of you in Salado last spring.  We bought our BGE up in Chicago in '07, where it kept us deep in St. Louis ribs, pulled pork, tea smoked duck, turkey and paella.  However, when we moved back home to Texas, I knew I needed to get my brisket game together or I would be deported.  Thankfully, we met CenTex in Salado, and his "mistake" was the best brisket I had eaten up til then.  I got some good advice, and can now at least maintain residence home in Texas for awhile.

The apology 
    Ms. Stone and I unwittingly converted (for a day, at least) CenTex to a Turboficianado.  It turns out that lakewade and Mr. and Ms. Tex had seen the best of New Orleans on Thursday night, but felt compelled to answer the bell again when Lisa and I turned up Friday night.  All I can say is, if you are in a bar called "Sazerac", you are going to drink a few Sazeracs, and we did more than our part to keep the New Orleans economy going.  None of us are twenty two anymore, and the alarm clocks were much quieter on Saturday morning than they might otherwise have been, forcing CenTex to blast furnace his briskets in unnatural ways.  So, sorry for that.

The op/ed
    Wagyu is very, very nice, but it is cheating.  Those SRF briskets poured out of the cryo like a jello mold, and the only hard part was telling where to stop trimming as the fat transitioned to fat with a little meat in it.  Of course it was awesome.  CenTex (pictured below with his Turbogyu brisket) could have cut it with the back of the knife.  Those steers live the life of a Roman emperor (including the early death), being constantly fed and massaged.  I am glad I tried it, but I am going back to cheating just a little (buying Prime) and cooking low and slow, just as it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the fun
    NOLA and Fleur thew a hell of a party.  We had a blast helping where we could, meeting everyone and eating more than we should have.  I would love to see us do it again next year.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @20Stone It was great meeting you guys in NOLA.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • nolaegghead
    @SGH - Did Party Monster enjoy the ride in the Cayman?  I was giving him a ride and tore around the corner up by the levee at one point.  Felt bad because a lady with sink eye yelled "slow down!".  I actually was doing the 25 mph speed limit, but at the point she saw me, I was doing it through a 90 degree turn.  I'm normally very careful not to be a douche bag, esp in my own hood where people know me.
    The lovely and gracious @FleurdeLirious‌ ....

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @20stone‌ ...good to see you again. Glad you're finally on the forum.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    @nolaegghead, @SGH, @henapple, @CEN-TEXsmoker , thank you for letting me live vicariously through you guys from here in Calif, looks like a wonderful time was had, very impressed with SGH's skills and all other's as well, it was fun to watch from here!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @anton‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. Wish you could have been there

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @henapple‌
    Thanks for the kind gift brother Apple. It's much appreciated. Working on your chickens tonight my friend.image

Status- Standing by.