Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My "sleep number" was 78 last night.  I have no idea what that means, but Fleur's was 70.  It's like a contest where we have no clue about the criteria for success.
    Options
    Is "Angie" Mrs. SGH? If so, from all prior posts and pics, she seems like a really nice person! (And leave her darn mini alone, SGH! ;) )
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    SGH said:
    Unit 6. Home safe and sound. imageimage
    Did you use this at all?  Also, did you have to make two trips or did your son pull one?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    No sir I didn't use it. Looking back I wish that I would have fired it up. I didn't realize demand was going to be that high. I had to go back and get it. Party Monster doesn't have a driver license. No joke.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Unit 6 is actually 3 cookers in one. I can divide the horizontal chamber in half thus creating 2 cookers in the horizontal chamber. The only draw back to this is they will run 25-30 degrees different from each other. This can be used to your advantage though with proper meat selection. The vertical on back is built in to create a third cooking chamber. It also runs 25 degrees cooler than the hottest horizontal chamber. When loaded properly, Unit 6 will hold one 250 pound hog or two 125 pound hogs in the main chamber. The vertical on back will hold roughly 300-400 pounds of primals and/or subprimals. It's a substantial unit. It's just so hard for me to run 2 or 3 units now. My hands and feet just want allow me to anymore. I really struggled keeping just Unit 1 running at full capacity. I'm trying to teach Party Monster to run the bigger units so I can man just the small ones.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Here is a look at Unit 7 that a good friend is building for me. It should make it much easier for me to handle 1,000 pounds of meat. Look at it close and you can see that it has features being built in to help handicapped folks like myself. If it works we may start selling them to folks with limited mobility but still love to cook. Unit 7 is actually usable and accessible to folks in a wheel chair. I hope if it works and I can start manufacturing them that one day they will be my contribution to the world of bbq. SGH Smokers. Kind of has a nice ring to it my friend. imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "One small wore out Weber grill."....c'mon, I know you have a hibachi somewhere.   xaggerator.
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    These smokers are not really mine. Just the Weber is mine. I don't even own a egg ;)
    I never said this on the forum until now, because people would always call me a liar when I made claims. The man in the pic below is brother Paul Shirley of Shirley Custom Metal Works in Tuscaloosa Al. He and I are personal friends. We use to work together at the HUNT Refinery until I left to work for Chevron and now Exxon/Mobil Gulf of Mexico subsea deep water division. We remain close friends until this day. That is brother Shirley posing along with me on Unit 7. The pics were took today.
    I'm actually friends with several big time pit builders and current bbq champs.
    Brother Shirley of Shirley Custom Metal Works. A top tier pit builder by any standard or measure.
    imageimageimageimage
    Last but certainly not least. Big Sexy himself. image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Yes ma'am. Angie is my wife of 31 long and miserable years ;)
    Sure hope that she doesn't read that!!

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ Here is a look at Unit 7 that a good friend is building for me. It should make it much easier for me to handle 1,000 pounds of meat. Look at it close and you can see that it has features being built in to help handicapped folks like myself. If it works we may start selling them to folks with limited mobility but still love to cook. Unit 7 is actually usable and accessible to folks in a wheel chair. I hope if it works and I can start manufacturing them that one day they will be my contribution to the world of bbq. SGH Smokers. Kind of has a nice ring to it my friend. imageimageimage
    Beautiful man!  At some point, i'm going to learn to weld so I can build me a BIG offset.  I will likely buy the first one though.  
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @nolaegghead‌ These smokers are not really mine. Just the Weber is mine. I don't even own a egg ;) I never said this on the forum until now, because people would always call me a liar when I made claims. The man in the pic below is brother Paul Shirley of Shirley Custom Metal Works in Tuscaloosa Al. He and I are personal friends. We use to work together at the HUNT Refinery until I left to work for Chevron and now Exxon/Mobil Gulf of Mexico subsea deep water division. We remain close friends until this day. That is brother Shirley posing along with me on Unit 7. The pics were took today. I'm actually friends with several big time pit builders and current bbq champs. Brother Shirley of Shirley Custom Metal Works. A top tier pit builder by any standard or measure. imageimageimageimage Last but certainly not least. Big Sexy himself. image
    That is pretty flipping awesome man!  That's your favorite pose huh?     ;)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice pit! It seems like Shirley Fabrication has been turning out some beauties and generating a following lately.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I can't believe that I'm actually saying this, but here goes. If you decide you want a pit, I can get it for you at less than half price. I do test cooks for a few well established pit builders to help tweak the design and set the draft. I'm pretty good in heat transfer and convective dynamic flow diagnostics. The test pit is then sold for less than half price. This is how I acquired Unit 2, 3, 6 and also 7 when the build is complete. Once I test and tune them they are sold at near cost.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    Brother Egg I'm not just saying this because brother Paul is my personal friend. You can put these pits up against any builder. They are top tier in every way.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ I can't believe that I'm actually saying this, but here goes. If you decide you want a pit, I can get it for you at less than half price. I do test cooks for a few well established pit builders to help tweak the design and set the draft. I'm pretty good in heat transfer and convective dynamic flow diagnostics. The test pit is then sold for less than half price. This is how I acquired Unit 2, 3, 6 and also 7 when the build is complete. Once I test and tune them they are sold at cost.
    LOL  I haven't believed half the things i've said to you the past few days.  Something tells me that will never change on both sides of the tracks and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.    Less boring this way.     ;)

That is quite an offer...one that I might have to take you up on.  I do have something very specific in mind, but we can work out some details after we close on our new home (December).  Unexpected, but certainly appreciated.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I stole that pose from brother Mixon himself. In 1994 at the Big Pig Jig in Valdosta GA. brother Mixon destroyed me as well as everyone else competing against him in whole hog. Me doing the pose is a inside joke between me and him. Let me clarify that the pose is out of sheer respect for him. Not mockery in any way. But until my dying day if I know someone is photographing me, that is the pose that I strike.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Brother fun is fun and jokes is jokes. But I will gladly help anyone. I offered brother Tex the blueprints to Unit 1 free of charge. He declined them. I'm neither greedy nor selfish in any way. I'm not going to lie. I live to stir you up. But it's just in good fun. I will gladly help you or anyone else in any way that I possibly can.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    A peek inside of Unit 6 imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    @SGH‌ , brother you and the boys put on a mighty fine display of cooking. I'd love to one day be in attendance of such an event. Lots to be learned out there.

You come across and have displayed nothing but class brother SGH. I've pulled the wife in on some of your posts I've found entertaining.

Keep up the good work, and I like how you describe the cookers as "unit #". It gives that serious tone to this BBQ business we all gather here to speak on.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Skinny.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    If you decide that you want me to get a test pit for you, please give as much notice as possible. Why? Most are pre sold in advance long before I get them for testing and tuning. Most of the good pit builders are back logged into February. This includes brother Shirley.

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Since the reveal of @SGH's face, I have thought, this guy reminds me of someone.  

Low and behold, I finally figured it out.  My boy Tickle up in Va is who he reminds me of!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Have been following this thread with enormous interest; met my bride of 21 years in NOLA way, way back in the day (long OT story) and am crazy envious of all who made the trek to Brisket Camp in the Big Easy.  She bought me my BGE (bless her heart) and knows she reaps great benefits from my eggventures . . . and she seemed moderately interested in the goings on of the group that made the inaugural trip to Camp.  I'll be looking for next year's schedule with the hopes of making a contributor to the event . . .   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SGH
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing‌
    I hope you do make it next year brother. The honor would be mine sir.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    In this pic my wife had caught me pulling pieces of meat off with my bare hands. She was scolding me for touching the food and eating with my hands. She said it looked uncivilized. I told her I wasn't sure how it looked, but that it tasted just fine ;) Nonetheless she was burning mine and Party Monsters ears off!!image

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @SGH, you sure you're not Tickles's brother? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    I very well could be ;)

Unit 1. Standing down.

imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Home sweet home.image

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @SGH Both you and Unit#1 did a fine job. Thanks for all of the tips and  cooking info this past weekend.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hotch‌
    Thank you so much for the kind words brother. My wife thought the world of you and your wife. As did I my friend.

Status- Standing by.