Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    edited September 2014
    SGH said:
    @DMW‌ I let him ride up front for the ride home. 2 nights ago Party Monster and Brother Apple was riding around the streets of NO in trailer drinking beef and smoking cigars. I'm not sure that was a cigar Party Monster was smoking. Had a strong and powerful smell to it.

He didn't just run to Colorado. On every corner in Glenwood Springs. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    As to the briskets. The plan originally was to cook many different grades of briskets and flats using different cooking methods and set ups. The demand was so high and came on so fast for food that low and slow was out the window. Towards the end hot and fast was ultimately replaced with thermonuclear briskets. On the last load Unit 1 never fell below 375 degrees for a second. The final load was finished in excess of 415 degrees. The final corned brisket was finished at a witnessed 442 degrees. There was no way we could keep up with demand using low and slow. Nor using eggs unless we had several of the new XXL eggs. I was pushing Unit 1 very hard to meet demand. That's ok though. Live and learn. Next year Unit 6 will be front row center and online the night before. I won't get caught with my pants down again.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH and Brother Tex
    imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    SGH said:

As to the briskets. The plan originally was to cook many different grades of briskets and flats using different cooking methods and set ups. The demand was so high and came on so fast for food that low and slow was out the window. Towards the end hot and fast was ultimately replaced with thermonuclear briskets. On the last load Unit 1 never fell below 375 degrees for a second. The final load was finished in excess of 415 degrees. The final corned brisket was finished at a witnessed 442 degrees. There was no way we could keep up with demand using low and slow. Nor using eggs unless we had several of the new XXL eggs. I was pushing Unit 1 very hard to meet demand. That's ok though. Live and learn. Next year Unit 6 will be front row center and online the night before. I won't get caught with my pants down again.

Made me think of this:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    @Mickey‌
    What was your question about the knives my friend?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @cazzy‌
    People started coming from every where like cattle. I would no sooner slice one and I would have to reload. One I got the pork done it gave us a little breathing room until it was gone. Them it started again.

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ People started coming from every where like cattle. I would no sooner slice one and I would have to reload. One I got the pork done it gave us a little breathing room until it was gone. Them it started again.

Maybe you should consider that if the food wasn't so good, people wouldn't eat it as fast.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    And as far as keeping up I defiantly got hit in the mouth. I really didn't think that the food would go that fast. It was shocking.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    About 8:00pm I really got concerned. If I wouldn't have been so fatigued at that point I would have brought Unit 6 online as well. At that point I was so exhausted I couldn't run 2 pits. Just to old and wore out for that kind of pit management now.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    And as far as keeping up I defiantly got hit in the mouth. I really didn't think that the food would go that fast. It was shocking.

I'm not surprised. People on the sauce get hungry...especially when it's free and right off the cutting board. Sounds like a damn fine time. When time did the first piece of meat get some fire and smoke?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    @buzd504‌
    Thanks for the kind words brother.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ What was your question about the knives my friend?

What size? 10 or 12 or 14 inch
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    The largest is a 14" Cimeter by Victorinox. The small one is a 12" Cimeter by Victorinox as well. Outstanding knives for carcass, primals and subprimals. In a league of their own.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Mickey‌
    If I make it to Salado I will gladly but a semi hollow 20 degree taper on them for you. Henapple can vouch for this. Once I hollow grind them they will cut you just by looking at them. No joke.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @cazzy‌
    First load into Unit 1 was at 9:42am. First omitted smoke out the stack was 9:57am.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fleur deLirious jumping on NOLA's computer again... @SGH I thought you said you were going to collapse into a coma and sleep for 24 hrs upon arriving home. You are apparently NOT human, but some sort of artificial intelligence. That would explain your amazing abilities in the cooking arena as well as your lack of need for sleep...
    Now that I'm home I'm wide awake. It always happens to me.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @Mickey‌
    For a better understanding as to the actual size of the big breaking knives, that is a 7" boning knife that they are dwarfing in the photo. The boning knife is no baby it's self.image

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Fleur again... I was standing next to Henapple when he nearly cut off his finger while wiping down a chopping block. He barely grazed the edge of that ISIS Beheading Knife.
    Sorry for the crappy pic above. Here you go my friend. Note the mass of the big breakers, yet they balance perfect in hand. Perfect.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    @nolaegghead‌
    Those knives are wicked for sure. For the price there are none in their league. None. I've tried them all. These are the breakers of choice without question or doubt my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    here are some pictures from fleur...

brisket
    nola brisket
    gumbo
    margaritas
    chili
    crying

fleur must be holding the phone upside down or something.
    Awesome pics for sure!!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    This is a "shocker".  SGH, the man, the legend....
    The Tunnel of BBQ....

"I once found two for one bacon and only bought one...dunno what I was thinkin'".

EGGcelsiorimage