Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ I sure will brother Mick.
    Is this the knife you were telling me about?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Because I know brother Tar and brother Phat are looking. I thought I better eat 11 dozen.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

@Cen-Tex_Smoker You guys cooked some great briskets and thanks. It just goes to show you that there many ways to cook great brisket. All were moist and tender.

I must admit I was not a fan of hot and fast brisket prior to the "Camp" but after this weekend I know now I can make it happen. We will see you in Salado.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ I sure will brother Mick.
    Is this the knife you were telling me about?

If it wasn't then I would hate to see that one. These are like Lawrence of Arabia sh!t. Crazy huge and sharp as a scalpel.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Victrinox. .. I literally bumped the knife and cut myself.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch said:

@Cen-Tex_Smoker You guys cooked some great briskets and thanks. It just goes to show you that there many ways to cook great brisket. All were moist and tender.

I must admit I was not a fan nof hot and fast brisket prior to the "Camp" but after this weekend I know now I can make it happen. We will see you in Salado.

I'm still not a fan of hot and fast but the event kind of called for it so that's how we rolled. Next time will be low and slow for sure.
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    No. That in the pic is a massive breaking knife. They don't come any larger. The knife I left for you is a true slicer. But I personally did the hollow grind work on it. The knife I left for you is 2 inches longer than the big breaker. I think you will like it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch

@SGH Would this be the one?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Who ended up with the Ozark Oak? @SGH‌. . @nolaegghead‌?
  • SGH said:
    @‌Austin Egghead I will be glad too brother.

she's a sister.

He can call me anything he likes except late for diner....His food looked awesome.  Hope he is coming to Salado
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    1 more dozen for for brother Tar and brother Phatimage

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    edited September 2014
    Hotch said:

I must admit I was not a fan nof hot and fast brisket prior to the "Camp" but after this weekend I know now I can make it happen. We will see you in Salado.

I'm still not a fan of hot and fast but the event kind of called for it so that's how we rolled. Next time will be low and slow for sure.
    I agree. Next time someone asks for brisket the same day, I am good to go. Thanks to nolaegghead, Cen-Tex and SGH.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    @nolaegghead‌ I'm sure you had a lot of planning and a great amount if work involved with this one. From the pics it looked and sounded like a fantastic time had by all. I hope to make next years if there's another... Great job and thanks for sharing with all!!!
  • I'll throw this in- NOLA paid for this out of his pocket (and it was significant). If you attended and have a few bucks to throw toward the cause, PM NOLA and make amends. He hasnt asked for a nickel but if you have a little, give a little. If you don't, then good on you for coming. That is all.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'll throw this in- NOLA paid for this out of his pocket (and it was significant). If you attended and have a few bucks to throw toward the cause, PM NOLA and make amends. He hasnt asked for a nickel but if you have a little, give a little. If you don't, then good on you for coming. That is all.
    I was wonderin about that.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    I'd say he had at least a few thousand wrapped up in it. If were lucky and this thing has wheels we'll need to come up with a plan for that.
  • henapple said:

I'd say he had at least a few thousand wrapped up in it. If were lucky and this thing has wheels we'll need to come up with a plan for that.

It was north of $3k.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mail the man a check. He puts on an INSANE party. This will be an annual event, for sure.
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    I know for a fact that brother Nola has a little over 4 grand invested. I myself am going to give and give generously. I feel that I should. This was a great thing that he did for us all. The Good Book says: Give and it shall be given unto you. That is a quote from the true undefeated heavyweight BBQ champ of all time- brother Jesus.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @‌Austin Egghead
    Sister if we are complete with all the umbilical work off shore I will be in Salado. It's going to be close either way. Would be my honor to meet you sister.

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Seriously.... someone send me a name and address for NOLA.
    I'll chip in a Fiftyspot for just watching this on the internet from Peoria Arizona!!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SGH
    @henapple‌
    I told brother Nola to keep it. He snuck half of it on my trailer before I drove off. So now I have half as does he.
    That was a fine gift brother Apple. I will send your chickens out as soon as they freeze my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @henapple‌
    Brother Apple what idiot told you that you could apply more rub late in the cook to even out the bark? He doesn't know what he is talking about. That could not possibly work my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Maybe I had too much to drink.
  • SGH
    Unit 1 and the Party Monster both made it home safe.image

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @SGH Did Party Monster ride back in the trailer along with Unit 1?  :-?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Glad everyone survived and made it home safe. There were "n" people who were actually at the event and there will be 100"n" people who claimed they were at the event. I am truly in awe of the cooking that occurred, the pics and descriptions of the cooks make it EPIC. Kudos to @NOLA, @SGH, @Cen-Tex Smoker for all of their work on this event, and to all the others I might have missed. The rest of us stand on the shoulders of giants such as you.

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited September 2014
    SGH said:

@henapple‌
    Brother Apple what idiot told you that you could apply more rub late in the cook to even out the bark? He doesn't know what he is talking about. That could not possibly work my friend ;)

Agreed. That guy must be a total asshat. :)).
  • SGH
    @DMW‌
    I let him ride up front for the ride home. 2 nights ago Party Monster and Brother Apple was riding around the streets of NO in trailer drinking beef and smoking cigars. I'm not sure that was a cigar Party Monster was smoking. Had a strong and powerful smell to it.

Status- Standing by.