Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That was fun.  Boy am I tired.  Our lawyers were onsite and haven't received any calls from authorities about party monster, CT, beaker, or any of the other attendees outside of a few complaints surrounding a dispute arising from patrons from the bar next door getting all "jelly" about the meat fest, band, open bar and the cornucopia of side dishes generously made by the locals.   Our lawyers also made the vegetarian chili, and henapple had three mouthfulls of it before someone told him it didn't have any meat in it.  It was really funny when he spit it out his nose and mouth.  Sorta like telling a tired person in the morning before a shift they just drank a cup of decaff. 

We got our sleep number bed today and I'm going to hit it right now.  Tomorrow we need to unload the site.  We transitioned to bicycles around noon to avoid property damage to the neighborhood.  I don't really know where the truck is parked, but I'll scout out the area and should find it. 

I had a blast and the band was beyond excellent.  We made them to-go boxes.  I want to thank everyone for coming out and working hard to make this what it was.  Exceeds expectations. @SGH - I don't know how we could spend so much time together cooking and I still haven't seen your face. Maybe you are me.  Or maybe not.  I'm still confused about that.
    @eggcelsior - call me after 11 and maybe y'all can hook up with us to schedule our group angioplasty. 
    So disappointed I wasn't there....
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2014
    DMW said:
    So disappointed I wasn't there....

What DMW said, but i have to admit this had to be one of the best online party i have ever attended. Thank yall so much and thank you Honey and Hotch for the emails and pictures thru out the day. Hope to see all yall in Salado.
    ^:)^ =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Is there a dates set for next year yet?   [-O<

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    You guys ate so much you might end up 'permanently disabled'
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I bet you'll be going through just as many pounds of toilet paper the next few days!
    Dunedin, FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Our lawyers also made the vegetarian chili, and henapple had three mouthfulls of it before someone told him it didn't have any meat in it. 

I knew I tasted eggplant in that chili.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    To everyone who has pics of my face, feel free to now post them at will my friends. You have my blessing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @JRWhitee‌
    Not only will there be one in NO next year, if things go well there will be one just this side of Biloxi Ms. as well. I hear that some guy named Nola will be cooking at the one just this side of Biloxi. ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Some random photos.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    And what would a party be without a Party Monster. I give you SGH Jr. A true party animal. Sun burnt and passed out. image

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    SGH said:

Some random photos.

RIP Joan!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    Agreed sir.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I guess I'll pull the trigger. @SGH‌ and his lovely wife. (She's purty nuff to sell bge tables) Good folks. She'll drink a PBR with you and he'll cook all day and night. He's real. Now we can go find Bigfoot. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    henapple said:

I guess I'll pull the trigger. @SGH‌ and his lovely wife. (She's purty nuff to sell bge tables) Good folks. She'll drink a PBR with you and he'll cook all day and night. He's real. Now we can go find Bigfoot. ..

Good stuff. I did real-ly wish he was 89! However, that would have been pretty sad if y'all watched him cook all day.
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Oh @SGH‌ for someone who claimed claimed to struggle with brisket, it looks like you did a damn fine job. =D>

Also, your lovely bride is clearly with you for your cooking abilities! :P Okay, now I feel better. I had to choke that first sentence out...now everything is back in balance. :-\"
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    For all the briskets that got cooked, were any of them 'special'? And what I mean was were these just go to the store and get brisket from the meat case or were some/all extra prime? I've never cooked one but a local restaurant makes some that I would love to be able to replicate. I'm intimidated by the thought of cooking one.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    @Hibby‌
    I cooked 4 select and 4 choice grade Walmart packers. 1 SRF Wagyu and 1 "secret" brisket. And 1 corned brisket that someone brought and asked me to cook. Brother Tex cooked 2 Wagyu. Nola cooked a Wagyu.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    SGH said:

@Hibby‌
    I cooked 4 select and 4 choice grade Walmart packers. 1 SRF Wagyu and 1 "secret" brisket. And 1 corned brisket that someone brought and asked me to cook. Brother Tex cooked 2 Wagyu. Nola cooked a Wagyu.

How did you like the Sous Vide brisket? That was one that really intrigued me every time Nola has mentioned it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Screw the brisket. ..the stuffed chicken was the best thing cooked.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    henapple said:

Screw the brisket. ..the stuffed chicken was the best thing cooked.

It looked pretty f'n tasty!!
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    Let me try to explain. Having eaten only traditional brisket my whole life, the SV brisket "felt" un natural to me. Both in hand and mouth. Nonetheless the final product was a perfect 10 in taste. The feel just messed with my head.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    Let me try to explain. Having eaten only traditional brisket my whole life, the SV brisket "felt" un natural to me. Both in hand and mouth. Nonetheless the final product was a perfect 10 in taste. The feel just messed with my head.

I'm sure the texture was much different. Everyone raves about sous vide chicken, but the texture was off to me the first time I did it. I've had better success going a lil longer at a higher temp since then.
  • SGH
    @cazzy‌
    Again the taste and moisture was spot on for sure. Just not being one who is familiar with SV food it felt strange and un natural to me. Different texture for sure. But truely excellent in taste.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Random pics.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,559
    Contributing to what is likely the highest post count of any thread in the history of the forum.  Thanks to all would enjoyed the camp.  Now for us pedestrians, we eagerly await the brisket lessons learned from such an epic function.  Of course, that presumes there were new lessons to be had.  
    Enjoy recovery day!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nice to put a face with you now @SGH‌ .. Definitely would like to shake hands with you someday.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    I'm loading up for the journey back to just this side of Biloxi. When I get home tonight I will gladly share the procedure I used to spit out whole packers in 4 hours. It's quite a bit of typing.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Thank you brother Tar. It would be my honor my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    @piney‌ I believe you judging by all the great encouragement and other things they post to help.... I would have loved to be there with you all.... If I get enough notice next year I'll keep it in my plans for sure!!! Judging by these photos awesome food, music, and some great folks.....