Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Acn said:

Last night’s pasta all’Amatriciana.  Gonna make duck breast, cheese grits, and roasted beet and carrot salad for dinner tonight.  SWMBO Jr did most of the work on a German chocolate cake that’ll be desert.

Whole lot of awesome right there. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Going to step up my pizza game. 3.5 lbs of Italian sausage. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:

Last night’s pasta all’Amatriciana.  Gonna make duck breast, cheese grits, and roasted beet and carrot salad for dinner tonight.  SWMBO Jr did most of the work on a German chocolate cake that’ll be desert.

Whole lot of awesome right there. 
    Thanks @gatraveller!  SWMBO Jr has been working through All About Cake by Christina Tosi, this is her 3rd cake (the dulce de leche cake was amazing), and she’s making chocolate cupcakes for the second time today, but those will get walked over to some neighbors.

The recipes are involved, but all have been phenomenal, and if I need to have cake around to keep her off her phone for a few hours every weekend, that’s a sacrifice I’m ready to make.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Tri tip going in the sv. Hit it with a couple favorites of @YukonRon and @Foghorn

That looks like a winning combo right there @ColtsFan.  Let me know what you think of the Chupacabra Steak rub.  I look forward to seeing the result.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Detroit style pizza. Sauce from The Elements of Pizza, dough from Serious Eats. It did not suck. 
    Damn Griffin that is awesome!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Lobster tails - blanched in boiling water 60 seconds, ice bath, and removed from shells. Sous vide in butter for 30 minutes at 138. 

Next time I’ll give them a little char on a raging hot grill. But overall, texture was perfect. And I liked having all the shells off ahead of time. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ryantt said:
    nothing fancy, just a yard bird by Norah Grace 

I see she is still an incredible cook 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Leftover hen and sausage gumbo. Didn’t get above 30 today. We’re 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. This doesn’t happen frequently 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Serious Eats 30 minute Instant Pot pho ga.  Take that, polar vortex.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Pizza Hut Detroit style pizza. Sad I know. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    ryantt said:
    nothing fancy, just a yard bird by Norah Grace 

Glad to see her still engaged and nailing every cook she takes on.  What a passion and skill-set.  
    Better to be lucky than good but I suspect she is getting pulled in a few more directions now.  Good luck with that... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Had a pack of those tomatoes on the vine that were about to go bad.  I cooked them down and threw them into the fridge thinking they will come in handy.  And they did.
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:

@Acn, that looks like it deserves its own thread.  At a minimum, we need some words to 'splain it to us simple folk.
    Thanks @foghorn!  I won't do a full thread because my part (the dinner plate) was pretty easy and straightforward.  Score the duck fat, season both sides w/ salt & pepper, sear fat side down, flip, and into a 350 degree oven until around 135 IT.  For the grits, I just cooked quality stone ground grits per package directions, and finished with about 3/4 cup of mixed pecorino romano and white cheddar.  The veg was roasted beets and carrots, dressed with a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, shallot, honey, and cumin; finished right before serving with lemon zest, parsley, and chopped pistachios.

Now the cake was done primarily by my daughter.  She made all the components (and there are a bunch), with an assist from my wife when it came to assembly.  It came from 'All About Cake' by Christina Tosi, of Milk Bar fame.  It is German Chocolate, and goes, from bottom to top - cake layer (brushed with chocolate cake soak),  coconut crack, pecan crunch, frosting, cake layer (brushed with chocolate cake soak), coconut crack, pecan crunch, frosting, cake layer, frosting, toasted sweetened coconut.  It is outrageously good.

Here is the full cake recipe should anyone be interested.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• blind99
    Options
    @ACn that duck looks fanastic.  and the cake, wow!  

nola, we have a house meatball recipe that is closely guarded but i'll share.  ground chicken and loose johnsonville italian sausage, in equal parts, + a bit of egg to bind it together.  damn fine meatball :)
  • blind99
    Options
    @botch man that looks great!

i think the tomato in CI is 100% fine.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Wife made a bolognese spaghetti sauce last night with ground turkey. Was the gamiest turkey ive ever eaten (even more so than a wild turkey). It was so bad no one would eat it except me. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Acn said:

This all looks incredible, but I think I need deets on the cake.  Damn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike