Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    shtgunal3 said:

I'm assuming you water your garden with that beverage and a real man's drink is just out of the camera shot </troll_comment >

@shtgunal3

I can't talk.  I've been drinking Carona.

Your ribs look amazing! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Ma-ma-ma-my Carona!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    @kl8ton that’s one beer that I don’t care much for. I do like Sol. That is a very good cerveza. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    @poster that looks fantastic!
  • Runamuck
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I'm about as close as I'll ever get to reverse engineering Pizza Hut's pan pizza circa '80s/'90s. The taste - and most importantly - texture, is spot on.  Why though? Well, Pizza Hut was my first love as a child and I get an occasional craving for that greasy fried dough that's somehow both crunchy and soft at the same time. Still makes me wanna vomit after over-eating. 

Would you be willing to share your dough recipe? I would kill for that taste and feel again! I make a hell of a pizza sometimes, but that is the crust I'm after and just haven't been able to do it! I agree, they were the best.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Runamuck

The recipe started as one of those "Top Secret Recipes" that I've tweaked over time. The base recipe was surprisingly spot on (probably 90%), but I've closed the gap with minor tweaks to the point where I probably couldn't tell a difference if someone delivered one from 1993. 

The Deep Dish Pan

Equipment matters in this. You can use cast iron if you have a pan large enough. I own 2 actual Pizza Hut deep dish pans that I overpaid for on Ebay. I'm assuming from an employee that stole them.  Luckily, Vollrath now makes clones that are identical minus the Pizza Hut branding on the bottom. They're also much, much cheaper and you don't have to get them on the black market.

https://www.katom.com/175-6714HC.html

Pizza Hut - Sauce 

• one 6-ounce can tomato paste
    • 1 cup water, brought to a boil
    • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
    • ½ teaspoon onion powder
    • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1  teaspoon salt
    • 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Combine all dry ingredients with boiling water in a small saucepan to rehydrate, let steep for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Place over medium heat. When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce the heat and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes. Cover the sauce, and let it cool while the dough rises.

---------------------------------------------

Pizza Hut - Pan Crust 

Makes a single 14-15” pan pizza

• 500 grams bread flour
    • 300 grams water (10.5 ounces)
    • 1/4 cup non-fat dry milk powder
    • 1 tablespoon sugar 
    • 1 ½ tsp table salt
    • 1 ½ tsp instant yeast (not active dry)
    • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (for dough, not pan)

Mix all dry ingredients in stand mixer, add water & oil and knead ~10 minutes. Remove dough and knead by hand on counter until smooth ball is formed. Coat dough with thin layer of olive oil and place it back into the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour in warm oven (80-90F).  

Swirl deep dish pizza pan with olive oil in tight spiral pattern, starting at center and ending at edges, between ¼ and ½ cup oil (you need more than you think to fry dough for proper texture).  This steps important. You'll think it's too much oil, but it's not. 

Gently remove dough from mixing bowl and stretch dough on counter, forming it into circle a little bigger than the pizza pan. Let it rest in that shape on the counter for a few minutes to relax the gluten. This will prevent it from shrinking back once you transfer it to the slick oil-covered pan.   

Now place stretched dough into the pan, form crust ring with your fingers by pressing into the corners of the pan around the perimeter, stretching the dough out from the center as needed so the dough is fully stretched to the edges. Now, coat the top of dough with thin layer of more oil. This is going to seen excessive, but this is how you get the soft top and wonderful contrast to the crunchy bottom.  

Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rest 1 hour until puffy. It’ll look greasy, but that’s ok. It’s Pizza Hut... if there's any large pools of oil on the top you can blot them off with a paper towel. 

Go ahead and start preheating your oven at 500F w/baking steel (if using).

***When dough is risen and oven & steel are fully preheated***

Press dough down slightly with fingertips reforming crust ring as needed. Spread thin layer of sauce evenly over dough, getting some on the crust for genuine pizza hut sloppiness. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add shredded mozzarella and pepperoni, making sure at least some of the mozzarella is scattered over the crust and touching the edge of the pan. Spray top of crust ring with cooking spray.  This will aid the crust blisters, those small bubbles that form in the crust as it bakes.

Bake 500F

Notes: 

If using thin aluminum deep dish pans (my preference), preheat a baking steel and set pizza pan directly on top of steel. This will help transfer the heat it needs to fry the bottom properly. If you don't have a steel you can use a stone, but I've never tested it. I don't imagine it will work as well. 

If using a cast iron pan, omit the baking steel/stone. If the bottom doesn't get as browned as you like, you can always finish it off on the stove top at the end. Probably won't be necessary though.  

1lb block low moisture part-skim milk mozzarella per pizza. Polly-O or Galbani work great. You can use Boar's Head from the deli but it's a lot more expensive. Avoid the pre-shredded bagged stuff.  

Use proper cheap Hormel pepperoni or equivalent. 

Use proper cheap parmesan cheese, the stuff in a can w/the green lid will do.

Anything more high falutin would be uncivil. 

***Doubling recipe*** 

Double both dough and sauce ingredients and knead as instructed in stand mixer.

After hand kneading step, divide dough in half, form each into a tight ball and let rise directly inside 2 lightly oiled pizza pans, lightly covered with plastic wrap. Your stand mixer bowl probably isn't big enough for the initial bulk rise, so we're doing that step inside the pizza pans instead. 

For the Breadstick Seasoning:

• 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    • 1¾ teaspoons garlic powder
    • 1½ teaspoons dried basil
    • ½ teaspoon salt

Use the same dough recipe for the breadsticks, but form & bake in rectangle pan, sliced into sticks. 

I can't remember if I added the seasoning before or after baking. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Botch said:
    Breakfast Tots!
    My local grocer had these cool, single-serving Lodge pan thingies, and the day after I bought one, Sam The Cooking Guy™ came thru with this recipe, which was perfect.

I spread out about a dozen tots in my new cast-iron dish, into the toaster oven, meanwhile fried up some mexican chorizo (not spanish/portuguese) along with some minced green pepper.  
    When the tots were crispy I spread the chorizo mixture on top, then a handful of mexican cheese, and back under the broiler to melt.  Here Sam poached an egg to put on top, but since I already had a frypan warm and slicked up with that wonderful spicy red chorizo grease, I fried the egg instead; intended as a sunny-side up, but because I took the trouble to pull out my camera, my thumb went thru the yolk, gah.  Here's a pic, pre-egg:  

This was pretty tasty, and the cast iron kept the food hot from start to finish; this'll be going into my regular breakfast rotation.  
    That sounds awesome, Botch. Thanks for the idea. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    poster said:
    Beef tenderloin with crab/scallop/shrimp bernaise, some big crab legs and asparagus for color 
    Dude!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I'm about as close as I'll ever get to reverse engineering Pizza Hut's pan pizza circa '80s/'90s. The taste - and most importantly - texture, is spot on.  Why though? Well, Pizza Hut was my first love as a child and I get an occasional craving for that greasy fried dough that's somehow both crunchy and soft at the same time. Still makes me wanna vomit after over-eating. 
    Those look amazing. Pizza Hut use to actually be very good all things considered. Do you by chance remember the Priazzo they made in the 80’s? That was incredible. Wish they would bring it back. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Botch said:
    Breakfast Tots!
    My local grocer had these cool, single-serving Lodge pan thingies, and the day after I bought one, Sam The Cooking Guy™ came thru with this recipe, which was perfect.

I spread out about a dozen tots in my new cast-iron dish, into the toaster oven, meanwhile fried up some mexican chorizo (not spanish/portuguese) along with some minced green pepper.  
    When the tots were crispy I spread the chorizo mixture on top, then a handful of mexican cheese, and back under the broiler to melt.  Here Sam poached an egg to put on top, but since I already had a frypan warm and slicked up with that wonderful spicy red chorizo grease, I fried the egg instead; intended as a sunny-side up, but because I took the trouble to pull out my camera, my thumb went thru the yolk, gah.  Here's a pic, pre-egg:  

This was pretty tasty, and the cast iron kept the food hot from start to finish; this'll be going into my regular breakfast rotation.  
    I have a couple of these and love them in the wood oven. I make ABT’s, bacon wrapped dates, baked brie, amd all kinds of stuff in them. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited February 2021
    Options

1/2 inch steak after I cut a 1 inch steak in half.
    Options

Bought all you need! What's in the right bowl?

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bubbajack said:

Bought all you need! What's in the right bowl?

Some tomato vegetable soup SWMBO made (huge batch) the other day.  Been working on it...
    Options
    Options
    The Swedish Chef is the only Muppet with human hands.  Fun kid fact.
    Options
    The Swedish Chef is the only Muppet with human hands.  Fun kid fact.
    And yet he has no rectum 😱

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Mrs DM made chicken pot pie. 
    She knocked it out of the park. That pie looks outstanding 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Trying to cook some of SWMBO’s favorites this weekend so tonight was Duck a l’Orange duck camp style. Served over garlic mashed potatoes with ratatouille and some black pepper biscuits. Dinner didn’t suck!

Nice work, wife should be happy.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle