Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
     a bit of sodium citrate) and SV'ed a pork tenderloin. 

All you going modernist cuisine on us? Doesn't that require a set of measuring spoons, scales, and such?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Just some dead yard bird in the skillet.

This is one of my favorite meals with a whole chicken. The potatoes, garlic and onions are incredible in the roasted juices of the chicken 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
     a bit of sodium citrate) and SV'ed a pork tenderloin. 

All you going modernist cuisine on us? Doesn't that require a set of measuring spoons, scales, and such?
    I abandoned the recipe when I saw that it called for 3 lbs of taters, but only *2* cloves of garlic. Winged it from there. 

And here’s the “measuring” spoon (one of caliprince’s baby spoons) 😬

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options

...basically everything had softened or dissolved into obscurity at that point. 
    I think less liquid, less Worcestershire and trimming out the large fat blocks before the cook and larger pepper slices is something I may try next time.  most of my veggies disappeared during the cooking down with lid off. The Chuck was soft before the cook down— as evidenced by me eating chewing tobacco sized pulls every time I opened the grill and loving each one. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
     Wagyu Chuck and sirloin flap fajitas, street corn, 3 salsas, pico, guac. Dang sideways and out of order pics. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Perhaps I’m a confused adult because of this. My parents called Miracle Whip mayonnaise - and I could see that it clearly said salad dressing. Yet we never put it on salads. And I didn’t know what real mayonnaise tasted like. Did it taste like miracle whip? Why didn’t we actually use mayonnaise? Was this a secret? Were my parents unable to read the label? Were we poor? Was Miracle Whip better? #ermagerd
    I am sad to learn of your parents oversight. I am happy to send you some Dukes (Gallon Jug of it) to help overcome your tarnished past. You can't head into the summer (think BLT's) without it my friend. Here to help right a wrong, Note, I am sure your parents were fine folks. Please know i mean them no harm.  #Neveragin
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    anyone chef-around with the chili crisp, its lacking in heat and maybe salt. like the texture and oil drizzle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    anyone chef-around with the chili crisp, its lacking in heat and maybe salt. like the texture and oil drizzle
    I have not chef'd it into a dish while cooking, just using as a condiment.  The spousal unit doesn't like it so...

I went through the big jar and I'm on my second smaller Trader Joe's jar.  The Trader Joe's isn't as good, but still more than decent.

I'm totally into it, although I agree with your about the heat and salt. Both problems are easily fixed.

Options
    I have not chef'd it into a dish while cooking, just using as a condiment.  The spousal unit doesn't like it so...

I went through the big jar and I'm on my second smaller Trader Joe's jar.  The Trader Joe's isn't as good, but still more than decent.

I'm totally into it, although I agree with your about the heat and salt. Both problems are easily fixed.

i can eat it straight from the jar. put it on the egg dish in the other thread and cooked it on the swiss, thought it would pop thru more on the swiss, next time it gets stepped up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I might try a few grinds of the ghost pepper from Trader Joe’s in their chili crisp, let it sit for a week.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @fishlessman - The Lao Gan Ma brand is quite mild. Nice texture though. Here's a review of some of the popular brands that I came across recently.

https://www.eater.com/22308176/best-chili-crisps-lao-gan-ma-momofuku-fly-by-jing-pantry-essential

There are a bunch of recipes to make your own, too (Serious Eats, Bon Appetit, etc.), so you could always tailor it to your taste.

I've made the chili oil which @The Cen-Tex Smoker posted about a while back, and its pretty damn good. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-q14tZeXiU

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @northGAcock Thank you kindly. Children are resilient. I may not be "normal" but I don't think I suffered too greatly over this parenting issue. I actually have Dukes in the refrigerator at this moment. I have progressed even to making my own mayonaise and aioli in my mortar on occasion.
    My mother would not be offended by your comments. By her own admission she disliked cooking. She was able to cook, but took no pleasure in it. Her parents actually ate out every day for lunch and dinner (and most breakfasts) for all the years I knew them. They lived in a small community in far West Texas. They signed the ticket for each meal and paid the bill at the end of the month. I have no memory of my grandmother ever cooking a single thing in all the years I knew her.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    excellent response to a hyperbolic offer
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bubbajack
    Options
    Warmed up some thighs I cooked last night and some swai. Dizzy pig tusnami. 

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Warmed up some thighs I cooked last night and some swai. Dizzy pig tusnami. 

Love the look of that chicken. Beautiful char. 
  • bubbajack
    Options
    It was tasty. Did not get the temps for the fish that I would have liked but it was really good as well!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - that plated photo is a great shot.  I'm sure the groceries were even better.  Nailed that cook.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    What's the cheat?  I love injera.