Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    back to kewpie, they  changed the recipe 3 years ago and dropped the msg in the us.

then theres this ;)

The Takeout's Kevin Pang even compared the Japanese condiment to "a freshly whipped homemade batch of Miracle Whip." America has had its own version of Kewpie since 2017, when Kewpie's U.S.-based subsidiary began making its own mayonnaise (without MSG).

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    They still use msg, just hide it behind "Yeast Extract". 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    They still use msg, just hide it behind "Yeast Extract". 

thats good to know so i dont have to add it myself. its probably hidden in the miracle whip as well
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Technically, I think they hide manure in Miracle Whip. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    I'm on a diet so relying on condiments to fill in flavor for otherwise bland food. Never heard of Nando's before but apparently it's a South African chain of chicken joints. The hot sauce is fantastic. It's quite unlike any hot sauce I've tried. 

• fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    I'm on a diet so relying on condiments to fill in flavor for otherwise bland food. Never heard of Nando's before but apparently it's a South African chain of chicken joints. The hot sauce is fantastic. It's quite unlike any hot sauce I've tried. 

portuguese staple, cant find it unless im south of boston
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    I just ordered 4 bottles on Amazon for $24. Slightly more expensive than Fresh Market, but saves me an hour drive. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    SonVolt said:

Went to one of their restaurants in Chicago. Good fried chicken. My local Kroger carries their line up and use it occasionally for wing sauce. The garlic one is top notch. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    SonVolt said:

portuguese staple, cant find it unless im south of boston
    I mail ordered some through Amazon a couple of years ago. The 4 bottle variety pack but I really like the garlic flavor.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I'll third the liking of Nando's garlic sauce. It's the only Nando's sauce I always have on hand.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    SonVolt said:

It's great stuff! I used to live in South Africa ... and yes, it's a franchise ... good quality in the "fast food" category ... if you can call it that (because it's much better than typical fast food).

There's other peri peri sauces ... and another thing ... there's a dish, called Chicken Livers Peri Peri ... if you guys like Chicken Livers, try it ... it's like crack cocaine to the Portuguese. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    I just ordered 4 bottles on Amazon for $24. Slightly more expensive than Fresh Market, but saves me an hour drive. 

just ordered 2 of medium and two garlic.

was tempted to get the perimaise made with eggyolk ;)
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Who knew Kewpie was so divisive. I have a small jar and use it for the vinegary tang I dont get from Hellmann's. Seemed apropos.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Who knew Kewpie was so divisive. I have a small jar and use it for the vinegary tang I dont get from Hellmann's. Seemed apropos.

i would use it, but somehow its gotten chef status fame. i use miracle whip pretty much on hard salami sandwiches and mayo on most others. hellmanns used to be my go to, they changed the recipe about ten years or so ago so now i buy caines. i dont know how any mayo gets chef status other than homemade by a chef
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    It’s always the miracle whip people that cause the problems.
  • SonVolt
    #TeamBlueplate
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

i would use it, but somehow its gotten chef status fame. i use miracle whip pretty much on hard salami sandwiches and mayo on most others. hellmanns used to be my go to, they changed the recipe about ten years or so ago so now i buy caines. i dont know how any mayo gets chef status other than homemade by a chef
    I had no clue there was any other mayo than Hellmanns until I started dating my wife who is straight Blue Plate. That gives us something real to fight about. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Legume said:

its the miracle whip people that were scorned by society pushing the kewpie
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume said:

its the miracle whip people that were scorned by society pushing the kewpie
    Hahaha - that’s just the hipster version of miracle whip scorn.  I remember this argument from the 70s and 80s, but it was more personal then, no internet mayo forums.  The miracle-whip-kids had to trade sandwiches amongst themselves at school.  

Nobody traded with the room temp tuna fish kid.
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2021
    I bet if you drew a Venn diagram between the people that buy Miracle Whip and Margarine, it would be a perfect circle. 
  • Legume
    SonVolt said:
    I bet if you drew a Venn diagram between the people that buy Miracle Whip and Margarine, it would be a perfect circle. 
    Is there a trendy margerine brand yet?  This may be an opportunity.
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2021
    SonVolt said:

youve never had a spam spread, goobers peanut butter and grape jelly,miracle whip sandwich on an onion roll. salty sweet tangy savory heaven =)
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt

• fishlessman
    SonVolt said:

that sandwich is a hard sell =)
    fukahwee maine

• caliking said:
    caliprince, doctor to a thriving clinic of stuffed animals/plush toys, chef-ed this last night...

Baked pasta thing, from his cookbook - beet fusilli, san marzano tomato sauce, Parmesan, shredded mozz, mushrooms, and some other stuff. 

Had a blast cooking with him. Good enough that the fam voted to put in the regular rotation :) 
    Awesome. Also, he published a cookbook?! 🙃
  • Cabbage, onions, potatoes, bacon with some Guinness for good measure. Also doing pepper stout beef sandwiches. 

I like where this is headed. Finished pics please and thank you.