Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    SonVolt said:

Fried testies?

thats what happens when you use the OO flour
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,044
    SonVolt said:

Fried testies?

thats what happens when you use the OO flour

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    Breaded octopus, was my guess.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,179
    lousubcap said:
    The ribs I cooked tonight are the beef back ribs-the same general anatomy for the cow as the pork back ribs for a pig.  The whole section of ribs 6-7 bones weigh around 3-4 lbs NAMP # 124.  
    Beef plate ribs are the home of the dino bones - NAMP #123A.  When I get these-they run 7-8 lbs for 3 bones.  This cut is the home of "brisket on a stick."
    Beef chuck short ribs are NAMP 130 designated and are the 3-4 inch long ribs with the meat on top of the bone that you normally find called short ribs.
    BTW- NAMP is the North American Meat Processors Association.  Next time you visit your local butcher, speak in NAMP numbers- judge the reaction/response.
    That's way more than I need to process tonight.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Last time I asked for 3 or 4 bone NAMP 123A, I got a blank stare.  I was crest fallen.  I left with salmon.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,458
    @Wolfpack - that looks and sounds outstanding 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Acn said:
    Rice bowl with collards, ribeye, and a corn remoulade.

I love what you've done here. What's on the collards and can you tell me more about the corn?
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2021
    @Ozzie_Isaac Our butcher at the local grocery tells my wife I always ask for “weird stuff”. That because I call cuts by name or ask for meat by the NAMP #.  
    Case in point I recently ask if he could get pork collar - he had no idea what I was talking about. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Most grocery store "butchers" are not real butchers.  They know enough to do their jobs through some targeted training.  
    SciAggie said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac Our butcher at the local grocery tells my wife I always ask for “weird stuff”. That because I call cuts by name or ask for meat by the NAMP #.  
    Case in point I recently ask if he could get pork collar - he had no idea what I was talking about. 
    I make a general assumption that butchers love meat and their occupation as much as I do and want to learn more and talk about it.  I have met one grocery store butcher who is that way.  The other ones have been just making a paycheck.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Cookies look great.  Looks like the flag team lost a member, or at least he forgot the password to one of his accounts.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Acn said:
    Rice bowl with collards, ribeye, and a corn remoulade.

I love what you've done here. What's on the collards and can you tell me more about the corn?
    @trippleripple - thanks!  The collards were just sautéed in olive oil with onion and cider vinegar, I topped with a hot sauce from a local restaurant, but it is just peppers, vinegar, and salt, so any vinegar forward bot sauce would work.

For the corn we sautéed 2 cups of frozen corn in a tablespoon and a half of butter, until cooked and slightly charred, let cool, and then mixed with 1/4 c of this general remoulade.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:

Short rib ragu started.  All I’ll need to do tonight is shred those, skim some fat, and cook some rigatoni.
    Boneless beef short ribs?  Is that a jarred marinara?  Sounds really good and simple.  Pics of finished product?
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Acn said:

Short rib ragu started.  All I’ll need to do tonight is shred those, skim some fat, and cook some rigatoni.
    Boneless beef short ribs?  Is that a jarred marinara?  Sounds really good and simple.  Pics of finished product?
    I’ll try and remember to grab a plated pic, the cooking should be done around 5:30, but you are correct on the boneless short ribs.  It’s actually tomato purée, it comes from an America’s Test Kitchen slow cooker book.  It is really easy, quick to pull together, and like lots of crock pot meals, makes the house smell good all day.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn said:
    Acn said:

I’ll try and remember to grab a plated pic, the cooking should be done around 5:30, but you are correct on the boneless short ribs.  It’s actually tomato purée, it comes from an America’s Test Kitchen slow cooker book.  It is really easy, quick to pull together, and like lots of crock pot meals, makes the house smell good all day.

Thank you sir.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 847
    Pizza, and found out it was stuck to the pan in the middle when I tried to get it out.  Still tastes good, just eating with a fork.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    No pics, so it probably didn't happen.
    I thawed the other half of my bourbon/bacon meat loaf I posted a few weeks ago, and made a sammich on sourdough with butter and mayo.  Very good, but I should've toasted the sourdough first.  
    Tomorrow.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    No pics, so it probably didn't happen.
    I thawed the other half of my bourbon/bacon meat loaf I posted a few weeks ago, and made a sammich on sourdough with butter and mayo.  Very good, but I should've toasted the sourdough first.  
    Tomorrow.  
    Butter and mayo!  Drizzle some olive oil and you have a party.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    SciAggie said:
    Some charcuterie and cheese first. Then a batch of fried oysters. Not a bad way to end the day. Chased down by plenty of adult beverages. 
    The recipe for anyone interested:

Incredible from star to finish. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @GATraveller Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Need more wok hei.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,761

Sideways paneed fried chicken. Not shown is the fettuccine that was also served.