Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    Made jambalaya yesterday for the first time in a long time, wondered why I hadn't made it in so long.

Heated up some leftovers today, and now I remember why: this is kinda nasty reheated, the veggies go limp, the rice blows apart and the andouille gets tough.  
    I guess there's no reason not to just cook a single serving at a time (1/2 stalk of celery, 1/4 green bell, 1/4 red bell, one sausage, etc); that's pretty much how I do chinese food.  Next time...

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Botch said:
    Made jambalaya yesterday for the first time in a long time, wondered why I hadn't made it in so long.

Heated up some leftovers today, and now I remember why: this is kinda nasty reheated, the veggies go limp, the rice blows apart and the andouille gets tough.  
    I guess there's no reason not to just cook a single serving at a time (1/2 stalk of celery, 1/4 green bell, 1/4 red bell, one sausage, etc); that's pretty much how I do chinese food.  Next time...
    Wait till you get shrimps exploding with curry gravy 😂
    Next time try steaming it. Great looking plate btw.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,179
    Botch said:

Vacuum bag and sous vide leftovers.  You can put them in the freezer to harden up before you pull a vacuum, unless you have a chamber sealer.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    Canugghead said:
    Wait till you get shrimps exploding with curry gravy 😂

I did finally get smart enough to add just enough shrimp for that meal, and make sure I fished them all out for plating.  Gotta love peeled, individ-frozen shrimp when you're cooking for one.  

• Botch
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Vacuum bag and sous vide leftovers.  You can put them in the freezer to harden up before you pull a vacuum, unless you have a chamber sealer.
    I've got neither, nor do I have room in my kitchen for any other toys (I really need to go thru cupboards and throw useless stuff out, like my career-spanning collection of commemorative coffee mugs (I don't drink coffee)).    

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good, but the Jambalaya we cook, in my experience, reheats fine.  Usually the vegetables are thoroughly cooked and not crunchy.  I just finished off the last of a huge batch Bridget cooked last weekend.  Was as good as the day she made it.
    Looks good, but the Jambalaya we cook, in my experience, reheats fine.  Usually the vegetables are thoroughly cooked and not crunchy.  I just finished off the last of a huge batch Bridget cooked last weekend.  Was as good as the day she made it.
    I second this, as will @SGH, and any other southerner on this forum. Brown meat, sweat veggies, add liquid, add uncooked rice. No tomatoes in mine, but whatever floats your boat. No shrimp either 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,612
    How do you pronounce this word you type...... leftovers.   It's it French? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,761
    kl8ton said:
    I know folks that refuse to eat leftovers. They literally throw any extra food away. I just shake my head. I always cook enough for at least 2 meals, and the meal is always better on the second time around
  • nolaegghead
    ColbyLang said:
    I second this, as will @SGH, and any other southerner on this forum. Brown meat, sweat veggies, add liquid, add uncooked rice. No tomatoes in mine, but whatever floats your boat. No shrimp either 
    Yeah, we almost never add shrimp unless we're looking to get rid of some.  This may be heresy, but shrimp is almost a trash/filler protein over here unless you can cook it correctly - BBQ or fried in a po-boy.

We're pretty much mostly cajun style with chicken or turkey and andouillle or some other pork-based sausage in our Jambalaya.  But there's no right or wrong, it's like paella - whatever is sounds good and is fresh/readily available.  
    ColbyLang said:
    kl8ton said:
    I know folks that refuse to eat leftovers. They literally throw any extra food away. I just shake my head. I always cook enough for at least 2 meals, and the meal is always better on the second time around
    We're the same way.  Many foods fall into two categories - stuff that gets better when re-heated and stuff that either isn't as good or needs to be re-purposed.  Soups, casseroles, jambalaya, etc is often better.  Steaks get made into steak sandwiches, chicken into chicken salad or stock.....some things you have to be creative.  Leftover fried fish will work in a stir fry, but pretty degraded if you heat it up.  If I'm starving, I don't mind eating leftover fried fish cold with some tartar sauce. But I'm weird

This is awesome.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,179
    I had someone else Chef this for me.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    SonVolt said:
    Hamburger steak with a packet of powdered beef gravy and instant mashed potatoes.  Had a craving for cafeteria food. 

That looks really good, but I don't recall ever having that craving.  Until now.  Da#n you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,044

strong with the jizz action on those tacos!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 847
    Rib palooza rolling, beautiful day here.

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 847
    Leftover pork loin sandwich. You’ll have tilt your head since our gravity vector apparently goes to the right today.

• nolaegghead
    edited March 2021
    I cheffed this from a bag of frozen potstickers. Too busy to make a proper dinner