Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For whatever reason I've been cranking the beastie boys the past hour.
    Corned beef and cabbage just started 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• update
    Looks good, John. What will you do with it? Sandwiches?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    @JohnInCarolina - Nice.  How long did the cook take?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,048

update
    Looks good, John. What will you do with it? Sandwiches?
    Yep, that’s the plan.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - Nice.  How long did the cook take?  
    About 7 hrs total.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    I can’t believe I haven’t made this before.  It’s incredible.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,502
    Good eats

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I can’t believe I haven’t made this before.  It’s incredible.
    Make with the pics.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Make with the pics.

• @JohnInCarolina: Beauty. I love that recipe and half-thought it was a staple for everyone. 

Wanna hear something embarrassing?.... Today, I made wifey some pan fried sandwiches upon her request and, as I was snapping some pics, dropped my phone in a thick, garlicky dressing. Was quite the scene. 

Here are the pics before the big catastrophe....

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811
    Make with the pics.

Fuk me that looks good!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3 said:

Green beans and a meatloaf here.
    This cook ain’t no slouch either! Yum. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811
    @GrateEggspectations Thank you kind sir.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,614
    Glad you finally gave it a go!  It's in a regular rotation here.  I don't SV, but this would easily Food Saver and SV months later.  Wait until tomorrow! (Assuming you have leftovers).
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    kl8ton said:
    Glad you finally gave it a go!  It's in a regular rotation here.  I don't SV, but this would easily Food Saver and SV months later.  Wait until tomorrow! (Assuming you have leftovers).
    We have some.  The recipe makes plenty.  We’ll use it in another meal this week for sure, and probably still have some left to vac seal.  It’s good sh!t!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Mattman3969 Those look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    A question for those of you who've done the pepper stout beef.  I only used one large green pepper, instead of 2 as the recipe calls for.  I was just eyeballing things and 1 seemed like more than enough for the size pan and chuck roast that I had.  

In the end the peppers had seemingly dissolved into the beef, along with the onions and jalapenos.  The flavor was there but you really couldn't tell because basically everything had softened or dissolved into obscurity at that point. 

So I'm wondering if that's basically what those of you who have used more peppers (possibly) than I did have also observed.  Alternatively, I'm wondering if there might not be value in adding the second pepper in later on in the cook. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    A question for those of you who've done the pepper stout beef.  I only used one large green pepper, instead of 2 as the recipe calls for.  I was just eyeballing things and 1 seemed like more than enough for the size pan and chuck roast that I had.  

In the end the peppers had seemingly dissolved into the beef, along with the onions and jalapenos.  The flavor was there but you really couldn't tell because basically everything had softened or dissolved into obscurity at that point. 

So I'm wondering if that's basically what those of you who have used more peppers (possibly) than I did have also observed.  Alternatively, I'm wondering if there might not be value in adding the second pepper in later on in the cook. 
    Good question.  I've wondered the same thing - even when I use 3 peppers - one of each color.  The pulp of the peppers end up adding some texture  but after all that cooking they just take on the flavor of the whole pan and don't retain their distinct flavor.  However, I didn't think about adding one later in the cook.  That might be a good modification. 

On another note, we've found that 12 oz of beer is the right amount for a 3-5 pound roast.  So, to play around with the flavors we have replaced some of the liquid with chimichurri, BBQ sauce, Sriracha, and combinations of those - keeping the total liquid at 12 oz.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Foghorn said:

Good question.  I've wondered the same thing - even when I use 3 peppers - one of each color.  The pulp of the peppers end up adding some texture  but after all that cooking they just take on the flavor of the whole pan and don't retain their distinct flavor.  However, I didn't think about adding one later in the cook.  That might be a good modification. 

On another note, we've found that 12 oz of beer is the right amount for a 3-5 pound roast.  So, to play around with the flavors we have replaced some of the liquid with chimichurri, BBQ sauce, Sriracha, and combinations of those - keeping the total liquid at 12 oz.
    Thanks Dan.  I did see an earlier post of yours where you mentioned mixing in some of that.  I’m sure there are a lot of variations on this, even though the base recipe really is very good.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    No pics, so it must not have happened...

But.. I supposedly chef'd potatoes au gratin (kale, mushrooms, sweet + russet potatoes, gruyere, garlic, cream, a bit of sodium citrate) and SV'ed a pork tenderloin. 

Mushrooms in potatoes au gratin is a winner. caliqueen is usually not a fan of cheesy, carby foods, but she asked for this to be in the regular rotation. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,026
    Pic, but no back-story:

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.