Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now? Mk2

Comments

• johnnyp said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    @johnnyp I pull the membrane and trim dam near all the fat off when I cook them.
    I guess I’ll throw my specific question out. 

Fast forward to 11:30 in the video. The butcher instructor talks about an outer fascia-like muscle that needs to be removed to complete the trimming. 

I grabbed these plate ribs from from my butcher today. They have a layer that I’m not sure how to identify. Does this top layer need to be trimmed off? 

Sorry for the mass tagging, I can’t remember who the big beef rib aficionados are, but I think I’ve seen y’all post on the topic. @The Cen-Tex Smoker @lousubcap @Nature Boy @SciAggie  @shtgunal3 . Anyone is free to engage in the conversation, though 
    Probably a little late but I also pull the membrane and trim all the fat off the top. That’s all I ever do and I’m not aware of any other trimming that needs to be done. One of the simplest trim jobs that I know of. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    johnnyp said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    @johnnyp I pull the membrane and trim dam near all the fat off when I cook them.

Fast forward to 11:30 in the video. The butcher instructor talks about an outer fascia-like muscle that needs to be removed to complete the trimming. 

I grabbed these plate ribs from from my butcher today. They have a layer that I’m not sure how to identify. Does this top layer need to be trimmed off? 

Sorry for the mass tagging, I can’t remember who the big beef rib aficionados are, but I think I’ve seen y’all post on the topic. @The Cen-Tex Smoker @lousubcap @Nature Boy @SciAggie  @shtgunal3 . Anyone is free to engage in the conversation, though 
    Brother P, along with brother Tex, I apologize for being late on the draw. And for the record, I am certainly not one of the smart guys. However I will offer my thoughts just the same for what they are worth. 
    As you asked, I skipped to the 11:30 mark of the video and took a peek. I would like to point out one thing immediately. The ribs you were looking at on the video was just removed from the carcass. So yes, at that point in time the fascia needed to be removed. You were looking at ribs cut straight from the carcass. Not commodity cut ribs that you will find in stores for sale. 
    With that said and aside, more often than not, and I would safely say that 98% percent of the time when you purchase commodity cuts in the store the vast majority of the fascia has been removed for you. Of course there will always be some fat and sinew remaining. But the fascia should and will usually already be removed for you. It is common for very minute bits to remain. But this is true for just about all cuts. 
    As brother Tex has already said above, and he said it quite elegantly if I may be so bold to say, simply trim excess fat and any “pieces/parts” that are unfitting to the eye. 
    I apologize again for being late my friend. And by all means, if one of the more astute people chime in follow their advice accordingly. Good luck my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,501
    Creekstone ribs. I'll post a thread about it later 😁
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    thanks for the input, guys. I called and spoke to the butcher this morning as well. 

@SGH Generally speaking, youre absolutely right about commodity cuts. What gave me pause, is that this was a fancy-pants hipster butcher that does whole animal butchering, not just cutting subprimals.  They weren’t done processing their most recent cow and cut this directly off the side of beef, in front of me. It wasn’t until watching the above video, and comparing, that I feared the uppermost layer may have been inadvertently left on. 

If it’s not raising any red flags with you fellas, and the butcher gave it a-ok, I feel pretty good about it. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SGH
    johnnyp said:
    If it’s not raising any red flags with you fellas, and the butcher gave it a-ok, I feel pretty good about it. 

The only flag that it raises to me is the light the fire and cook it flag 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp said:
    shtgunal3 said:

Probably a little late but I also pull the membrane and trim all the fat off the top. That’s all I ever do and I’m not aware of any other trimming that needs to be done. One of the simplest trim jobs that I know of. 
    I do trim off all the silver skin under the fat cap as well so I essentially  trim down to the meat.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    edited June 2020
    I am commenting simply because there were six hundred and sixty six comments. Trying to make that number go the way of the Buffalo. Just doing my small part to keep the forum great 👍 

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just got rear ended by a jeep wrangler full of people whose lives matter. Could smell the weed when we were checking the damage and he told me the dent would buff out. He went back to get his insurance info when i said I was calling the police and he hit the gas and crossed all the lanes on I85 and got off and through the hospital there. Luckily my wife had video of them waving us over and the guy walking up to the car so we have his face and license plate. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    @SGH - I intentionally experienced my first and likely last tandem sky dive on 6/6/6.  I played the "all or nothing" ride from 13.2K feet.  That first step... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH - I intentionally experienced my first and likely last tandem sky dive on 6/6/6.  I played the "all or nothing" ride from 13.2K feet.  That first step... B)
    You are a braver man than me brother Cap 👍

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    SGH said:
    lousubcap said:
    You are a braver man than me brother Cap 👍
    Seeing the rigs, hardware and machinery you work with I doubt that. We can have a friendly conversation at the Zoom Friday watering hole gathering.  Schedule it-linked here. Friday night around 9 PM EDT things get rolling.  
    Community And Friday Night Foruming  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    edited June 2020
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    Thanks Brigett and Carey @nolaegghead for the Masks ( now mandatory in Ca) and Awesome Jerky ...

Great People !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    edited June 2020
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
    @lit sounds like you overreacted... shocker!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    ColtsFan said:
    I strongly dislike you and @thetrim  right now!  My ribs were scheduled to arrive Monday.  I got them Thursday at slightly less than room temp. That was to be my Father's Day cook.  That 5 letter delivery service must have dropped the ball.   Of course Creekstone made it right even though it wasn't on them.   They looked so good, when I called I went ahead and had them throw another slab in.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    I don't believe that insurance companies are going to pay uninsured motorist without a police report. I have been in s similar spot 38 years ago. An older woman decided to make a right hand turn from the inside lane when my front bumper was about even to the halfway mark of her car on the right lane. She said that she would pay for it even though she didn't have insurance. When I hadn't heard from her in two weeks I mailed her a letter threatening legal action. She called me and told me that her house had burned down even though the land line was ringing in it just fine.
     Rear ending a car makes you financially liable. Driving with out insurance is a $1200.00 fine locally. Leaving the scene of the accident to avoid the police is a crime. Insurance won't pay without a police report. Lit didn't shove a Glock up their nose he merely did what has occurred in every accident that I have been in in 45 years, start to call the police.
  • Lit
    edited June 2020
    No i didn't want to sink this thread. Pretty **** situation im going to be out my deductible if they cant find this guy or he doesnt have insurance. I grabbed some beers and headed to the pool.
  • Lit
    I don't believe that insurance companies are going to pay uninsured motorist without a police report. I have been in s similar spot 38 years ago. An older woman decided to make a right hand turn from the inside lane when my front bumper was about even to the halfway mark of her car on the right lane. She said that she would pay for it even though she didn't have insurance. When I hadn't heard from her in two weeks I mailed her a letter threatening legal action. She called me and told me that her house had burned down even though the land line was ringing in it just fine.
     Rear ending a car makes you financially liable. Driving with out insurance is a $1200.00 fine locally. Leaving the scene of the accident to avoid the police is a crime. Insurance won't pay without a police report. Lit didn't shove a Glock up their nose he merely did what has occurred in every accident that I have been in in 45 years, start to call the police.
    We called the police when I was chasing them they couldnt do anything until we stopped. They lost me speeding through the hospital and we called back and got a police report. I filed insurance and they are going to work with the detective. We have a full video from the point where they were pointing for me to pull over to the guy walking up to my car. My wife got their license plate and we put it in online it was a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,501
    bucky925 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I strongly dislike you and @thetrim  right now!  My ribs were scheduled to arrive Monday.  I got them Thursday at slightly less than room temp. That was to be my Father's Day cook.  That 5 letter delivery service must have dropped the ball.   Of course Creekstone made it right even though it wasn't on them.   They looked so good, when I called I went ahead and had them throw another slab in.
    What a bummer! I'm sorry you won't be able to enjoy tomorrow 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    Well I mowed the back yard. Then I grabbed some loppers and started cutting briars, poison oak, and other vines off of the side of the house. In the process I cut the wire going from my thermostat to the outside AC unit. Going to be hot around here until Monday. Fortunately I will be out of town from tomorrow afternoon until Monday afternoon. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Smoked Pork steak

Slightly dirty fork for bonus points. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    I had a chance to play around with the Blackstone Pizza Oven this evening. I was able to launch the dough off the metal peel onto the pizza stone. The pizza wasn't exactly round after the launch but the dough didn't stick. First time without the parchment paper crutch. 

This was the first time I've ever been happy on how my dough turned out. It was a new recipe and I'm sure the 900 degree temperature helped. I'm a complete rookie when stretching the dough and making the pizza to size. Going to making more dough tonight to keep practicing. 

I didn't get a finished pic. It was a fresh mozzarella, bazil, saute mushrooms, and sardines. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    WeberWho said:
    I had a chance to play around with the Blackstone Pizza Oven this evening. I was able to launch the dough off the metal peel onto the pizza stone. The pizza wasn't exactly round after the launch but the dough didn't stick. First time without the parchment paper crutch. 

This was the first time I've ever been happy on how my dough turned out. It was a new recipe and I'm sure the 900 degree temperature helped. I'm a complete rookie when stretching the dough and making the pizza to size. Going to making more dough tonight to keep practicing. 

I didn't get a finished pic. It was a fresh mozzarella, bazil, saute mushrooms, and sardines. 

I got one of those step on cords that turn it on or off and turn it off to slide the dough on then step on it to turn it back on.
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 847
    Burgers and simmering bolognese sauce all afternoon.

• WeberWho
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:

I got one of those step on cords that turn it on or off and turn it off to slide the dough on then step on it to turn it back on.
    That would save a step from having to turn it off from underneath. Good call. Thanks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    edited June 2020
    WeberWho said:
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:

That would save a step from having to turn it off from underneath. Good call. Thanks
    It will also keep your pie round. Its hard to slide it off round when its spinning. Also your pizza looks great how was it?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Lit said:
    Just got rear ended by a jeep wrangler full of people whose lives matter. Could smell the weed when we were checking the damage and he told me the dent would buff out. He went back to get his insurance info when i said I was calling the police and he hit the gas and crossed all the lanes on I85 and got off and through the hospital there. Luckily my wife had video of them waving us over and the guy walking up to the car so we have his face and license plate. 
    Brutal. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
    Well I mowed the back yard. Then I grabbed some loppers and started cutting briars, poison oak, and other vines off of the side of the house. In the process I cut the wire going from my thermostat to the outside AC unit. Going to be hot around here until Monday. Fortunately I will be out of town from tomorrow afternoon until Monday afternoon. 
    The wires are all different colors, strip the shields and twist them together 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    edited June 2020
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:

It will also keep your pie round. Its hard to slide it off round when its spinning. Also your pizza looks great how was it?
    Thanks. Probably the best pizza I've done. I've never been happy with any of the scratch dough I've made. This was the first time I've been happy with result. Mix of 00 and all purpose flour. 

I did manage to shut off the stone from rotating. It was my fault when launching the pizza onto the stone. I sent it a little too hard. Just need some more practice. 

Minnesota