Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now? Mk2

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Just got rear ended by a jeep wrangler full of people whose lives matter. 
    Really man?  You just can’t help yourself, can you?
    I was slightly upset at the time. The whole hit and run thing will ruin your day.
    Yes I understand that in their worst moments people show you who they really are. 

Sorry you got rear ended, but... Jesus.  After all that stuff that went down with you here on the forum last time that first line from you is something else.   
    The best part is you dont even know the story and you have already judged me. They were BLM protestors hanging out of the Jeep yelling in stop and go traffic. The driver actually appears to be like middle eastern or maybe Puerto Rican and the passengers were black. The guy in the passenger seat was nice enough to throw us a peace sign when they drove off. Heres a screen shot of the driver.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    8 year payback on solar is pretty good.
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    Legume said:
    8 year payback on solar is pretty good.
    We’ve been looking into it and may pull the trigger before the fed tax credit steps down.  I think it’s 26% now, 22% next year and then zero after that in 2022, I don’t know if you figured that into your math, if not, then you would have an even quicker break even.
    Not a felon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    Eoin said:
    The 2 points with polution and an EV are:
    1. The overall efficiency of the vehicle is a lot higher than an IC engine.
    2. Once you are running an EV, any improvement in electricity generation mix from a renewables point of view is an instant gain. 

Wind and solar are big contributors here now, our mix is getting better all the time.
    EVs are the way of the future, no question.  Even putting aside the environmental impacts, they’re just a better product.
    I was hoping to get a Toyota RAV 4 Prime this coming spring but a letter to dealers leaked. Each dealer was going to get 1(one) in the first year to sell or 15,000 for the entire country. They probably will get only the tarted up version to push the price up. That leaves the VW ID 4 or the Tesla Y.local charging network for VW's, or any other CCS charging protocol vehicle is severely lacking for at least the next 3 years. The Tesla has an excellent charging network but I live 200 miles from the nearest repair center. Tesla's are also pricey with no tax credit.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,041
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I was slightly upset at the time. The whole hit and run thing will ruin your day.
    Yes I understand that in their worst moments people show you who they really are. 

Sorry you got rear ended, but... Jesus.  After all that stuff that went down with you here on the forum last time that first line from you is something else.   
    The best part is you dont even know the story and you have already judged me. They were BLM protestors hanging out of the Jeep yelling in stop and go traffic. The driver actually appears to be like middle eastern or maybe Puerto Rican and the passengers were black. The guy in the passenger seat was nice enough to throw us a peace sign when they drove off. Heres a screen shot of the driver.
    Cool story, bro.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Eoin said:
    2. Once you are running an EV, any improvement in electricity generation mix from a renewables point of view is an instant gain. 

Wind and solar are big contributors here now, our mix is getting better all the time.
    EVs are the way of the future, no question.  Even putting aside the environmental impacts, they’re just a better product.
    I was hoping to get a Toyota RAV 4 Prime this coming spring but a letter to dealers leaked. Each dealer was going to get 1(one) in the first year to sell or 15,000 for the entire country. They probably will get only the tarted up version to push the price up. That leaves the VW ID 4 or the Tesla Y.local charging network for VW's, or any other CCS charging protocol vehicle is severely lacking for at least the next 3 years. The Tesla has an excellent charging network but I live 200 miles from the nearest repair center. Tesla's are also pricey with no tax credit.
    I didn't mean to suggest they make sense for everyone *right now*.  Options are limited and in certain areas of the country charging stations are scarce. 

It's just clear that all of this is changing.  Pretty much every major automobile manufacturer is ramping up production of EVs.  There are just far too many advantages of electric motors over IC engines.  The only real question is how long the transition takes to complete.  
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Cool story, bro.
    Sucks being wrong huh?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Eoin said:

I didn't mean to suggest they make sense for everyone *right now*.  Options are limited and in certain areas of the country charging stations are scarce. 

It's just clear that all of this is changing.  Pretty much every major automobile manufacturer is ramping up production of EVs.  There are just far too many advantages of electric motors over IC engines.  The only real question is how long the transition takes to complete.  
    Not a problem, I read greencarreports.com daily and occasionally comment on the articles. The three vehicles mentioned are the size and style that suits me. Tesla Y has moved to the top of my list after a year has passed and all of the new model bugs are worked out.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Cool story, bro.
    Sucks being wrong huh?
    I don't actually want to derail yet another one of these threads over some BS argument.   So I'll let you have the last word on this and conclude whatever the F you want about it.  Goodbye now.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Eoin said:

Not a problem, I read greencarreports.com daily and occasionally comment on the articles. The three vehicles mentioned are the size and style that suits me. Tesla Y has moved to the top of my list after a year has passed and all of the new model bugs are worked out.
    A good friend of mine out in ABQ ordered one of the new Tesla Y's.  I don't think he's received it yet, but I'll check with him.  He put his order in almost as soon as you could, but I think there was a pretty long wait.  And then the pandemic hit so who knows.  
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Cool story, bro.
    Sucks being wrong huh?
    I don't actually want to derail yet another one of these threads over some BS argument.   So I'll let you have the last word on this and conclude whatever the F you want about it.  Goodbye now.  
    Happy fathers day
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

Cool story, bro.
    Sucks being wrong huh?

< plonk  >

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    There's not a better automotive sound going then firing up a naturally aspirated V-8 engine. 
    Fortunately I am old enough that the battery/charging technology will not be robust enough in my life-time to eliminate the internal combustion power plant.  
    I have one of those in the driveway, and I tend to agree with you Frank.  That being said, if you ever have the chance to experience the “insane button” in a Tesla Model S, I can highly recommend it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    lousubcap said:
    There's not a better automotive sound going then firing up a naturally aspirated V-8 engine. 
    Fortunately I am old enough that the battery/charging technology will not be robust enough in my life-time to eliminate the internal combustion power plant.  
    I have one of those in the driveway, and I tend to agree with you Frank.  That being said, if you ever have the chance to experience the “insane button” in a Tesla Model S, I can highly recommend it.
    I am quite familiar with the instant power delivered by an electric motor.  ( the US has even built a couple of electric drive submarines...but they had a reactor to deliver the energy).  I wonder how long the insane experience lasts before time to reload the juice.  Perhaps a watering hole conversation... B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    I'm assuming every EV manufacturer has their own proprietary recharging plug design?
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:
    I am quite familiar with the instant power delivered by an electric motor.  ( the US has even built a couple of electric drive submarines...but they had a reactor to deliver the energy).  I wonder how long the insane experience lasts before time to reload the juice.  Perhaps a watering hole conversation... B)

I may be wrong here, aren't all modern subs electric?  The engines/reactors only charge the batteries.  I may be mixing hollywood fantasy into my thinking tho.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:

We just refueled an 8G for the last time ever, the 742. End of an era.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    edited June 2020
    Missing the good old days when the neighborhood jerk would take his toys and go home when he got angry. Now they aren’t satisfied until they burn down everything that the rest of the group cares about. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Botch said:
    I'm assuming every EV manufacturer has their own proprietary recharging plug design?
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  
    In the US there are currently three. Chademo for the Nissan Leaf , CCS for US nonTesla built cars and European and Korean cars, and Tesla for only Tesla’s. Chademo will disappear over thee next few years. Then it will be Tesla and everyone else.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    lousubcap said:
    @cookingdude555 - All US Navy submarines are nuclear powered and the below unclassified diagram shows how it basically works.  Bottom-line all are steam turbine and mechanical reduction gear driven to the propellor.  

The electric propulsion motor is an emergency low power source that is disengaged during normal operations.  All have batteries but that is a short lived power option if the reactor shuts down.  There is also a diesel generator when things go south and you get shallow enough to raise a mast and bring in air to support the diesel.
    Way more than anyone here needs to know on Father's Day or any time for that matter.  Happy Father's Day.
    I thought this was an excellent fathers day discussion.  Very cool.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    edited June 2020
    “You know who reads books about submarines?”
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  
    In the US there are currently three. Chademo for the Nissan Leaf , CCS for US nonTesla built cars and European and Korean cars, and Tesla for only Tesla’s. Chademo will disappear over thee next few years. Then it will be Tesla and everyone else.
    Just talked to my buddy in ABQ.  He got a text a week or so ago that his car would be on the production line soon.  I'll try to remember to post an update once he gets it and has a chance to drive around.

I did just check out Doug DeMuro's review of the Model Y on YouTube - lots of cool tech in that car!
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Relaxing after a pleasant Father’s Day brunch, with a group that well, shall we say, has a history of unpleasantness. Great meal at Josephine in Nashville, and no hurt feelings or blood spilled
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Botch said:
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  
    The EU (and the UK for now 🙄) CCS is going to be mandated as the standard for all electric cars. The current system with multiple types is stupid and over complicates / adds cost to chargers.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:

Range is a big issue and you can never believe the quoted range from manufacturers. Because the drivetrain is so efficient, you notice everything that reduces range - cold air, head wind, wet road, higher speed etc. Where Tesla has the edge is that they own the whole product and provide updates to existing cars. This includes improvements in charging speed and range. 

Battery size isn't really my problem with the i3. The issues are charging speed (50 kW is too slow, Tesla do 100 kW+), number of chargers (improving fast) and reliability of chargers (no fun arriving with low battery to find the single charge point is dead).
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I recently read a reference, where Tesla achieved 400 miles from a single charge. Anybody else get the info on that...?

Curious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    YukonRon said:
    I recently read a reference, where Tesla achieved 400 miles from a single charge. Anybody else get the info on that...?

Curious.
    Great range-what about the recharge to get the next 400 miles??
    I realize I am a significant minority when asking about 400 x 2 but when you have done many cross country drives and occasional road trips to Jacksonville, FL  and soccer haulers to FL (Orlando and Tampa) as well as South Dakota the daily distance covered is the major measuring stick for me.  FWIW-
    And off soap-box.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.