Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now? Mk2

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
     Cool @ColtsFan i have one stashed out back too, can’t see it from the house, you are lucky 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,759
    SciAggie said:
    Just received my marble mortar and olive wood pestle. I’m pretty excited. It is next to the granite mortar and pestle from Thai Imports. 
    I really enjoy making stuff in these things. For just 2-4 people it’s not much work and cleanup is easy. 
    I’m looking forward to lots of pesto and aioli from this thing. 

Looks awesome. Not worried about marble not being as strong as the granite one? Been my experience that marble is pretty frail in comparison 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    edited June 2020
    SciAggie said:
    Just received my marble mortar and olive wood pestle. I’m pretty excited. It is next to the granite mortar and pestle from Thai Imports. 
    I really enjoy making stuff i he n these things. For just 2-4 people it’s not much work and cleanup is easy. 
    I’m looking forward to lots of pesto and aioli from this thing. If they are really closed form anti maintenance they are doing some serious maintenance for sure. Been getting that same message since last August. 

Awesome brother 👍
    On a related note, did Thai shutdown? For months when I went to their site it would not let you order. Just curious my friend. I always get this message. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    My bad brother Aggie. You said Thai imports. Not Temple of Thai. Apologies. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited June 2020
    ColbyLang said:
    SciAggie said:
    I really enjoy making stuff in these things. For just 2-4 people it’s not much work and cleanup is easy. 
    I’m looking forward to lots of pesto and aioli from this thing. 

Looks awesome. Not worried about marble not being as strong as the granite one? Been my experience that marble is pretty frail in comparison 
    I’ll use the granite mortar for pounding chili pastes, mustards, and other robust sauces or ingredients. I wanted the marble one for pestos, romesco, and aoili/mayonnaise. I’ve made both in the granite mortar - I just wanted the marble one. I’m a sucker for this kind of stuff. It’s cheaper than therapy...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • alaskanassasin
    We tried to schedule the butchering of a cow and they said they are backed up until May of next year. Smh
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,501
    We tried to schedule the butchering of a cow and they said they are backed up until May of next year. Smh

I have the same issue around here. A lot of the local ranchers have started offering 1/4, 1/2, whole shares due to COVID. Processors/butchers are backed up until mid 2021 so that's not much help. lol

It's a 4 hour drive to Columbus and I have a meat saw :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    I know a Amish guy, you can get ahold of him by leaving a message on the answering machine at the pallet plant ;-) I’ll bet the city slickers haven’t found him yet.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,497
    Just got back from the oldest's HS graduation. Two more to go.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Build a walk-in fridge and do it yourself. :wink:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    kl8ton said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Going fishing for the big boys. 

You back yet? 
    Yeah. . . what he asked! 
    @made it back @northGAcock and @kl8ton... by do I have a fishing story for you...  stay tuned.  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,174
    ColtsFan said:
    Creekstone beef rib separation. One will go into the freezer, and the other will be egged on Saturday 
    As far as LEO purchases, caused be equally inebriated friends, this one is pretty good.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ColtsFan said:
    Mama's been hiding her fawn in my backyard. Usually to the right of the photo between the shed and brush pile. We're basically bff's by now

EAT IT!

Sharpen up a few knives, a chainsaw and pick up a half gallon of bourbon and you should be in DIY territory.

Just had a porkchop, it was perfect but the sauce sucked, oh well just keep cookig. Keeps my mind young.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373

Sharpen up a few knives, a chainsaw and pick up a half gallon of bourbon and you should be in DIY territory.

And don't forget to wear an old pair of overalls that you don't mind getting covered in blood!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380

Prepare yourself with some "training" first by watching this video:

I've never butchered a cow, and will likely never break down a cow (while sober or inebriated) but I've watched this video many times over the years and never get tired of watching this fellow in action. So seemingly effortless.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    ColtsFan said:
    Creekstone beef rib separation. One will go into the freezer, and the other will be egged on Saturday 
    You've already gotten yours!?  Mine aren't scheduled till tomorrow.   What did you think, was it a good buy?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,501
    bucky925 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    You've already gotten yours!?  Mine aren't scheduled till tomorrow.   What did you think, was it a good buy?
    They're a great buy! I've bought them once before from Creekstone. You won't be disappointed. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,611
    Sea2Ski said:
    kl8ton said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Going fishing for the big boys. 

You back yet? 
    Yeah. . . what he asked! 
    @made it back @northGAcock and @kl8ton... by do I have a fishing story for you...  stay tuned.  
    I. Can't.  Wait.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,610
    HeavyG said:

I've never butchered a cow, and will likely never break down a cow (while sober or inebriated) but I've watched this video many times over the years and never get tired of watching this fellow in action. So seemingly effortless.

I remember 30 years ago I took a nine month old lamb to a local slaughter house. I was just one so I hogtied it’s feet and tossed it into the pickup bed. When I got there I started to take my rope off but the guy told me to wait. He put it on the floor , grabbed a 22 and shot it. Then he grabbed a knife, bled it , hung it up by a hook, and had a bare empty carcass in about 5 minutes. Now he did let it hang in a fridge for a couple of days before further processing. My rope looked like it came from a crime scene though.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,174
    HeavyG said:

Thought he was breaking down Shamoo at first.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL