Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now? Mk2

1202122232426»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I share the same concerns as Cap on this. Most of those I know using as a daily driver is typically less than 125 miles/day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,040
    YukonRon said:
    I share the same concerns as Cap on this. Most of those I know using as a daily driver is typically less than 125 miles/day.
    The times I’ve heard for recharging these things really aren’t terrible.  You can apparently get most of the way there over a lunch break or a coffee stop.  Not as quick as a gas station for sure, but it’s not prohibitive either.  You just have to plan.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    Botch said:
    I'm assuming every EV manufacturer has their own proprietary recharging plug design?
    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  
    In the US there are currently three. Chademo for the Nissan Leaf , CCS for US nonTesla built cars and European and Korean cars, and Tesla for only Tesla’s. Chademo will disappear over thee next few years. Then it will be Tesla and everyone else.
    @Gulfcoastguy, thank you for that info; things aren't as bad as I was thinking.  Once Chademo disappears it sounds more like a "Mac OS vs. all the Wintel machines" type fight.  It will be a challenge to keep a "standard" as charging rates/current/voltages advance (it's a relatively new field).  
    I was very familiar of a similar situation during the development of MIDI, or "Musical Instrument Digital Interface", around '80-'83.  A couple of visionary business leaders convinced many companies (Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Oberheim) to abandon their proprietary systems and adopt a new standard.  It was a miracle (from what I've read) but in short order, the computer-controlled music business exploded, and all parties benefitted.  I jumped in about '84, got a Yamaha sequencer and synth, a Korg synth, Roland drum machine, and Atari computer, and they all played well together with a single cable!  My later acquisitions from E-mu, Kurzweil, Oberheim and others worked just as well, and its something the music industry takes for granted nowadays (MIDI cables are being phased out, but the same protocol is now going over USB and even Wifi).  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    I am back to the forum thread original regarding WAYDRN thanks to the magnanimous move by @The_Buffalo.  Life is better this evening.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    YukonRon said:
    The times I’ve heard for recharging these things really aren’t terrible.  You can apparently get most of the way there over a lunch break or a coffee stop.  Not as quick as a gas station for sure, but it’s not prohibitive either.  You just have to plan.
    The charging tech is moving fairly rapidly. I think we put this concern away in the next 5 years.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    When I'm on the road, I am impeded by stopping.  Thus anything that reduces  time with wheels turning is a big negative.  SWMBO and kids knew that a pit stop for fuel around meal time meant I would find a station with an attached fast-food choice.  Point A to point B as fast as you can get there is the mantra.  
    No doubt the technology will catch up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    lousubcap said:
    When I'm on the road, I am impeded by stopping.  Thus anything that reduces  time with wheels turning is a big negative.  SWMBO and kids knew that a pit stop for fuel around meal time meant I would find a station with an attached fast-food choice.  Point A to point B as fast as you can get there is the mantra.  
    This continued into retirement?  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    YukonRon said:
    I recently read a reference, where Tesla achieved 400 miles from a single charge. Anybody else get the info on that...?

Curious.
    I use an App called A Better Route Planner here in the UK. It gives you a realistic route plan with recommended charging stops. If I use this latest Tesla and enter a trip to Cardiff, 217 miles, I get 30% battery remaining. That means a real 310 mile range in summer weather. BUT that takes you to 0% battery, and nobody does that, so allowing 10% buffer, the real range is nearer 280 miles. You and drop another 10 - 15 % in winter conditions. 280 miles is good, but it's not 400 miles.

As a comparison, my i3 has a rated range of 180 miles, but real winter range allowing 10% remaining charge is more like 125 miles, and that's driving carefully.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,171
    edited June 2020
    lousubcap said:
    There's not a better automotive sound going then firing up a naturally aspirated V-8 engine. 
    Fortunately I am old enough that the battery/charging technology will not be robust enough in my life-time to eliminate the internal combustion power plant.  
    Disagree.  Jay Leno has a car with a 27 liter V12 Merlin.  That my friend is the best sounding engine going, and it is in a car. (Didn't want to bump this thread, but the car is just to cool).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27310212/jay-lenos-rolls-royce-packs-a-27-liter-v-12-from-a-wwii-fighter-plane/

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Eoin
    edited June 2020
    lousubcap said:
    There's not a better automotive sound going then firing up a naturally aspirated V-8 engine. 
    Fortunately I am old enough that the battery/charging technology will not be robust enough in my life-time to eliminate the internal combustion power plant.  
    Disagree.  Jay Leno has a car with a 27 liter V12 Merlin.  That my friend is the best sounding engine going, and it is in a car. (Didn't want to bump this thread, but the car is just to cool).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27310212/jay-lenos-rolls-royce-packs-a-27-liter-v-12-from-a-wwii-fighter-plane/

Guy Martin

a) Mad as a box of frogs

b) ex TT motorbike racer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q and c) Owns a Merlin engine https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9aO5yvT3k
  • lousubcap
    I offer this- a NA V-8 Ferrari engine in a Maserati as I couldn't find a crisp straight-up Ferrari sound track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lz1O7fC2U  
  • Eoin
    lousubcap said:
    I offer this- a NA V-8 Ferrari engine in a Maserati as I couldn't find a crisp straight-up Ferrari sound track:
    Used Maseratis are really cheap here. One of my suppliers is in Modena, near Maserati. It's a pretty anonymous looking factory!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,633
    Straight pipe'd Ferrari V-12
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    lousubcap said:
    Can confirm that the Maserati does sound great.  My dad has a Levante and when you switch it into sport mode, it's a thing of beauty.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Since the original is back, perhaps ask the buffalo to sink this one  ;)
    canuckland
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15116405/2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-black-series-first-drive-review/

I've had some track time in some of these. Black series AMG cars are amazing. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    edited June 2020
    caliking said:
    From the care package @caliking personally delivered last year, good stuff. Thanks Ashish.
    TX 
    Hope you enjoyed it. One of the TX products to be proud of :)

The much touted BTG  Bacon Jam Brussels sprouts recipe is easy, and pretty good,  too. 

We have been enjoying the jerky and other contraband you sent back with me last summer. caliprince really liked the Hakka sausage. 
    I’m sure Brussel sprouts with BTG bacon jam is good, but ain’t using up the jar on one dish!
    canuckland